Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,508 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • weeksy

Lol I wish. He’s all “I’m tirrrrred daddy”

The joy of being pit bitch.

Tracey

Tell me about it, Abigale can build and strip a bike and do most things on it but when dad’s around its always down to him or me

matt_outandabout

One of the best bits of eldest_oab being at uni and now racing with uni pals is that he is doing all his own maintenance.* 😎

* I’ve just realised though that he organised a Christmas bearing swap while he is home.

Sigh.

weeksy

My lads mates blew us out, so I guess after making my Enduro debut at 49 years old, I’m doing my first DH race at 50

Yak

Awesome weeksy. Good commitment.

kayla1
    Free Member

Excellent, have fun! Down in one piece is a win in my eyes. Is 50 ‘veteran’ or ‘grand veteran’? 😉

weeksy

Dunno, but this one isn’t British Cycling rules, so my cat is Over35. That’s it… that simple.

For him it’s U16s… which is harsh on him as he’s not long turned 13… but we race and ride for fun, results are a bonus.

I’m 99% sure i’ll come in last anyway… But as all his mates are not up for this one, i don’t want him to be missing out and going up and down all day on his own as that’s crap. So i’ll be doing the practice and stuff with him. We’re also going to book the 12th Dec as i’ve not ridden that course yet, so wouldn’t mind a bit of practice so i know where i’m going on it at the very least. I may be last, but hopefully i won’t be an hour behind 😀

Tracey

Anything above a DNF is a bonus in my eyes 😎

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Awesome work Weeksy.
    Loving it.

kayla1
    Free Member

Anything above a DNF is a bonus in my eyes 😎

This! The few races I’ve done there hasn’t really been enough women to make separate classes up so I’ve had my backside handed to me a few times by annoyingly brave and talented teenagers 🤣

weeksy

Latest Classified Ads

Any thoughts on these ? Thinking of a nice Xmas pressie for the boy… he’s currently got SRAM Guide Rs… they work fine and happy and easy enough to bleed, but some say the Hopes are ‘better’ ?

Bah, not sure that shows right… Hope Tech M4 evo.

nixie

It’s a no from me. Do not like that lever design. The tech3 version is better.

weeksy

Well that was lucky… The boys forks are now fully rebuilt, serviced and tuned. They’re on their way back from Sprung suspension to arrive here tomorrow.

But anyway, i was moving it in the garage and thought “oooooh that feels a bit draggy” wasn’t sure if it was the brakes or something else…. Checked and deffo wasn’t the brakes…
    Chain was next on the list, so checked that and it too was ok, bit more lube and still dragging.

Chain came off, cranks spin perfectly….

Top jockey wheel on mech, fine…. bottom jockey wheel, noooooooo that ain’t moving.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mR386V]2021-12-16_01-52-10[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Check the bearing, seems it’s a 626RS… checked the bearing spares, yup, got serveral of them.

5 minutes later it’s in and spinning freely once again. It’s weird how sometimes things ‘go’ quickly and need replacing… I don’t think it’s been draggy for a while, but certainly needed replacing

Tracey

Good job you found out before the race. Its usually the bottom one that goes. We always have a few spares just in case. Last one used was given to a mate who had the same problem.

weeksy

Yeah, he’s happy. Out of interest, did you suffer with the rear mech coming loose ? e.g the mount bolt that goes into the mech hanger ? This is the 2nd mech we’ve had on it now and both have been loose more than once. It explains why he had some issues the other day with his indexing.

Forks have finished being rebuilt, serviced and Tuned by Sprung and are now back in the bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mRgXK3]2021-12-17_04-05-57[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mReRy8]2021-12-17_04-05-42[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Tracey

Not that we noticed, Although Abigale always use to check every bolt on a regular basis to ensure nothing had come loose.

I’ve had it once on the Turbo Levo which I think has the same mech hanger but it was after I had a new one fitted whilst we were out on a ride after shearing the old mech off.

He might be at that age where he needs to do some of the checking of stuff himself, especially if he’s going to compete at Enduro.

We were lucky as we managed to get Abigale in at the local bike shop who gave her valuable fettling experience free of charge but didn’t get paid for it.

weeksy

He might be at that age where he needs to do some of the checking of stuff himself, especially if he’s going to compete at Enduro.

You’re not wrong there. He did the fork removal with me but didn’t get a chance to put it all back together as he was out getting his CV jab.

Funny you mention that but it’s on the cards for next summer with Rotec Cycles as we know the guy who runs it nowdays and have chatted to him about that very thing.

zerocool

Is the answer to “I’m tirrrrred daddy” not, well it’s not going to fix/check/ lean itself?
    And just leave it in the garage until he comes and helps. Even if his ‘helping’ doesn’t really help then at least he’s making an effort and it’ll start getting him used to coming and doing it with you.

I totally understand why you do all the work, my brother and my brother-in-law were both of the attitude ‘I’ll just ride it like it is, I’m not as fussy as you are bro’ which used to drive me mad with all the stuff the squeaked, creaked and didn’t work properly until I ended up fixing it for my peace! It must be even worse when it’s your money.

singlespeedstu

Is the answer to “I’m tirrrrred daddy” not, well it’s not going to fix/check/ lean itself?

My sentiments exactly but I’ve not said it first as weeksy seems to react badly to some things I point out.

I was lucky to have parents that were into MX enough to buy me a new bike every year when I was young but I was always responsible for at least cleaning it. Then as I got older more maintenance dutys were expected.

By the time I was 14 I was changing pistons.

weeksy

Maybe we’re different, may e I enjoy it more, maybe I have more time, maybe I’m a soft touch.

Maybe I’m just a supportive parent.

Time will tell if I’m right or wrong, but anyone who knows my lad will tell you he’s a wonderfully polite and attentive 13 year old, good mannered and really easy to be around.

Having met plenty of others, I’m happy with him.

Could I do more in terms of making him get involved, of course I could. But in his defence, I do a lot of it when he’s at school.

I’m also very good at doing it and actively enjoy it.

@singlespeedstu
    , I don’t think I recognise your name fella, so no idea if you’ve posted in my threads before. But anyway, I don’t have anything against your comment or the guy above. You guys may be correct. I’m just trying to be a good parent as I see it.

It’s not like he just throws his stuff on the floor and drags mess about. He does his version of cleaning, lubing and stuff, he’s just not very good at it. Like most kids.

singlespeedstu

You seem to be missing the point of it’ll help him out with his riding/understanding of bike prep/setup if he does get to progress in enduros…

no idea if you’ve posted in my threads before.

😂 Apart from complaining about the nasty posters that were judging you on your riding skills in the thread you got closed.

Believe it or not folks are trying to help.

weeksy

You seem to be missing the point of it’ll help him out with his riding/understanding of bike prep/setup if he does get to progress in enduros

Yes I get that. That’s why I involve him.

But I don’t force him. Especially after a day of racing.

singlespeedstu

A day of racing. 😂
    Hardly taxing for a young buck is it.

weeksy

Well 2022 is underway and the first entry in. Big field so will be a proper tough day out i’d guess

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/223002/100-Percent-Mini-Downhill-Rd1-February-2022

100 Percent Mini Downhill Rd1 February 2022

I won’t be doing the DH races only the Southern Enduros, so just pit crew for this one.

weeksy

Small child is a pain the the arse.

We were out playing in the woods yesterday morning, trails he knows well. So first I got him to set his shock rebound to fully slow, test it. Then to fully quick, test it, then middle.
    “All feels the same”

I then got him to try his mates G170 in a medium, guess what “feels mostly the same’

His mate who own the G170 gave about just as much feedback on the Sworks too.

I do despair at times.

So the boy came in yesterday saying “dropper post isn’t returning right”, basically it wasn’t reaching max extension. I thought initally it was down to the post needing a little Fork Juice on it… but it wasn’t to be.

He’d also complained about a stiff lever… which irritated me as i’d only just fitted the cable…. but admittedly it was one from the spares box and we fitted it under pressure so was maybe not given a squirt of lube first….

So i set about both. Cable was swapped (still a crap job that) and i worked out the pressure in his post was slightly low, so not giving it that final shove. Put some more pressure in and away we go. silky smooth and nice.

Next job was one of the easier ones. The presta valve core was a bit wonky and stiff, so replaced that with a new valve core.

I then picked up and moved the bike, to find the rear brake was rubbish, stupid soft at the lever. He runs his quite soft anyway but this was daft. Don’t know how this never got mentioned y’day in post-ride chat. So a bleed was required… however, it’s irrirated me for nearly a year that the rubber bung on the end of his hose was missing.

The one bottom right.. I already had several in spares, so decided to completely disconnect the hose and do a full bleed after fitting it. Anyway, not the toughest job, but it’s done now.

The one thing i do wonder is, “do other parents go through this level of detail and spannering on their kids race bikes” ? Or am i just really fussy ? Or do they just let them ride it ? Or do they just give it to the LBS and say “make it perfect” I don’t know really.. but i do seem to spend a fair bit of time tweaking his. 🙂

matt_outandabout

Mine at 20 still doesn’t pay enough attention to odd noises or poor functioning components.

He turned up to EWS with slow puncture and slow dropper….

weeksy

I’ve been getting him doing a lot more ‘work’ on the bike in the last few months, he seems to be enjoying it. but ‘feel’ seems to be slightly lacking 🙂

joebristol

I think you are fussy – some other people aren’t.

I hate riding a bike that has any bad noises / vibration etc and I like my bike to feel smooth.

I built a SC 5010 CC with decent components (all new) November 2020 for a mate. We went riding in Rowberrow around Christmas and we swapped bikes for a run down. Immediately I was like wtf is wrong with your gears – he thought they were fine until he rode my bike. They felt like they had loads of resistance through them / felt a bit graunchy. At a guess I’d say his jockey wheels were either seized or on the verge of being seized.

I just don’t get how people can ride bikes that aren’t near perfect feeling.

StuF

I think with a lot of jobs kids just put up with stuff – bedroom messy vs can’t be arsed to put it away vs time taken to find something – at some point they learn to put stuff away / realise that fixing the squeak rather than letting it seize is going to save them cash in the long run.

Tracey

I think we give a bit more attention to the race bike than any of our others. However she is always involved with it and mostly its a joint effort. I say mostly as if she comes back from a days EWS practice then there is a bit of leeway due to tiredness. The race bike is her main bike although she frequently rides others out of the garage.
    The reason she gets involved is that she knows more than anyone the way the bike feels and performs.
    If it goes wrong on the trail then there is no one else to help and it could mean the difference to finishing or not.
    She’s a few years older than when she started competing but its always been the same

weeksy

If it goes wrong on the trail then there is no one else to help and it could mean the difference to finishing or not.

That’s 100% the reason i’m trying to get him and his buddies to learn more…They’re often out on their own and whilst it’s only 4-6 miles away from my door, i’d still rather they can fix/learn on their own. So things like brakes, gears etc, we’re actively working on more and more to learn with him.
    It’ll be the same in a few weeks time when he’s racing DH, he goes up to the top of the hill, if he’s got an issue.. he either needs to ride-around it, or fix it himself at the top.

I imagine with Abigales Enduro stuff that’s multiplied 10 fold as they’re up/down far more often and in further away places etc… with things like Southern Enduro most stages end at the same sort of place, so there’s an option to return to pits and get me to fix it…. but far from always.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n2aQfT]2022-02-06_01-09-49[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

8th out of 45 in U16 up to now today. Pretty pleased with himself

garethjw

That’s awesome. Well done Weeksy jr!

weeksy

I know i’m exceptionally biased, but he is stylish on a bike !

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n2owNB]417Feb[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

I hope we’re doing justice to @Tracey 🙂

weeksy

Little bit of work needed today… bouncing it about yesterday after getting home i noticed a tiny wobble… thought it was wheel bearing, but seems to be linkage bearing, middle one on the 6 point link on left hand side. So that’ll be whipped out and replaced today…. then we’re out playing after school as it’s early finish monday.

Tracey

Nice photo and a solid result. Where was the race

weeksy

Where was the race

That was round 1 of the series we did at 417 last year (on Blue Raccoon). Sadly that’s the only one we’ll do with them in the near future as rounds 2 and 3 clash with Southern Enduro. But we’ll BOTH be racing there later in the season. We both enjoy the place, the racing is fairly cheap along with being not too far away so whilst it’s an early start, it’s home before 5pm on the day too.

8/45 in U16’s is arguably his best result in terms of actual performance up to now, we did some stalking between races and out of the 7 who beat him, all of them were either 15/16.. So he’s the youngest at the pointy end.
    Still got some work to do to be chasing the podium at this level (and we’re aware it’s not the top level of course), but he’s doing well and most importantly he’s still enjoying it.

Me, i was pretty miffed with myself as i didn’t enter, i can’t really justify entering every race he’s in, partly on talent, partly on finances… So i skipped this one, which about 10am i REALLY regretted.. like REALLY… i was gutted not to be going up the hill, even if i’d have been rubbish coming back down it 😀

weeksy

Bit of bearing swapping.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n2nfcm]2022-02-07_08-45-36[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n2fEA8]2022-02-07_08-45-31[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n2m2tX]2022-02-07_08-45-27[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

Race day this coming weekend for the boy.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/223002/100-Percent-Mini-Downhill-Rd1-February-2022

100% mini downhill at Forest of Dean. Apparently taking in Ski-run, which is a trail he knows reasonably well. But we’re heading there on Friday anyway just to make sure and do 3-4 runs of it. Seems to be a sold out race and a massive field with 41 entrants in the Juvenile Cat alone… So he’ll have a decent bunch of racers to battle against.

After some rain recently i think we’ll stick with the Maxxis Shorty DH on the front and the Minion DHF on the back. We’ve got a brand new Assegai and a newer Shorty (but in Maxxterra compound) but he’s ridden these tyres exclusively over winter, so no point changing them the week before the race.

After practice on Friday we’ll do a brake pad check, overall bike check but i think we’re pretty much good to roll. He seems to be looking forward to it though, so that’s a good thing 🙂

argee

A DHF on the back, you’re just being weird for the sake of it!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.