Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Inconsiderate rider WRECKS my favourite pentland trail
  • rthomas17
    Free Member

I was riding the Pentlands on my way home tonight, and was horrified to come across this idiot riding his yellow digger without a shred of consideration for the damage he was doing. Now my favourite technical pad-melting run down the side of Allermuir is a bland smooth-as-a-babies bottom glide. I’m all for shared trails, but this buffoon’s lack of consideration is taking the biscuit.

Perhaps we can spend a day or two getting the 4 foot ruts back in place before the summer?

druidh
    Free Member

Wow! I guess the MOD must be planning to use that track again.

Isn’t it weird how they can get away with doing so much damage without any planning permission?

MarkN
    Free Member

If they are just making good an old track I do not think they would need planning permission. I have not been there so not sure what it was like before.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Which one is that…Castlelaw to the wee pump house?

Been smoothed over a few times.

mintimperial

Looks to me like they’ve built a nice big berm for you there on that next corner, you just need to get yourself up to 40mph or so to get the most out of it.

Commiserations. I hate it when they do that.

robowns
    Free Member

Looks to me like they’ve built a nice big berm for you there on that next corner, you just need to get yourself up to 40mph or so to get the most out of it.

I laughed

Garry_Lager

It might help with the climb – cos it’s a beast.

Better ways of coming down tbh rthomas

rthomas17
    Free Member

I rode it a couple of times in the dark recently, was good fun avoiding the mini grand canyons that appear out of the night at speed. Shall give it a miss for a while – agree with you Garry, I prefer to stretch out the descent with some more twiddly stuff.

amodicumofgnar

I bet he does trailquests as well.

rthomas17
    Free Member

Oh, and if anyone finds an unused 29″er inner tube that fell out of my saddlepack somewhere between torphin and lothianburn via puke hill and capelaw, there’s a reward for it’s safe return!

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye out for that as I sometimes commute that way too (Penicuik to Corstorphine). To be honest, I think the re-grading is a good thing. The descent was crap anyway and it just made the climb impossible.
    Shall go that way on the commute more often now, on the cross bike so used to avoid it as a bit too rough.

It’s always been maintained by the MOD, except in the past couple of years, so maybe they are going to start using it again.

rthomas17
    Free Member

thanks Chriswilk, it’s a good commute to have. love looking back from puke hill at the stationary cars on the bypass…..

chriswilk
    Free Member

came over there this morning to have a look.
    Clearly it’s still work in progress, but if they leave it as is, I predict that the steeper bits will be washed out and interesting again after a couple of heavy rain storms.
    It wound not make an easy climb at the moment either, the steep bits are loose and cut up with fist sized rocks. No fun coming down on the cross bike.

balfa
    Free Member

Isn’t it weird how they can get away with doing so much damage without any planning permission?

Scottish Hill Tracks Campaign

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Inconsiderate rider WRECKS my favourite pentland trail’ is closed to new replies.