• This topic has 34 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Indian summer my arse !!!!
  • Vortexracing

Just come back from a Wed night ride round Rivvy and i’m soaked to the bloody skin! 🙁

What happened to the alleged Indian Summer we are supposed to get?

Might change the Cotic for a canoe, would probably be more suitable.

Is the rest of the country as wet?

Stoner
    Free Member

dont they say that at the end of every miserable august just to keep us from saying Christmas is coming?

lipseal
    Free Member

I looking forward to Easter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

According to the Mail, (or might have been the Express), we’re to be hammered by 65mph winds then there will be a big freeze.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Indian summer = Monsoon season

mactheknife

Dry as a bone in scotchland for a change 🙂

Duggan

There’s lots of things I love about Winter but it seems a bit unfair that we haven’t really had a summer 🙁

lowey

KNow what you mean Dave… this year has been pretty rubbish really and the weather at the moment is biblical!

oopnorth
    Free Member

Currently experiencing a summer in India….it’s very wet and cold, not too dissimilar to my days in Calderdale

….so yes you’re having an Indian summer in the UK right now, what you want is an Indian spring! 😉

trout
    Free Member

Can rain for the next ten days in blighty but not in Egypt 😆

maxray
    Free Member

it seems a bit unfair that we haven’t really had a summer

But it has been dry since pretty much march!! Our lawn is yellow and faded, pots n baskets in the yard have needed constant watering and my seasoning wood has been able to just live in a pile at the bottom of the garden.

I don’t think we have done too badly weatherwise, when I w’a lad it was always windy and autumnal in September… and it was all fields of course 🙂

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Ghoul I bet India is nothing like Calderdale was last night! It was wetter than an otters pocket!

crispo
    Free Member

Maxray – You’re clearly not from the North West!

maxray
    Free Member

Hmm actually looking at long range weather forecasts it might be advisable to get that fat bike sorted ready for the snow 🙂

Autumn 2011

The UK can expect a similar theme to continue as we head into autumn, with a notable increase in usual wind strengths for this time of year across many parts of the UK, that will result in frequent and potentially damaging gale force winds and strong stormy features throughout autumn and winter. Although some places further South may see some spells of settled weather at times, the general theme for autumn as a whole looks largely wet and very windy with dominant grey skies. It will be generally unsettled and turn progressively colder with an early start to winter, especially more so in the regions of Scotland, Northern England, and Northern Ireland.

Winter 2011-12 Update

As we head towards winter, I expect to see the first signs of some moderate to heavy snowfalls as early as October or November in certain parts of the UK. In terms of the meteorological winter, I expect December, January, and February to experience below average temperatures, with the heaviest snowfalls occurring within the time frame of November to January across many parts of the UK.

The most important factor within our weather forecasting calculations is solar activity and other major natural factors that it influences. Radiant energy from the sun is the primary influence on both the earth’s ocean and atmosphere.

Low solar activity and ocean behaviour alter atmospheric circulation and block jet stream patterns that create enhanced moisture in terms of snowfall. The UK and Ireland is hit by prolonged periods of extreme cold and snow from the Arctic regions, as cold easterlies or north-easterlies develop. Huge swirly low pressure systems also offer the potential for widespread disruption from heavy snowfall across many parts of the UK including the South, as they clash with the predominant cold air over the UK.
    Coupled with other in depth factors such as recent volcanic activity and changes to the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic drift that we consider, this does not bode well for the severity of the UK and Northern European winter of 2011-12. Frequent and prolonged cold spells with heavy dumps of snow from blizzard like conditions is likely across many parts of the UK. The areas we expect to be worse hit throughout include the vast majority of Scotland and the Scottish Highlands, Northern England, and Northern Ireland. We have particular concerns as to the huge implications that this may pose to the infrastructure of the UK and Ireland transportation systems/economy.

avdave2

Blown off the bike on Tuesday evening on the ride home! I had to tack for a while just to keep going the way I wanted to.

maxray
    Free Member

No crispo, South Birmingham (not Alabama) 😛

Drac

Not been great summer so few hot days but it’s far from been a wash out.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Summer was on a Wednesday this year.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

One of my Mum’s friends is a small-holder/handyman/tinker who has lived in Cumbria all his life and has seen a lot of seasons in his long years. When I was round there the other week, he announced that it is going to be a hard winter because the trees and bushes are heavily laden with fruit and berries; a sure sign, he says.

So there you go.

trailmonkey

excellent summer in south devon. no extended hot periods after may – june, but it’s been fairly free of rain, just rather grey and muggy.

bone dry trails since march = good summer by my reckoning.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It’s usually nice when the students return – give it a couple of weeks.

devs
    Free Member

Got some Schwalbe Snow studs for sale if anyone wants them. Ridden once for 121km on the Puffer! 🙂

Drac

It’s usually nice when the students return – give it a couple of weeks.

Tah Dah!

z1ppy

As per Maxray, we’ve had bugger all rain all summer (west of brum) though little ‘sun’ either, so much so the g/f horse has struggled from lack of grass..it’s been great for MTBing! Last nights ride was ace, proper summer evening feel, I was soaked …..from sweat it was so humid. Think loads of local part timers used it as there last ride before hibernating for the winter, it was that busy

neil853
    Free Member

unbelieveable mtb ride last night, the trails were perfect, the weather was perfect. In fact the night was so good instead of catching the train home I chose to just ride the 13 miles home on the road!

I’m not going to but I could have quite happily signed off for the year with that ride last night, that’s what its all about!

yunki
    Free Member

dont they say that at the end of every miserable august just to keep us from saying Christmas is coming?

Isn’t it about time that we really started to throw a bit more enthusiasm into Guy Fawkes night..?

The lame fireworks spectacle that we use to commemorate his demise is a frivolous insult and misses the point..
    Surely we should be celebrating his good work with riotous revelry and as much rebellious ribaldry as we can muster..

That could at least keep us going til Hallowe’en.. another sadly bastardised festival that deserves less banality and much more Bacchanal..

That way we could learn to appreciate Autumn and put Christmas off til December with a bit of luck..

sheffield43
    Free Member

Very dry summer here in sarf Yorkshire but not much actual sun so trails been superb. Friends in NE Scotland have reported a really wet one though so I know we’ve been lucky.

This week low 20’s so ‘Indian Summer’ in full swing. Good year overall for us so far.

nbt

Isn’t it about time that we really started to throw a bit more enthusiasm into Guy Fawkes night..?

That could at least keep us going til Hallowe’en..

Errm – Bonfire night is *after* Halloween.

Although round here, fireworks start going off in mid october, most years…

yunki
    Free Member

Errm – Bonfire night is *after* Halloween.

😳

early morning pre-coffee ranting does me no favours..

neninja
    Free Member

Cold and foggy here in Co Durham. Was the same yesterday though and when the fog burnt off around midday it became very hot and clear skies.

So warm we were in short sleeve summer jerseys riding round hamsterley at 9.30pm last night.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Was brilliant a bit further north than Hamsterly.
    Rode Edmundbyers-Blanchland-Slaley Forest-Blanchland-Bolts Law-Edmundbyers last night. Put a long-sleeve jersey on at 11pm for the final half hour.
    Dry and fast on the whole, and the wind direction was favourable for the good bits. Brilliant!

We do here…

ajr
    Free Member

[/url][/img]It was 25 degrees yesterday where I was Dave. The new frame is great.

yunki
    Free Member

We do here…

This is how we roll down here in East Devon

devs
    Free Member

Your friends in NE Scotland must live in a different one to me! Ok, so apart from Apr/May there have been very few prolonged dry periods but the ground generally is much drier than usual. We are in water deficit this year and the trees have turned early because of it. My peaches are the smallest and most tasteless they have ever been. The traditionally perma soggy bits in the woods are dry unless it during heavy rain. It’s just a shame we never got the sun really either. Yesterday was lovely though. 25 deg. Riding at night in 19 deg and then hitting the odd icy cold pocket is a magical experience too!

Del

bad summer? clearly you live in The North. 😀

Yunki, my first thought about our lack of enthusiasm for Nov 5th was Ottery – It’s ace!
    must try and get out there again this year.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Indian summer my arse !!!!’ is closed to new replies.