• This topic has 110 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Inexplicably expensive things
  • zokes
    Free Member

Coffee and Tea in cafes.
    Hot water, tea bag and some milk! £3 please…
    in fact any drink in any public establishment, with any drink the main constituent is water so they are all over priced.

That’s simple. You’re not paying for the coffee, tea, or even the water. You’re paying for the rent, the bills, and the staff wages. The drink is just a means of extracting these costs from you.

jimw
    Free Member

I the early 80’s I needed the cap to an Alfa 1600GT Junior brake fluid reservoir. I made the mistake of going to an Alfa dealer- the part was in stock because at the time the 105 series Spyder was still on sale. They wanted nearly £40 for it. I worked out that they were asking nearly twice the amount for a piece of pressed aluminium as its weight of silver would be worth. I bought one from a scrappy for a couple of quid which is of course what I should have done in the first place

bikebouy
    Free Member

The
    Mrs.

Cougar

any drink in any public establishment

Aye. Back when I was a student working in a bowling alley, soft drinks from the Wunder-gun were the single biggest markup in the place. The largest size we did (you know, that vats that sold for two or three quid) cost us about 12p.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Children
    and Children’s Shoes

neilthewheel

Contact lens fluid.

slowoldman

Galaxy Note 7. Very expensive for a firelighter.

aP
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    Glasses are massively over-priced, but it’s largely because people won’t pay much for eye exams etc so the cost has to be hidden in the glases.

🙂 I don’t pay for eye-tests either…
    My current frames are made by theo, and mykita. theo have provided spares for 5 year old frames for me, doesn’t alter the fact that I need to get progressive lenses towards the end of this year, in 1.74 (or potentially 1.9) index, bi-aspheric….

alpin
    Free Member

€€€€€€

Oh… Not that inexplicable.

funkmasterp

Windows and doors always seem to be ridiculously priced to me. Totally agree with glasses and children’s shoes too. We always buy a few sizes in the Clark’s sale to cover is from having to remortgage the house.

nickc

Coffee and Tea in cafes.

you didn’t think that through, did you?

GrahamS

Contact lens fluid.

I see you that and raise you “inkjet printer ink”

“For example, HP makes the HP300, which contains 5ml of black ink and sells for about £13. It also makes the HP300XL, which has more ink – about 16ml – and sells for around £20-£25.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/feb/23/printer-ink-cartridges-paying-more-getting-less

vickypea
    Free Member

Yes, taps!
    Mr Pea is a plumber, and is shocked that I think taps should be about £25.

Maccruiskeen- I’m 48 and yet to purchase a tap 🙂

funkmasterp

Razor blades

wicki
    Free Member

Single ring cranksets. 🙁

yosemitepaul

Di2 Battery.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

The
    Mrs.
    Agreed, his Mrs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, taps!
    Mr Pea is a plumber, and is shocked that I think taps should be about £25.

Plumbers (and trades in general)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hmmmm, every tap in this place has been purchased by me.
    Maybe i’m doing it wrong.

I can confirm that they are expensive. (about 6500 sek for the fancy shower one, about half way up the available selection, no way i’m paying 12000+ sek for a showertap. Even if it is shiny)

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Plumbers (and trades in general)

Weeksys plumber mate, apparently!

wrecker
    Free Member

Razor blades

Absolutely. It’s disgusting! How can a single one be
    Haven’t been clean shaven for over a decade now and I don’t miss buying those **** things!

singletrackmind

Beer in Indian restaurants , ahh thats what the floor to ceiling windows are for. …..
    Any foodstuff that contains Quinola
    Isle of Wight ferry prices
    Branded drugs V supermarket drugs ( Neurofen 6 x price of Ibuprofen )

Cougar

Razor blades

Nonsense. 10p each.

Or 40p each for the best you can get.

vickypea
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon- if you knew how much a plumber actually brings home in pay, you wouldn’t say that. Mr Pea works really long, filthy and exhausting hours.
    What’s your job? Let’s see if I think you’re worth your income 😛

PJM1974
    Free Member

Referendums.

Oh and trains.

egb81
    Free Member

My glasses inc lenses = £10
    Cost of new lenses with a slightly different prescription put into the old frame = £30.
    Go figure.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Replacement batteries for power tools.
    Cheaper to buy a new drill than an extra battery.

ton

anything ‘ENDURO’

P-Jay
    Free Member

Razor blades, don’t get me started – I’m about to declare a fatwa on Gillette, £15 for 4! I remember moaning when they were £5 for 5!

I’m aware you can shave like it’s the 1930s for pennies a blade, but it sucks.

I got temped by a Phillips One Blade the other day, £23 and the blades last months (they say) seems £23 buys you the chance to tease your stubble with a buzzing plastic watchacallit for an hour to little result. Bobbings.

I’m going to grow a beard, that’ll learn ’em.

Cougar

I’m aware you can shave like it’s the 1930s for pennies a blade, but it sucks.

It really doesn’t. I get a better, and easier, shave with an old DE razor than a modern 37-blade thing. The one thing the Sensor is better at is edging, so I use that to shape beards and sideboards (a blade lasts for months) and the DE for day-to-day shaving.

coconut
    Free Member

Gortex… Probably cheap as chips in China… and Cinema tickets!

CountZero

Curtains.

That is all.
    Hmmmm, let’s see you buy the material of your choice, plus lining, plus the material for doing the top part where the fittings go, properly measuring up, cutting, machining, and getting the whole thing done correctly first time, oh, and having the space to lay everything out, and a really good machine to sew them with.
    I’ll give you a clue: a good machine could cost you a couple of hundred quid for starters.
    A good friend of mine is a trained seamstress, I know how much work goes into even a simple little job, to make certain it’s done right first time.
    That skill takes years, and doesn’t come cheap either.
    And a really good pair of curtains could easily last thirty to forty years…
    Now let’s see your attempt at doing it.

jools182
    Free Member

Chipboard/melamine units

A wall bathroom unit in wickes, made from crappy chipboard with a shiny white finish

£500

Absolutely ridiculous

JoeG
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

Five Guys,

Went for the first time last weekend, captive audience.

It was lovely, maybe 5%-10% nicer than Burgar King, but 2 entry level bugers, 2 small chips, 2 pops – TWENTY SEVEN POUNDS.

maccruiskeen

Employees.

They just ‘know thing’s and ‘do things’ then expect to get paid for it without giving me anything of actual real tangible value, like gold or coal, in return.

Don’t even get me started on ‘ideas’ – thats not even an imaginary thing!

Yet when they go out and spend that money (my money by the way because they haven’t given me any actually things for it in return) they just moan about how much of its wasted on people’s time and effort, rather than things you can actually weight on scales. But thats exactly what you’ve just been paid for you idiots! The only ‘stuff’ you actually bring into work all week every week is your sandwiches- and then you bloody eat them!

😆

tuboflard

Waitrose.
    Run flat tyres on my car.
    Club replica football kit.
    Lego.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

– I’m about to declare a fatwa on Gillette, £15 for 4! I remember moaning when they were £5 for 5!

It’s not the blades that are expensive, it’s the marketing BS and being gullible enough to fall for it
    £2.99 for 5

Cougar

I’ll give you a clue: a good machine could cost you a couple of hundred quid for starters.

Two hundred quid and you’re up and running in a trade (or even just a hobbyist)? That’s a bargain.

A good friend of mine is a trained seamstress, I know how much work goes into even a simple little job, to make certain it’s done right first time.
    That skill takes years, and doesn’t come cheap either.

I doubt the million dollar curtains you get from [department store] are hand crafted by a professional seamstress who’s making certain it’s “done right.” They’ll be done by machine or by Far Eastern sweat shops paying tuppence a fortnight to put a hem on a big square of fabric.

Wibble
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Inexplicably expensive things’ is closed to new replies.