Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Increase NHS pay……Petition
  • RustySpanner

Hope this isn’t against any guidelines.

https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/81204803/signed

Thank you.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

They should at least introduce some kind of danger pay or operational allowance for them, equivalent to what you get in certain militaries when you’re mobilised to a warzone.

v8ninety

Lol. Fat chance.

They’ll privatise it when all this is over. In the guise of ‘making it fit for purpose’.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My wife doesn’t want more pay, been in nursing for years, and is happy what she earns. What she wants more than anything else is the service to improve so that she actually gets time to care for her patients, other minor things too, but mainly that.

Drac

A very kind gesture I’d only ask to receive to bring us inline with inflation we’ve not revived for about 10 years.

However, I’m being paid to do a job and I’m still receiving a regular pay. From day 1 of my 30 years I knew one day we’d be exposed to a pandemic virus, we received training back then too. All I’m doing is my job that’s all. I’m knackered though.

Right dump break over back to work.

sc-xc

Start with giving them the gear they need. 3 confirmed, 4 suspected this morning on my wife’s ward, no proper PPE.

kerley
    Free Member

NHS staff get paid well already. Dealing with people with illnesses is clearly part of the job but as others have said they need to have the correct H&S in place to do that. It is not a matter of paying people more because they don’t have practices in place to protect them, it is a matter of sorting out the practices.

DezB
    Free Member

My wife doesn’t want more pay, been in nursing for years, and is happy what she earns

How would she feel being a single parent on the same wage?

NHS staff get paid well already.

Clueless ****

poah
    Free Member

increase pay for supermarket workers. supermarkets are only interest in profit and not their staff.

crikey
    Free Member

@kerley, how much do you get paid and what do you do?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I dunno, we’ll split up, I’ll give her a few months, and get back to you.

I’d imagine she’d struggle as I would in that situation.

rOcKeTdOg

IMG_20200326_153941_112

This until it’s all over, then it’ll be back to the tory plan. Pay rise? Biggest laugh I’ve had for a while

theboatman
    Free Member

Whilst I’m sure everyone would love a pay rise I would much rather any proposed wage rise for myself went towards addressing the appallingly undervalued homecare and care home market. They are on the front line too, with a fraction of the support we receive from the NHS.

thenorthwind

Whilst I’m sure everyone would love a pay rise I would much rather any proposed wage rise for myself went towards addressing the appallingly undervalued homecare and care home market. They are on the front line too, with a fraction of the support we receive from the NHS.

100% this. Some of the most vulnerable people in our society are looked after by overworked people earning minimum wage, with insecure contracts, and insufficient training.

lunge

As the husband of 1 NHS worker, and with 3 others in my immediate family, pay is not the issue for them. They are paid reasonably well as it is, though I’re they’d not turn down a few extra quid.

What they do want is more staff so they can provide better care and perhaps have more rest. They want better kit to enable them to do their job better. And they want to do their job as best they can without government meddling. Oh, and in one case they (she) want people to stop treating the NHS like a charity case and with sympathy, and start to treat it like the world leading employer of hugely talented and intelligent individuals that it is.

In my wife’s case that’d be a challenge, but that’s the same irreverent of the profession, but then that’s to be expected isn’t it?

v8ninety

I’d like the pension that I signed up for back. The one that was stolen from me a few years ago, (whilst being forced to pay even more for a worse deal). Oh, and guaranteed rate of inflation pay rises, not being greedy.

dyna-ti

I think this has shown that it is the ground staff who are the most valuable in any industry.

tjagain

Idiot.

A newly trained staff nurse gets £25 000 ish I have 40 years experience. I made £32000 last year ( gross) For that I work shifts including nights and weekends and am in charge of a team of 9 staff every shift and 30 patients.

Decent terms and conditions are worth 10% on top of that compared to the crap you get in the private sector. Now who was it on here who claimed to be poor on £50 000PA? That an ordinary person could not live on £50 000 pa?

the HCSW – ( auxiliaries in old language), cleaners, porter etc get a max of around £18000 after many years of service.

Junior doctors 27 000 ish upwards – these guys are the front line 72 hours a week+ and many of them break under the stress

A consultant gets £70 000+ this is an incredibly responsible job with an incredible amount of training and leaning – probably training until their mid 30s to get to that level and the responsibilities and stress is incredible – that will have total responsibility 24/7/365 for a large group of patients and most work way over their contracted hours. these are the folk who literally are playing god right now – deciding who gets treatment and who does not.

Experienced / senior staff like me do OK but not great for their pay. Those at the bottom – its pure shite – much like the pish the person who posted this spews

bruneep

wife just wants regular breaks, such as not having her lunch at 4:30pm after a 7 am start. Being able to go to the toilet when she wants, not having to hold it in until her lunch break.

Oh yes and her pension reinstated

tjagain

Kerely – what do you do and how much do you get paid?

Woody
    Free Member

Not getting into an argument with the dickhead above but is this really the time to be petitioning for a wage increase given the circumstances?

bensales
    Free Member

@tjagain What do you think those roles should be paid?

eskay

My wife is a nurse, pay has been pegged back by the Tories for years. She showed me this last night:

Recap: To the moment Tory MPs cheered after blocking a pay rise for nurses

Add that to the parking charges, NMC charges and generally shite conditions it is a wonder we have any at all (that applies to all NHS workers not just nurses)

ElShalimo

Another thing to mention is that the nation is so focused on Doctors and nurses (D&Ns) like it’s a crap 70s board game, or a carry-on film.  There are literally thousands of professional, dedicated NHS staff that are not D&Ns; e.g. physios, occupational therapists, dieticians, podiatrists and community based staff of all descriptions.
    At the moment an awful lot of NHS workers are frantically trying to get people out of hospital (social services have been decimated due to austerity) so that they can receive the Covid-19 patients, most of them are not D&Ns.

The fixation with D&Ns devalues the contribution of the others as they are often overlooked even at a commissioning level. The NHS is not just D&Ns. ALL NHS workers contribute to the service!

We should celebrate all of them

🍻

tjagain

Bensales.

I think what I get is OK ( but not great for what I do). Id be putting the boost in at the bottom. I’d like to see a floor in the low to mid 20s for HCSW, Id like to see junior doc on £30+ ( and more importantly reduce their hours from the 72hr week they have to do)
    consultants? I’d like to see the merit awards ( which can be significant) incorporated into base salaries as at the moment the awarding of them is opaque and unfair
    I’d like the ceiling for experienced staff that take on extra responsibilities increased. Thats folk like Drac. Very senior experienced paramedic who takes on addition responsibilities for training and counselling staff IIRC dunno what point he is on the scale.
    But like most of us more importantly I’d like to see the service funded properly

Lets put it this way. A coupe with two kids both of whom are nursing or professions allied to medicinestaff cannot afford to buy a house in many parts of the country. Is that fair?

tjagain

ElShalimo

Totally agree. Many of those Professions allied to medicine do not get great pay ( although the job is lower pressure) and social care is an utter disgrace with most staff barely making minimum wage – they should be directly employed and salaried
    Support staff in hospitals like porters and cleaners? We could not function without them and their pay is poor. right now they are right at the forefront.

come on Kerley – what do you do and what is your pay? How many nights, evenings and weekends do you work?

lunge

Without trying to be provocative, no one I know in the NHS feels wages are the main issue. Of course they’d like to be paid more but it’s not the main problem.

As I said above, it’s the number of staff and the expectations on them. Reduce the expected hours, hire more staff and most would be a lot happier.

Absolutely, pay them more, by gosh they deserve it, but most would rather the money was invested in other places to make their roles more comfortable.

tjagain

Aye – the joy has gone from the job for me. all those little extra things I used to do I no longer have time for. I am burnt out as well. Its time for me to leave. Another thing is to bring back the retirement at 60. I can due to having a contract from years ago but new recruits its 65. I am struggling physically to do my job at 59 and fit for my age. There is no way I could still be doing it in 6 years. simply physically not able.

DezB
    Free Member

I dunno, we’ll split up, I’ll give her a few months, and get back to you

she should be so lucky 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😉

Drac

Well seeing my whole street our applauding was enough thanks for me. 😢

😂

squirrelking
    Free Member

The question of pay.

Funny one. Is the pay bad because of the conditions it’s earned in or good assuming the conditions were better?

TJ has given his answer, others have given anecdotal answers.

FWIW I only have anecdote to fall back on but the NHS and care system as a whole is failing all of it’s front line staff and, by extension, those in it’s care. IMO the care system needs to be nationalised yesterday and proper investment in services needs to happen across the board. I feel for every single person that wants to do their job but can’t because of poor investment, bad management or co-workers that simply don’t give a toss. I have a friend who went into the care system, specifically dementia units, and she has left more jobs in 5 years than I’ve ever had, all with the same hollow promises of improvement and investment.

tjagain

Social care is the real problem – far worse than the NHS. round here they simply cannot recruit for socal care withthe wages and conditions so poor.

I would say NHS pay is OK but no more – and only once you have some service in.

Drac

I get a good wage, less then my NHS equivalents in the same role, but I’ve worked my way up to a line manager at a clinical level. However, I could get more a lot more in the private sector for a similar managerial role without working nights or weekends. Of course that same job could vanish overnight when the company decides to close.

cookeaa

I fear the NHS are going to be used as a bit of a propaganda tool in the wake of the CV19 mess. I just get the feeling…

The whole tone of the current narrative is heading that way, describing the current situation as a “war on the disease” trying to stir up a bit of misty eyed jingoism for our brave boys and girls in an organisation, which BoJo and chums would merrily have kicked to death a few weeks ago.

Right now the NHS is now one of the bodies forced to address the real problems created by a slow and inept government response to to a foreseeable threat where they put economic activity ahead of public health.
    It’s politically expedient for the Tories to be seen to be supportive of the organisation now, and Tory’s only know a few ways to express solidarity with the Proles, lobbing a bit of cash their way is one, they’ll probably do, but don’t expect real changes to organisation, contingency planning or investment in the institution.

We went out front and clapped for the NHS, it is deserved.
    Next door have a Nurse living there, but she’s currently home on Isolation, her eight year old (asthmatic) is currently a sufferer. I doubt a few quid extra is going to address her biggest current concern.

ElShalimo

I’m concerned about the future but any assault on the NHS after this would be political suicide

tjagain

Don’t believe that – in a years time it will be back to chipping away to make it “nonviable”. more sales to us corporations etc. Selling the NHS to the US is the price for the trade deal and what Johnson and co have already agreed to do – along with upping prices of drugs to US levels. Its already agreed. don’t be fooled

ElShalimo

You’re probably correct but I really hope it’s not true

gauss1777
    Free Member

Absolutely, pay them more, by gosh they deserve it, but most would rather the money was invested in other places to make their roles more comfortable.

When did so many buy the lie that it’s one or the other? It is perfectly feasible to do both. Nursing and many other professions within the NHS’s pay, are barely a living wage. Half the people out clapping for NHS workers voted in a government with a strong history of decimating the NHS. A Tory government with ministers who have openly talked of different ways of selling it off. John Major, who was bad enough in his day, said (iirc) that the NHS could not be entrusted to them.

Let’s hope there will be less need for an increase in NHS worker’s pay per se, because once this is all over we move to more equitable pay for everyone (except Kerley of course).

kimbers

We just had a national opinion poll on this and half the country voted against it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/watch-moment-tories-cheered-blocking-10707293.amp

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Increase NHS pay……Petition’ is closed to new replies.