Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • increasing computer memory
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Currently my iBook has a 512m chip in addition to the shipped 256m, i was wondering if fitting a 1gig chip would make any real difference to performance.

GrahamS

Yes.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Go on this site and put your computers details in and it tells you what memory upgrades you can install. I have bought from them 3 times now and they are very good.

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

woody2000

It depends what you use the computer for TBH. Increasing RAM doesn’t always give a computer a huge performance boost, but in most cases it probably would give a small increase in performance. Do you run a lot of apps at the same time?

GrahamS

I’m sitting here on a three year and a half year old PC, but it still flies along because it has 4GB of memory in it.

I reckon more memory is about the best and cheapest upgrade you can put in any PC.

Can’t see any reason that a Mac would be any different (I’m sure some Mac-head will bleat about OSX using less memory than Vista or something, but at the end of the day more memory is a generally a good thing).

unsponsored
    Free Member

If its a G3 it won’t take more than the 512mb.

mrmo
    Free Member

Its a G4, so i know i am limited to 1024meg, whether this is what it can take or what is made i am not so sure. Just gets a little slow at times.

Tendancy is to run a few different applications, web, email, ilife, office, etc at the same time and flcik between as and when. I assume a newer mac would be faster, but would cost a lot more than some extra memory.

crazy-legs

I upgraded my computer RAM recently but, ocs it’s a failry old unit, I had to look online (I used that crucial.com site too) and see what the motherboard was capable of supporting. On a lot of computers, if you put a 2Gb RAM chip in it will still only be able to use 512Mb (for example).

But yes, my computer is SO much faster now it’s got lots more RAM in there. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘increasing computer memory’ is closed to new replies.