Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Indoor training for mtb
  • joebristol

I like erg- gives you less to worry about. Struggling – try and up the pedal speed and it makes it easier. Higher speed means more use of your cardio system / makes you heart work harder. Lower speed switches the work more on your legs and more likely to tire you out.

Trainer road has an easy option on screen to turn the resistance levels up or down by % if you’re struggling or finding it too easy.

I just had a quick 45 min sweet spot training session at lunchtime that absolutely kicked my arse – 4×8 minute spin ups. I hate these longer duration efforts!

djflexure

Cant be bothered to read all the replies but if you want to freeride in Zwift you can toggle the default slope intensite setting (or whatever they call it) from 50% up to 100%, then your low grears will come into their own. Racing is still likely to be suboptimal on most courses.

You can also explore other apps. TR has mtb specific plans as others have said and you would use erg mode which negates your low gearing issue. Fulgaz might suit you. Realistic real world rides. The default freeride hill setting in Fulgaz is 100%, so it feels more realistic/ very hard from the off and your low gears will work well.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Wahoo’s training platform Systm has MTB specific training plans, you should have a free trial code with your Kickr purchase. Wahoo’s customer service is excellent. I find it much easier to stick to the workouts on my plan than in Zwift wherw I lasted where I lasted about 5 minutes, guess Zwift
    is ok if you like MarioKart.

fossy

I tend to use Zwift in the ‘free ride’ option – ie no training plan/workout. I think you need to get used to that, then try some work outs. As others have said, on workouts you are using a set gear – you’ll need to fine one that you can match the required cadence and power output, then you stick with it through the ‘ride’ – the trainer will be responding to the plan and not the terrain in this mode. If you start fiddling with gears it goes wrong as you can’t maintain the required watts or cadence.

I’m on a more basic trainer but I’m swapping out a road bike and a hybrid for the Mrs. Just needs a couple of turns on the roller adjuster to accommodate the Mrs bike.

You may need to check whether the cassette is suitable – are you running singlespeed, as a MTB cassette will give you far too big jumps between gears, so you may want a smaller cassette – that said, you may struggle with a road cassette on hills.

The week’s trial isn’t a great length to get used to it, but it’s only £12.99 for a month and you can cancel if if you don’t like it.

stumpymark

Thanks again for all replies to this. I’ve completed another 2 rides and understanding it more now and enjoying it too.

I think missing the onboarding ride was my downfall.

stumpy01

Cool! Good news you’re getting on with it better now.

There’s plenty of Zwift chat on the forum, so lots going on.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Indoor training for mtb’ is closed to new replies.