Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Induction hob track world
  • prettygreenparrot

Ugh. My Whirlpool SMP778CNEIXL hob broke/I killed it with steam and poor frozen goods handling.

I need a new hob. I have my eye on a Miele KM 7575 FR. Anyone used one of these? Other induction hobs you’ve used and loved?

Things I’d like this hob to have:
    Price <£3,000
    Steel frame
    Surface mounting
    Will fit in a 1m wide worktop
    5 or 6 cooking zones, or full-surface heating
    Individual controls for each cooking zone/pot position

I’m using a Tefal Everyday single induction hob in the meantime. Fierce heating and the low setting is still super high.

catdras
    Free Member

I feel like a right commoner compared to you both. I’ve got a zanussi one – This one It boils water really fast on the boost mode. No issues with it and I reckon it looks nicer than others.

trail_rat
    Free Member

AEG with individual sliders for each zone.

Selecting zone then heat is a pain in the arse when ever I am forced to cook with it (parents /in-laws/air bnbs) and was worth the extra to get away from it. Hell I’d have had mechanical knobs if I could.

prettygreenparrot

Thanks. Some more food for thought there.

@highpeakrider
    Siemens – I’d seen the IQ700 but figured it was a 2-step process for setting the power on a zone: tap zone; select power.

@catdras
    , that Zanussi one looks pretty good: all metal casing on the underside. The Miele has a plastic box covering the gubbins!

@trail_rat
    – agreed. Picking the zone and then the power on the Whirlpool was OK, but I can see that individual controls will be easier and more intuitive. And agreed on knobs. I’ve seen a few with knobs but if I remember correctly many were SMEG. And I’m not going to buy another SMEG appliance, ever.

kormoran
    Free Member

I cant help specifically but I have got a zanussi with proper knobs and it is a joy to use compared to sliders and touch pads which drive me mad.

I

bigalid

We had an older Miele induction that at the time was horrendously expensive, that died after 10+ years of abuse, when a pan caught the edge of the glass funny and it shattered.
    We looked at getting the newer equivalent Miele to replace it, but it was in no way as well made as the old one.

We went for the Zanussi one the same as Catdras,

It works better than the Miele one did, uses less power yet seams to heat faster..?
    Also its actually a AEG hob underneath, AEG and Zannusi are all part of Electrolux group.

For reference I am a commercial catering equipment engineer, so deal with these sort of things everyday, and I would recommend the Zanussi to anyone

b33k34

I’ve been told, but can’t confirm, that there are only a couple of manufacturers making induction hob tech so, while you might get some fancier electronic controls, the underlying ‘element’ is the same across many manufacturers (and the glass top is nearly always made by Schott).

Cheap ones seem to run at full power and pulse on and off, more expensive ones regulate the power down constantly (which is definitely better). Miele are the best for anything wet – dishwashers and washing machines/driers. I’ve used their ovens and induction hobs and not convinced they’re any better than Siemens/Bosch/Neff (which are all from the same company) but they’re a lot more expensive.

ransos
    Free Member

Our Siemens one has been flawless and copes with my fat fingers.

Aidy
    Free Member

We’ve got the Neff one with a magnetic dial – it’s okay. It’s a bit annoying having to select the hob you want to adjust first, but nicer to clean than one with fixed knobs.

prettygreenparrot

Thanks again.
    Like TVs, it seems that the underlying components in induction hobs are fairly similar. And that there are many brands but few manufacturers.

Fat-boy-fat

Got the Miele one with the built in extractor fan. No problems at all 3 years in. Fantastic bit of kit.

Marko

AEG one here. It works. It boils stupidly fast. It beeps a lot. Can’t fault it, but this is the first time we’ve had and induction hob. The new Pans (Samuel Groves) cost more than the hob!

jimdubleyou

Our Seimens one with flex zones is pretty good.

Two flex zones either side, and a wok / big pan flex zone in the middle. Can split the flex zones if you want, or use the pan slide function.

Only criticism is there’s only two power sliders so if you have all 5 zones running independently you might have to press the zone you want to control first. A minor inconvenience

steveb

We have an 800mm 5 ring Bosch, love it.
    Look at the max boost rating, the Bosch has 3 rings capable of 3.7kw, can use 2 simultaneously at that power. As noted above, many brands are part of a small number of actual manufacturers, i.e Bosch, neff and another I can’t remember are all the same stable with direct equivalent products.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

We splashed out on a Rangemaster Nexus a couple of years ago – lovely. Not cheap but we both love it.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got one with a touch-thingy control, never again! Proper knobs please.
    Also prefer gas, but can’t have gas (no mains and nowhere for bottles) Induction is OK, no worse than normal electric, but the controls are rubbish

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

.. funnily enough, came back to this thread to say that the biggest reason for loving the Rangemaster, apart from the way it cooks, is the big, tactile (and beautifully weighted) manual controls.

Those touch sensitive things can go in the bin.

a11y

I’m currently staying in a holiday home with touch-sensitive controls for the hob. ARRRGGGHHH.

When we move away from a gas hob at home I’ll be seeking out an induction hob with proper knobs.

andrewreay

Not much to add to the above, other than to further bemoan the lack of separate, physical dials to control the heat.

I just don’t get the fixation with flush finishes. I love the convenience and power of induction and the controllability of gas.

So why hobble one of the key benefits of induction by making the controllability such a faff? Isn’t there a significant demand for gas-style controllers on an induction hob? The controls don’t need to be physical valves so they could make them cool and discreet.

Anyway, the least bad options are those with separate controllers IMHO, and if you want a decent brand, the Fisher & Paykel looks to be as good as the Miele in terms of functions and power (43A!).

Fisher & Paykel hob linky

Aidy
    Free Member

Induction is OK, no worse than normal electric

Induction is *way* better than any other kind of electric hob.

Aidy
    Free Member

I just don’t get the fixation with flush finishes.

Flush finish was a hard requirement from my partner when we replaced ours – she likes that it’s easy to clean.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have had this Neff one for over a year now, works well, touch control very easy to use, lots of cooking options, and can be operated from your mobile phone (wifi)

Was easy enough to fit myself

https://www.neff-home.com/uk/productlist/hobs/induction-hobs/T59TF6RN0#/Tabs=section-highlights/Togglebox=accessories/Togglebox=combinables/Togglebox=manuals/Togglebox=accessoriesOthers/

giant_scum
    Free Member

Do you really need a new hob?
    I cracked the glass on mine a couple of weeks back and managed to source a replacement glass!

iamtheresurrection

We’ve had the Miele 7575 for about 18 months.

It does the job, is pretty quiet and seems to cope well with a lot of cooking, as you’d expect.

It sometimes doesn’t sense the pan quite as accurately as I’d like and the ‘heat’ turns off without you realising, but minor issue really.

I don’t exactly treat it kindly and it’s still unmarked, used nearly every night. Big roasting pans out of the oven shoved around while I’m making a sauce and no dramas.

Had a few marks that didn’t want to come off. We use BarKeepers Friend in it and doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Not sure what it does over a lower price unit really, I’d have rather have spent half the amount but it’s what was available from Miele at the time.

Happy enough with it, hard to get more enthusiastic than that.

chakaping
    Free Member

I hate using my parents’ touchy-screeny one, I need a new hob and might consider one with proper knobs instead of gas (if it were affordable).

Any links to such hobs?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Samsung here for about 6 years. If I was shopping again these would be my key requirements

All Flexizones not rings, so you can just dump a pan/pot anywhere
    Takes any size pan/pot (the samsung is a bit fussy where you place a little moka pot). You def need to check min pan size, a milk pan might be too small for some hobs.
    Individual controls for individual zones (I thought I’d get used to one control to switch between zones but still haven’t)
    Decent fine control, mine has 15 settings + P, so 16, which is adequate. Not essential but would be nice to have the removable magnetic knob option but TBH I don’t have a problem with digital touch controls.
    The timer gets used quite often

prettygreenparrot

Update

I bought the Miele KM 7575 FR from Donaghy brothers NI. Good price. Reasonable delivery speed.

After a novice installation hiccough (missed the single to triple phase jumpers on the diagram – hob unresponsive) and the need to replace the shortest 4mm CSA mains cable with something longer (CEF only had 6mm IRL so they sold me it for the price of 4mm) it is a revelation!

Boost++ brings litres of water to the boil very quickly. The Whirlpool was sluggish even on P.

The configurable ‘keep warm’ is great when set to 60C.

The settings and flex zones are super.

Best though? The touch controls are responsive and do not freak out when they see typical lid drips and spills.

Thanks all for your comments in the thread.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.