Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Indexing gears…..
  • ononeorange

…….why can’t I do this on mrs o’s bike?!

I am trying to set up her rear gears. Have even replaced the cable (a job I find particularly loathsome). Set the indexing up in the stand, a bit rattly but largely ok. However as soon as she rides it, some of the low and most of the high gears jump in and out. My indexing admittedly consists of nervously twiddling the tension thing this way and that until it settles, but this one just won’t. Rear mech and hanger seem fine.

Basic method anyone rather than just twiddling and hoping, please? I hate indexing!!!

martinhutch

I’ve just shared your joy, doing both rear and front mech indexing. God I hate it.

If it’s hitting top and bottom sprockets OK, personally I’d wind the barrel adjuster (on the shifter?) in nearly all the way, add a bit of tension on the cable itself, then try to fine tune it again with the barrel adjuster. And swear quite a lot.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Anytime I’ve followed this:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur
    results have been tip-top!

The indexing bit is near the bottom, but I’d prob just do the whole thing, just to make sure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratherbeintobago

Basic method anyone rather than just twiddling and hoping, please?

Pay the LBS to do it.

I have lost countless hours with the bike up in the stand trying to get the gears to index. I’ve heard non-ballraced SRAM shifters (ie <X0) develop slop over time, which doesn’t help.

robhughes
    Free Member

Sod all that.I gave up.Love building bikes,servicing suspension and everything in between.If it has to be done the bike will be sent to the LBS.Actually iv,e just fitted a medium mech on the spicy so off it goes tomorrow.They only charge me a tenner a pop so worth it in frustration and anger. 😉

garage-dweller

1 – have you got the limit screws set right?
    2 – is there a mix of new and old
    3 – start in top / smallest sprocket, click, does it shift – no then add cable tension
    4 – yes click again and repeat
    5 – when you get to biggest sprocket test shift back across block one cog at a time with small tension tweeks.

I err on the side of a snappy upshift (bigger to smaller cog). you can always force a downshift by a little extra lever pressure.

rootes1

def check the hanger alignement also check the B adjustment

rbrstr
    Free Member

sheldon brown will tell you how to do this correctly on his website

http://sheldonbrown.com/

ononeorange

Thanks all. Confident hanger etc is ok as shifting was fine before I buggered around with it (don’t ask!).

Thanks for links. Will give it a go. Good to know others struggle as well – I thought I was just a numpty!

martinhutch

shifting was fine before I buggered around with it (don’t ask!).

Story of my life, that. I was 90% happy with my front mech shifting, so thought I just give it a tweak ‘while I was at it’, with predictable results.

rbrstr
    Free Member

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

sorry, i meant this link. this is how i learnt how to do it properly

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Indexing gears…..’ is closed to new replies.