Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Incorrect BB spacer fitting, problems?
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I just wondered what should happen if you fitted a SLX Hollowtech BB and chainset on a 68mm BB shell frame with one spacer on each side, instead of 2 on the driveside and one on the non-driveside?

I’m going to be fitting a BB mounted Blackspire Stinger to my Fury but I noticed that the LBS only put one spacer on each side instead of 2 on the driveside and 1 on the non-driveside. What problems will I encounter when I try to fit the Stinger instead of the only driveside spacer?

It’s been run with one spacer either side for at least a couple of hundred miles so far. It’s running smooth. Should I have noticed anything, or are there problems to come?

blinty
    Free Member

I put the slx bb and cranks on my patriot with the stinger and a spacer on drive side and the non drive side arm worked its way off (luckily while on the street and not down a fast trail) since then I have removed the spacer so there is more to bite on to and no problems since. had to cut the roller on the stinger too to run a double setup for the chain to run straight!

rickmeister

If the crank is running fine and not crushing the HT2 bearing which will cause it to fail early, should be ok…. I fitted a Raceface crank with a GUB BB using the standard 2 spacer 1 spacer format and it was crushing the bearing. After a bit of fiddling, I settled on 1 per side and both the chainline and friction in the bearing are fine.

I think set it up with whatever works well. The “standards” are a starting point but be prepared to move from there.

hth

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

all the spacers are doing is controlling the end float – too few spacers may mean there is endfloat on the axle – no issue at all – too many may mean crushed bearings – premature failure.

I removed a spacer from an HT11 set up precisely to avoid crushing the bearings.

takisawa2

I changed the bearings in an old one, & the new bearings were thicker. So I’ve left a spacer out to make up the difference. Has been running fine. Seeing as the bearings were £2.50 I’m not too fussed.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

How will I know if it’s crushing the bearings, then guys?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

brassneck

all the spacers are doing is controlling the end float – too few spacers may mean there is endfloat on the axle – no issue at all – too many may mean crushed bearings – premature failure.

I removed a spacer from an HT11 set up precisely to avoid crushing the bearings.

The driveside also has a bearing on front mech adjustment – with only a single spacer you may not be able to get the granny ring.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

a GUB BB using the standard 2 spacer 1 spacer format and it was crushing the bearing.

GUB BBs are badly designed. I used a single spacer on mine in the end (but not before I managed to squeeze all 3 spacers in, and my crank fell off…)

getonyourbike
    Free Member

ahhh. Cheers. So my BB won’t die early and I should just leave it then?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Incorrect BB spacer fitting, problems?’ is closed to new replies.