Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Induction cookers and pans ( pros and cons plus recommendations )
  • trout
    Free Member

Hi  we are thinking of changing our old and crappy gas cooker  and it is also Mrs T`s birthday coming up and she has indicated to the kids she wants new pans .

so I am thinking of making sure the kids buy pans that are ok for induction cooking

as the new cooker wont be for a few paydays yet .

so the questions are  is induction cooking  good  , bad , or the same  as gas.

which pans  are also good

househusband

We’ve had a Bosch induction for several years now and I’m a convert – not that we have a choice as there’s no gas in the village we moved to.  So easy to keep clean, just (and this did come as a pleasant surprise) as controllable as gas.  Timer function useful too.

Any pan with a ferrous base will work; most of ours are IKEA.

Edukator
    Free Member

Like anything it takes time to get used to. Once you’ve found the number that corresponds to simmer for each of your pans and which one corresponds to gas flat out I suspect you’ll find it easier to control than gas.

petefromearth

Have some (commercial) plug-in single induction hobs. In general they have been great, very easy to clean and powerful. Only downside is the ones we have are not good for simmering. Rather than reduce in power they pulse at 100%. If I was buying for home I’d want to check that wasn’t the case.

Pans depends on your budget. We’ve got le creuset stainless ones at home which are very nice. Wilkos own brand ones look almost as good and much cheaper.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Watching with interest as we’re hoping to change from and electric range with gas hobs to a pair of built in ovens and a big FO induction hob.

The pan stands on our current range cooker do my head in. Look nice in the pictures but in reality are nothing but a pain in the ass.

Looking forward to an easy to clean hob plus hopefully a bit more control (current hobs don’t quite go low enough).

cranberry
    Free Member

I have had induction for a couple of years. Wild horses wouldn’t be able to drag me back to gas.

Induction is very controllable and quick to respond to changes in power. When cooking your kitchen doesn’t get as hot as when cooking with gas, cleaning after or even during cooking is great – lift a pan, wipe and put the pan back down again.

Any pan that a magnet sticks to will work. I use Le Creuset pas- that’s what I had before I got the hob.

Not cheap to fit if you need to add extra group onto your fusebox and run extra wire, but powerful, responsive and easy to clean.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Got one recently. It’s better than a gas hob for the reason above.

They are great.

Works very well with both Le Creuset and some cheaper ss ones from TX Maxx.

RoterStern
    Free Member

We’ve also got a Bosch hob ( we were told they are the best ones) and we find it much better than the ceramic hob in our old kitchen. As said before cleaning is easy and they are very controllable. The only slightly annoying thing is that if something boils over the hob beeps at you and turns itself off. Generally though I find them much superior.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

New house has no gas mains, so had to go induction. New kitchen in and we went for a Neff induction hob. I was a bit apprehensive moving from gas, but I love our hob.

Went with a new set of pans from Pro-cook, their top end ones. They can boil a litre of water unbelievably quickly.

It does take time getting used to it, but you have a lot of control. The timer function is great along with the ability to section off areas. So once you have cooked a roast, you can put the whole roasting tray on the hob and simmer down the juices for a gravy.

I couldn’t recommend the pro-cook pans enough, really god quality and they heat up super quick. https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-signature-cookware-set-8-piece

With the sets, you can mix and match too, so swap a pan for another size or type.

Selled
    Free Member

Same as above, changed to induction some years ago and would never change back.  Also, got rid of electric kettle and use a stove top kettle because it’s so quick.  Additionally, for the ultra clean freaks, you can lay a sheet of paper on the hob and the pan on top of it! (I don’t do this but have tried it!).

trout
    Free Member

well thanks for the replies  very encouraged by the positive feedback

just need to find the right cooker now needs to last 20 years

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You probs didn’t notice when you came and did my carpets last year, had just had a Samsung induction hob installed

I’ve always had gas and gas is great and would happily have gas again, but induction is better (and safer). Afaia the only downsides are that you can’t sear on induction and it doesn’t work as well as gas with a wok (you can buy special induction woks, but no idea how they compare. I think if i was a wok user I’d maybe get a single gas burner. Apart from that, it’s all the advantages of electric (easy to wipe down, clean lines etc) and all the advantages of gas (instant heat, instant control).  Most also have timer, countdown, pause, child lock etc. Some have multi zones so you can use a griddle or roasting tray etc. I presume they are very efficient as well, as it’s all instant and only the bottom of the pan is heated so there is no wasted energy or very little.

colournoise

re – the magnet comment a few posts above. I take then that good old cast iron pans work on induction?

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, induction is good. Nice to have lots of power, instantly, and plenty of power levels.

I’m not so keen on the touch controls. It seems a lot of higher end induction hobs have these. It looks neat, and is easy to clean. But they can be a bit slow, eg you have to hold it down for a few seconds to turn it on. And they beep, which is annoying. I would rather proper knobs.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Of course you can properly sear on an induction hob… it’s just slightly different.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Might not have meant sear, I’m not a cook. I meant when you put something in a live flame as part of the prep process er………peppers?, marshmallows?  LOL

sbob
    Free Member

No good for proper wok cooking, good for pretty much everything else.

I’m very pro-gas, but am used to professional kitchens. Induction is probably just as good for most people, who can’t use a wok. 😉

TheFlyingOx

Another who isn’t totally convinced by induction, but for pans I don’t think you can beat the Circulon Momentum stuff for combination of quality and price. Yes, Le Creuset are better, but they’re heavier and at least double the price.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Re pans, Dawsons in the main car park, Skipton have a decent range and they honour their online website prices in the shop (ecookshop). Boundary Mills have a cook shop

cranberry
    Free Member

re – the magnet comment a few posts above. I take then that good old cast iron pans work on induction?

Yes, cast iron works very well.

jimdubleyou

We’re about to put one in our remodelled kitchen after being persuaded they are a good thing by a couple of folk.

Good job you’re not looking to buy soon, as Bosch/Neff/Siemens are having supply chain issues and stocks are not expected to arrive in stores until April/May.

We are looking at having a hob sized hole in our worktop for nearly a month 🙁

mefty
    Free Member

Mains gas is a lot cheaper per kWH than electricity, so any electric hob is more expensive to run.

stevied
    Free Member

Chris, get yourself over to Boundary Mill in Colne. They’ve got loads of really good cookware at very good prices. The Meyer and Pro-Cook stuff is very good 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Mains gas is a lot cheaper per kWH than electricity, so any electric hob is more expensive to run.

Gas is indeed cheaper but it’s also far less efficient than induction. There’s little difference in running costs.

mefty
    Free Member

It is about 50% as efficient but 25% of the price so still considerably cheaper.

joebristol

As above we have a 5 ring induction job which was a replacement for gas when we got a new kitchen 4 years ago.

Advantages:

Easier to clean

More controllable heat (especially simmering)

At full power they boil water quicker than our gas job did

Disadvantages:

Some of the pans cost a fortune

We went for some fairly expensive Circulon non- stick pans and the coating hasn’t lasted well at all. They are in a right state already.

They are also really heavy. We supplemented the Circulon with a few non stick M&S pans which have been treated the same and were a fair bit cheaper and they still look almost good as new.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Unless you’re cooking a Christmas dinner twice a day on your hob, then it appears a pretty insignificant amount to your annual bills, about 3 pints of flouncy craft IPA difference pa by my calculation.

ransos
    Free Member

It is about 50% as efficient but 25% of the price so still considerably cheaper.

The difference to a domestic annual fuel bill is trivial.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Dawsons / ecookshop (Skipton) are having a sale

mefty
    Free Member

£15 per annum for 20 years is £200 in npv terms so not insignificant in the context of their purchase cost.

zippykona

You can’t heat up nails to poke holes in plastic.

dantsw13

As a gas stalwart, I went induction for our new kitchen. It cooks so well, heats up very quickly & so easy to clean.

Falcon 1000 Range, also second the recommendation for Pro Cook pans. I have the Professional Stainless ones.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Induction cookers and pans ( pros and cons plus recommendations )’ is closed to new replies.