Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Infilling old window – padding out material?
  • stevextc

After a big job replacing rotten joists and removing moulds (thanks to STW ended up finding some tile the exact thickness needed to shim metric to imperial)

Now I have the “bookshelf/window” into the garage to remove. (125×104 cm) Previously a bit of hardboard backing onto 1920’s window now removed.

I’ve stuck in 100mm of celotex plus adding another 50mm “other foam insulation” on the other (garage) side but I’ve still got >60mm to fill with something on the living side.
    There is a BIG extractor fan in the garage (and will be Jnr’s new bedroom) so some sound insulation would be good.

I don’t want to use plaster board (mould re-occurence) so planning to use some cement board before plastering once I have a reasonable gap to fill.
    The garage side will have stuff hung from it so I’d planned just some 18mm OSB3, possibly doubled up?

In my parts bin: 1x cement board (will need top buy another 3)
    More than enough flooring chipboard (22mm) … lots of waterproof membrane

The celotex currently has a 22mm frame outside (just screwed in whilst the sprayfoam and gapfill cured so could be removed but conveniently would hold the chipboard)

I guess I could also stick in a semi-recessed shelf/cupboard instead and use the 22mm chipboard just as a backing?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4uUikHken8CCgBK7
    Original

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGgWenFr8Nu9PKBn8
    Before trimming foam and 22mm batons

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

I’ve still got >60mm to fill with something on the living side.

3 layers of 20mm polystyrene or celotex.  Or just use something squashy like rock wool

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

For sound insulation you need mass, and no air gaps. I think multiple separated layers are also good.

stevextc

3 layers of 20mm polystyrene or celotex. Or just use something squashy like rock wool

Could be one way to go. I probably have enough 50 then an extra thick bonding layer over the cement board which might deaden sound.

For sound insulation you need mass, and no air gaps. I think multiple separated layers are also good.

For the sound the chipboard seems ideal.. I’m just questioning the wisdom of using it in a wall?
    That said it’s got to be better than the single sheet of hardboard and glass there before!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.