• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by HobNob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • kimbers

That’s a brilliant result and cool pic!

weeksy

That’s a brilliant result and cool pic!

Thank you (all). I will make sure he has a read of the comments and praise.

I expect there’ll be a few more pictures being bought though so apologies in advance 😀

weeksy

So we’re now straight in for Bala (Rhyd-y-Felin) and a Pearce race on the 20th/21st. Not long and a few jobs need sorting on the bike.

Due to timescales and things i’m going to outsource a few of the jobs to my local friendly LBS at Rotec

Jobs list.
    1. New pads and a full caliper service/bleed on the Tech3/V4s (Rotec)
    2. Sort dink in the rear rim on rear race wheel (Rotec)
    3. Sort 2x dink in the front race wheel (Rotec)
    4. Lowers service/oil/clean on the Boxxers (Rotec)
    5. Bearing check and replacement on Blue race bike
    6. New chain on the blue race bike
    7. Reconfigure gearing on purple spare bike to 10sp setup
    8. Reconfigure alignment of idler on purple spare bike
    9. Tyre swap on spare wheel rear (torn sidewall)
    10. Gear cable replacement on blue race bike.

As you can see that’s just the race bikes. I’ve currently got the RM Slayer in pieces and needing a new rear mech fitted/installed due to it being very sticky. I took it apart to service it last week but screwed up the P-spring which i’m now waiting for, but i’ve got a new mech on it’s way from Bird.
    The Privateer 141 needs ‘something’ fixing/cleaning/sorting as it’s got a bit of a creak on it, i checked all the pivot bearings the other day but haven’t quite found it yet.

After the Pearce race the Fox X2 will head off to TFTuned for a service/refresh as it’ll have been on the bike for about 50 hours by then.

Admittedly it’s not like it’s a full weeks work, but i can only do in the evenings/weekends so it does take a bit of time i must say.

v7fmp

great effort and results by team Weeksy.

I saw a Vital raw video and that top section is mental with all the rocks. Bikes looked to be getting battered!

Is he on 27.5 or 29 inch wheels?

weeksy

I saw a Vital raw video and that top section is mental with all the rocks. Bikes looked to be getting battered!

Is he on 27.5 or 29 inch wheels?

The rocks are quite simply INSANE there… it’s more than i thought and honestly i couldn’t see any way i could even ride the place. Unless i had it to myself to give me enough time to pick lines, check sections, etc, then maybe. But to go in there hot and straight onto some sort of pace, it just astounds me how they seem to do it week in week out. THere were broken wheels EVERYWHERE and i was shocked that all we came out with was a slight dink on his rear.. I assume at times it’s people trying to compromise between lower pressures for grip and getting down the hill… We were running slightly higher than usual with 23/24 on ours, up from 20/22 which is our usual. We also had the cushcore on the rear which we’ve not tried before. He rides quite light in terms of landings usually and obviously isn’t hitting the rocks as hard as the faster lads/elites. So we either got something right, or got a little lucky… maybe a bit of both.

We’re currently running a mullet setup which helps obviously with the rocks on the front, but enables him to turn well on it. Whether we’ll stick with that setup or go full 29 for the replacement larger bike, i’m not sure. But i don’t even know if we’ll do that before the end of this season, i suspect the replacement will be a winter plan in the off-season.

euain

It is a bit of a battering! Of course now he’s wanting a DH bike as more travel might have helped.
    Broken wheel

weeksy

It is a bit of a battering! Of course now he’s wanting a DH bike as more travel might have helped.

You should’ve said on the day… he could have tried/used ours…. If you’d mentioned it, he could’ve bought it at the end of the day too 😀 😀

euain

The less temptation he gets the better! He wants to go back for a play there as soon as we can – and there’s no way I’ll be able to keep him in sight if he’s on a DH bike!

Top marks to Silt wheels though. I don’t think there’s anything that would survive an unlucky hit on those rocks but I sent them the picture and there’s a new rim in the post this morning. Excellent service.

ocrider

Fwiw Lisa who won the juniors broke two wheels over the weekend. She can’t weigh more than 55kg and is a very clean rider to boot. I’m not sure that she’s ever broken a wheel on a race weekend before.

weeksy

Fwiw Lisa who won the juniors broke two wheels over the weekend. She can’t weigh more than 55kg and is a very clean rider to boot.

Not shocked at all mate, it’s a brutal place that’s for sure. Happily, we’re not back there now until next year and it’ll give me time to save up for spare wheels LOL. I think i need to start a go-fund-me page for this sport 😀

My biggest worry was/is that we go there, spend all weekend practicing and spanner something in race and go home with nothing. But that mindset has changed on that in the last few months as part of the learning experience we’re all going through, which is now “if it happens it happens” and we know there’s going to come a race weekend we DNF because of a mechanical or crash and we simply have to accept it. All we can do is take the spares we have and if it goes pear shaped, we go home and hopefully enjoyed the weekend.
    When we had the issues before race run this weekend we kinda weighed up that we’d had a full weeekend riding, learning and enjoying and if his tyre didn’t hold, so be it..

weeksy

Minor bummer that not only did he dink his brand new rim, but he’s destroyed a new tyre as well lol. Sheesh. He’s ripped 2 knobbles off the tyre and down to the canvas.
    We’ve still got some in spares but mostly they’re DH22 which he’s not gelled with at all due to their very slow rolling. He doesn’t seem to be able to cross that line between grip and speed.
    Going to have to go in search of some new rear rubber.

weeksy

Rocky! Just a bit

2023-05-09_09-03-49

2023-05-09_09-03-41

2023-05-09_09-02-31

2023-05-09_09-02-22

2023-05-09_09-06-03

towpathman

Awesome pics!

Tracey

Great pics 🔥

bigdaddy

Fantastic photos – that boy can ride!! Brilliant

weeksy

Fantastic photos – that boy can ride!!

I wonder who his actual father is 😂😂😂

bikerevivesheffield

James Hewitt Vs king Charlie all over again weeksy 🤣

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has his riding just come along in the last few weeks? I’ve seen some slightly older pics/vids and your son looks a little rigid / square if you get what I mean where as in those pics he looks much more relaxed / flowy

It’s great watching kids with talent in any sport, even my son in football, one day something looks forced/awkward the next something just clicks and changes and you can see the improvement instantly.

john_l
    Free Member

Ace pics!

weeksy

Has his riding just come along in the last few weeks? I’ve seen some slightly older pics/vids and your son looks a little rigid / square if you get what I mean where as in those pics he looks much more relaxed / flowy

i THINK so, but he’s always looked fairly stylish to me anyway. But recently the coaching has been upped and the riding has become a lot more tech, so yeah i’m hoping we’re getting improvements. He’s now out with Katy every Weds evening as well as her coming to races to offer wisdom and he’s still at the stage where he’s a sponge and absorbs the info.

He’s still got a long way to go to reach anything like the front, but he’s still enjoying it. It’s often seemed to me like there’s 2 different riders, 1 being the flowy type, which i don’t always see… i think he’s starting to unleash the flowy guy a bit more often.

weeksy

It’s been an interesting week, with a bit less pressure this week which has been nice. He’s been out with Katy of course and out on his own a bit, then out with me at Surrey Hills yesterday with a load of mates. Seeing the difference in fitness, climbing, effort … Wow… it’s most impressive just how quickly it’s improving.

I’ve not yet collected the race bike from Rotec though, that’ll get done in the next few days. Yesterday though he was commenting about the tyres on the 141 potentially being a little draggy. So swapped the ‘soft’ Magic Mary and the MaxxGrip DHRII for something a little better rolling. I’ve thrown an Assegai on the front in MaxxTerra and on the back an Aggressor.

Just had an Email this morning from DMR who are sending him some more grips as he’s quite harsh on grips and running the soft compound he gets through them quickly.

Upcoming weekend is Pearce race at Rhyd-Y-Felin, you get a LOT of the fast kids there, along with kids who’ve ridden it many many times, he’s been there before so arguably knows it better than most places we’ve gone to. We’ve got a few plans lined up in terms of tyre testing as we’ll have the coach there too so we can do some timing with phones etc. I’m curious to see if he can notice any difference in tyre combos and if they actually make him faster or slower, if anything at all. It’s something we need to work on as the racing is so tight that often even 2-3 seconds on a trail can make several places difference in results.

Most importantly though is that he’s still wanting to ride… pretty much most days he’ll get up and want to head out. It’s not always viable though as he’s hitting the gym too and coaching, but the desire to go out and play is still there 🙂

seantemple
    Free Member

I must have crossed paths with you guys a couple of times yesterday on pitch, kit looked familiar and now i know why.

weeksy

Ah right 👍 what were you riding matey? We chatted to a few people randomly but I must admit I was feeling a little sorry for myself as I had a big crash on captain clunk and have spannered my shin/knee a bit. I ended up bailing earlier than the others as I couldn’t pedal.

weeksy

While I’m in here, I may as well post a few more pics

2023-05-15_04-34-55

2023-05-15_04-34-49

2023-05-15_04-34-44

2023-05-15_04-34-32

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oAZpYH]2023-05-17_11-21-01[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

That’s the oil after just 2 months.

Jobs list.
    1. New pads and a full caliper service/bleed on the Tech3/V4s (Rotec) DONE
    2. Sort dink in the rear rim on rear race wheel (Rotec) DONE
    3. Sort 2x dink in the front race wheel (Rotec) DONE
    4. Lowers service/oil/clean on the Boxxers (Rotec) DONE
    5. Bearing check and replacement on Blue race bike DONE
    6. New chain on the blue race bike DONE
    7. Reconfigure gearing on purple spare bike to 10sp setup DONE
    8. Reconfigure alignment of idler on purple spare bike DONE
    9. Tyre swap on spare wheel rear (torn sidewall) DONE
    10. Gear cable replacement on blue race bike. Not done.

Add to that, this week we’ve had 2 new pairs of DMR Deathgrips and a new pair of Crankbrothers shoes.

trap6
    Free Member

Your done then :).

weeksy

Yup, all good. HE spent 3 hours earlier at FoD testing it and bike is running sweeetly

Even better was that he borrowed a mates 2021 V10 and didn’t like it much… bargain 😀

Need to fit a new front tyre tomorrow as the Hillbilly is mud based and due to be dry at weekend, but that’s a 5 minute job.

trap6
    Free Member

I been following this thread fella,fair play too you,he’s very lucky to have a father that invests so much time and dedication in the abundance that you do,by the looks of the progress made it’s working a treat.
    Best of luck too him/you and let’s hope one day had can reach the dizee heights of WC,it’s entertaining too say the least.

weeksy

Best of luck too him/you and let’s hope one day had can reach the dizee heights of WC,it’s entertaining too say the least.

Thank you, that’s very kind. In truth, i don’t even know what his goals are any more really in that sense. I’m sure he’d love to, but how realistic that is.. well, i can safely say that at the moment he’s not a ‘contender’. But that said, very few are and there’s still 100+ who rock up to a WC meet to try and qualify. But it’s less about what he can reach and more about what opportunities this can give him if he wanted a career within the industry. Ideally one that would allow him to have a good life, ride lots and have fun adventures.
    We’re still having lots of those, which is enough for me to be happy 🙂

beej

But it’s less about what he can reach and more about what opportunities this can give him

He’s developing so many things through all this – social skills, self-discipline, focus, listening and learning. Even if he gives up the riding it’ll all help him in the future.

weeksy

I’ve been unhappy with the rear mech for a while on his race bike. The arm is VERY sticky… but as well as that, the pivot points are somewhat wobbly. The local friendly mechanic at Rotec noticed it the other day too.
    Of course we have a spare,
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2oBpzAQ]2023-05-19_08-17-36[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

But that isn’t exactly perfect either, i threw it on but it’s slightly sticky compared to the spare bike…

So i jumped on CRC/Wiggle yesterday and they have a Saint in the right flavour for £95 so i’ve ordered that…. That makes it a pretty expensive week up to now after fork service, brake rebuild, 2 sets of Hope pads and a dead rear tyre.. LOL. Once you add in petrol to FoD this week and then all the weekends expense for getting up to Rhyd-y-Felin and staying for the weekend… it’s not a cheap one.

The mech will go on once it arrives today, so we’ll be golden for the weekend. I’m hoping that’s all the bike needs for now.

Tracey

👍 looks like he’s on for a good season. Well done to both of you. Behind every good rider is his good team.

Some weeks are like that, you win some you loose some. I would swap you bills this week, bought some cheap 38s for spares off the classifieds and got a great deal on 160 air shaft on eBay. Both too good to miss

Big expense today after blowing a hole in one of the pistons in the camper. Told by Ford its a known fault on the 2.2 engine when an injector decides to over fuel. Pity they wont help with the bill for the new engine. Same engine as yours so keep an eye on it. Picking it up and straight into the Peak to relax.

All the parts had finally been delivered for the body repairs from the heat damage in last years wild fires to the camper but had to be put on hold due to the engine problems so will be touring the Alps in the wonky camper again.

weeksy

Ouchy ! did they give any indication of symptoms ? e.g, what would i/we look for ?

Tracey

No symptoms at all. All the warning lights came on and went into limp mode on the M1. All the power went in an instant. The oil went everywhere from the blow back.

I’m told that Fords latest release when they plug it in to the system should cure it but we never had a recall and we cant find out if there was one. We have the Ford Pass app and have had nothing on it

Surprising to me is that the same engine is fitted to other makes which have had the same problem.

weeksy

I’ll speak to my mate, he’s a Ford Van center owner/dealer. It’s due in there soon anyway as i’ve put 9500 miles on it since buying.

Oh yeah, that was another this week. 2 new front tyres 😀

Tracey

Got quite a few questions to ask when we pick it up. If they give any pointers will let you know.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So we’re now straight in for Bala (Rhyd-y-Felin)

Is that actually the same valley as Revolution Bike Park? If so thats not far on the road bike from where I live, I might pop over and watch on Sunday.

Is the info on location on Pearce Cycles accurate ie the dropped pin?

https://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/races/race/index/19/round-3-rhyd-y-felin

weeksy

YEah mate, if you go on the little lane to Revs, (it’s on your left), continue down that lane about another mile, through a farm etc… you’ll see the venue at the end of that lane. Can’t miss it.

We’ll have beer, snacks, BBQ etc if you want to join in for a bit of chat.

zerocool

@Tracey – I was speaking to a friend who’s a mechanic and he thinks that the last few generations of Ford Transit engines (the 2.2 and the newer 2.0) are a bit delicate (like most new engines. I’m on my second one with no problems. He reckons the long oil changes and service intervals that Ford follow don’t help. We’ve gone back to 10,000 mile oil changes to try to reduce the risk of this.

Like I said, we’ve had no problems with our old one or the new one, but modern engines are just not as robust because they’re made lighter, and more power/torque in a smaller engine. But then we can’t all drive around in the old 2.5 non turbo engines. Lol

Tracey

Thanks. Feed back from Trust Ford is that there isn’t alot can be done about it and we were just unlucky. Theres nothing we could have done to prevent it. It’s a 2015 with 53k on the clock and has a Ford service plan.
    I knew about all the problems with the 2.0, Injectors and cam belts, as we have a Tourneo Custom and so far it’s been trouble free.

Keeping fingers crossed

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.