• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by HobNob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • pobaker
    Free Member

In a slightly harsh turn of events with him being 15 at some stage of this year, he’s now racing in the U18… I’m sure they used to have U16 with Southern, but seems it’s U18s now. But i’m expecting him and Drew his team-mate to do OK

My son always gets caught by this as well. he turns 15 2 weeks before the end of the year, and quite a few races this year that puts him in U18. Hes only just turned 14 and is just barely 5′ tall – far smaller than most of his mates who are still in U15. I still think he’ll give most of the U18s a run for their money but it does look a bit ridiculous when you see him compared to a load of 17 year olds…

weeksy

obviously it’ll play in my boys favour next year as he’ll be in the older of the 15-16s when it gets to the later half of next year.. He’s a decent height at 5’10 though and pretty strong, so it’s not really his build holding him back in any way or his actual strength. It’s possibly if anything, maybe experience… but we can’t really use that these days as he’s racing a lot.
    It’s all good though and all good fun… I’m looking forward to the weekend lots.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Loving the photos and videos weeksy. Great attitude from weeksy jr too. He knows he has the pace to do damage and that will help him relax and develop. I dont really follow all the tech talk but i love seeing a developing athlete and this thread has it in abundance.

weeksy

He knows he has the pace to do damage

You say that… but he’s very self deprecating and humble about it… He often thinks he’ll finish way lower than he ends up. I do sometimes wonder if he does actually believe that or think “yeah i’m fast”.. inside his head… I’d love to get into it and find out that bit.
    I think his self-belief is gradually increasing though as time and races move by. But the fact is, some people are still a million miles ahead.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider117242/stan-nisbet/results/

This kid for example, raced last year in National DH…. won every single race including the national champs… Now he’s proper proper fast. But we’re getting better and better as a rider, person and of course a team with the events we do.

I don’t post a lot of his vids as they’re a bit ‘samey’ in some ways “kid going fast….” basically.

I’ll try and get some this weekend though

julians
    Free Member

From looking what’s fitted he’s got
    MM Front in Gravity compound
    DHF on the back in Max Terra.

On the Spares he’s got a
    DH22 on the front in silly soft/grippy
    MM in gravtiy on the rear.

You’re mixing up compounds and casings terminology here.

Compound describe how grippy a tyre is, casings describe how tough (and heavy) a tyre is.

Schwalbe tyres have 3 casings in increasing toughness, they might have some really lightweight casings too but I don’t pay much attention to those

-super trail
    -super gravity
    -super downhill

And a few compounds (again there might be more)

– soft
    – ultra soft

so you could have a super gravity tyre in either soft or ultra soft compound , ie a tyre of the same toughness but different grip properties

Maxxis have the following casings

-exo
    -exo+
    -doubledown
    -downhill

And the following compounds

– maxxspeed
    – maxxterra
    – maxxgrip

Not all combinations ofcasing and compound are available.

weeksy

thumbs up smily emoji thing

weeksy

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp5aKpRvwuN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Apologies, he’s not sent me the video

weeksy

weeksy

Race day and it’s not dark!

First one of getting up in sunlight in a very long time.

Lots of practice time for the lad, so a bit of a long morning standing round for me today

squealer
    Free Member

Are you going to fod to ride the elephant man trail?

Was there with the kids yesterday so rode it. Was surprised how little tech was on it for a downhill race, must be all about having big balls and going flat out constantly!

Good luck!

weeksy

Run 1 2nd place

Tracey

👍🤞

weeksy

Crash on run 2. Waiting for results

weeksy

4th overall

Tracey

Still a solid result

towpathman

Congratulations!

fazzini

Awesome job Team@weeksy 👍🏻

weeksy

Another day, another race meeting.

Sunshine and warmer temps were nice. As always the lad was flying in practice, him, drew and a couple of others playing and testing lines.

Run 1 was smooth according to the lad with 2nd place but a pack all close to him. Numbers in the race were low with only 28 in Youth and less in other classes so it was a quick turn around for run 2.
    As he came past us he stacked it and has twisted his ankle a bit. Which may or may not affect his ability to race next weekend.
    2 people went quicker and he led home the bunch with his teammate in 12th.

He’s putting in epic performances and flying at the moment, again today he beat several riders he’s never beaten before. Hopefully he’ll start to believe he’s got what it takes to do it at this and all levels.

Back home with beer for me and ice on his ankle for him

weeksy

2023-03-19_09-10-55

bigdaddy

Great result! That’s a close field!!

crosshair
    Free Member

💥 Ace result 😀 Well done Team Weeksy 💪🏻

weeksy

Every race is like that at the moment, 1 mistake, missed corner, boom, 10-15 places lost. They’re just completely on it, every second of every race. It’s crazy.

Best part of the day though was the friendships he now forming with the lads, we barely saw him for 2 hours as they were talking crap, checking out lines etc, then hanging round together by the vans messing around and chatting. Assuming he’s ok with ankle, it’s the same 4 lads from this weekend who are all racing Southern Enduro, so if he can make it, it’ll be fun.

v7fmp

ah man, my prediction was almost right!

Good effort from the lad.

nickc

Bloody hell, that’s closer than F1 qualifying  haha! Nice result

weeksy

Sometimes you sit there and think “must be time for a bit of a breather now”

But the answer is NO of course.

New Tech3 V4’s installed on the Privateer this morning. Bit of a pain as i had to bleed the rear, but it’s fairly easy, just like motorbikes really. Due to buying them off a mate he gave me a bleed kit, but i already own one, so i’ve now got 2 of those, obviously one will be sold. But the brakes are on and ready to roll. We’ve now got 2 sets of spare Codes and a set of Guides in the box of everythingness. He’ll have to do a bit of testing on them to make sure he’s happy with bite/reach and bleeding, but i’m fairly happy they’re close to where he likes them.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2oocdAq]2023-03-20_09-19-53[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Then we’ve got the new mech to go onto the Fury in the next few weeks.

Along with that i need to have a look at my dropper post on the Slayer as it’s not very responsive at times, so likely needs a bit of a clean/service inside. However, i don’t want to take it apart today as i’ve got BPW Enduro race on it on Weds. I suppose if i broke it, i could just use his Privateer now 😀

Then we’re straight into the weekend, Sat lunchtime driving to Plymouth are for Newnham Park enduro with Scott at Southern Enduro. This is of course as long as the lads ankle is OK, but he hobbled to school this morning without the crutches he was using last night, so i think he’ll be OK there for weekend.

Straight after that we’re into the big boys DH stuff at Rheola for Gravity Events, this is a warm-up type event for the National DH 2 weeks later.. All the big boys will be playing, so we’ll need to be fit and healthy for then anyway. It’s all a juggling act of time, finances, fitness, training, coaching and riding… Not to forget a bit of recovery in there too… For him and one day, maybe even for me 😀

weeksy

2023-03-20_05-43-59

weeksy

Well happily it looks like the boys injury from the weekend was superficial and he’s all good for this weekends race down in Newnham Park.
    It’s our debut for Southerns in 2023 and also our debut for van-camping and tent-camping… But we better get used to it as we’re doing it 3-4 weekends on the bounce.
    The Privateer is ready to roll… the competition is a tough one but i wouldn’t be too shocked to see either/both him and his team-mate in the top 5 if all goes well. We know a few others from previous races and they’re proper quick, but so are the 2 in the team, so it’s not impossible.
    I need to get BPW out of the way tommorrow first and then do any last checks, setups, kit, even building and testing the tent on Thurs/Fri when the weather allows.

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

The advice to get an enduro bike to supplement the dh about a year ago was spot on.

Weather is wet all week for Plymouth but its still firm underfoot

weeksy

The advice to get an enduro bike to supplement the dh about a year ago was spot on.

IT was and wasn’t…. The plan we went for clearly has worked and he rides as much or more than any of his mates with an Enduro bike. However primarily he’s a DH racer at heart currently and at the time a 2nd DH bike made sense to have to progress and keep him in races with a mechanical problem.
    I was never the one who’s been against the idea of an Enduro bike, i even bought him the Specialized Status which he then decided he didn’t want to ride.

Honestly it’s not all just quite as simple as “buy this, that’s it…” as you’ve got teenagers and emotions and their wants and desires in the mix.
    His team-mate has spent the last 12 weeks barely sitting on his DH bike, preferring his Enduro and now his 141… With the thoughts in his head of “nah, just not feeling it”… then the last 2 races, he’s been back on the DH bike after back-to-back testing of both the DH and Enduro the day before races.

There is no right and wrong answer, other than “the bike they’ll ride instead of sitting at home on Snapchat” it’s that simple really.
    However, i have no doubt that having and riding the Privateer in races will help with skills, fitness, bike time…. No argument at all.

However, to think “you’ve done it all wrong” by doing it the way we have, is just plain and simply incorrect.. We’ve done what’s right for us.. The boy has had fun, enjoyed riding, still got the passion and the love for riding and racing.. So we’ve done it perfectly IMO.

There’s still many things i’ve either not yet shared on here or not allowed to share yet about certain aspects of who sponsors/supports the team (and him) and what other things we’ve got going on in the background, but some of the sponsors like to do things in a certain way/method and we’ve learned a few lessons on this and we don’t rock the boat. But trust me when i say, these decisions on bikes, kits, stuff etc and riding time, style, races, series, gets a riidculous amount of thought and planning.

Don’t get me wrong here, i don’t see the lad becoming a superstar of DH racing, that’s not how i see the world going. HOwever what we are doing is giving him a way to either ride, race, work in the industry in his future.

We can debate the right and wrong of any decisions we make until the cown come home, but it’s exactly that WE make… not me, not him, me and him… WE decide or plans, our future, our riding and we live with the consequences of that ourselves. I never know if our decisions are right, wrong, good or bad… but we’re both happy with where we are in the world of riding and racing.

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

My message wasn’t trying to suggest you had done anything right or wrong, that’s for you and your boy to decide. I just meant he is using the 141 and supplementing that with the DH on less challenging rides and that will only improve his all round skill set. So seems to make sense. Apologies if that didn’t come across like that, not my intention.

weeksy

No need for apologies fella, I didn’t take it like that. I was just trying to voice that decisions are not always quite as simple as answer X or y.

I 100% agree it will help him and I’m pretty sure it very much is doing. I do have a habit of splurting out lots of words and often are not quite how I set out with the reply

d42dom

Due to buying them off a mate he gave me a bleed kit, but i already own one, so i’ve now got 2 of those, obviously one will be sold.

not sure it’s ok to ask here… but how much would you be after?

weeksy

Take a fiver off the best posted price you can find. I’ll do it for that?

d42dom

PM sent, I am assuming that functionality works… Let me know if you’ve not received anything

weeksy

Todays thoughts move onto tyre inserts for the DH Nationals.

Currently we run none, ever… However, should we ? That’s the big question really and if so, on which wheel or indeed should we run on both ?
    We don’t get punctures.. it’s about 2 years since he flatted and that was we think down to faulty taping of the wheel.
    But considering inserts as at Nationals you only get 1 run… So if you flat, you’re out.

But there’s ‘feel’ in the discussion too of course as inserts feel differently to standard tubeless.

So just looking for thoughts and ideas really.

rockhopper70

I think inserts, if you, or he, is concerned they might alter the feel, is really something that is a “suck it and see” option as I cannot imagine being able to describe how “feel” is altered…it’s very very subjective.

FWIW, I put a rimpact in the rear wheel of my bike, but it’s merely a 130mm travel lightweight trail bike and I run a Rock Razor. But I ride in the Calder Valley where it can be very steep and very rocky and sometimes, when I’m feeling brave, I do go quite quick. I have had a few rides spoiled with snakebite type punctures so I thought it was a worthwhile precaution. I can’t tell the difference TBH, with how the back end feels, and no punctures to date. Coincidence?

If nothing else, an insert might give more confidence to hit stuff harder, and if it does save even that one potential snake bite of disaster, then I’d probably go for it. But I’ll concede to being no expert on the various heavy duty carcasses used on DH bikes, so would defer to those that can comment.

mark88

DH casing tyres with no inserts for me, and I’m probably 40kg heavier than your son. However I will caveat that by saying I’ve never raced Fort Willam or Glencoe…

Feel wise, he won’t notice. I’ve got a set on my trail bike and there is minimal obvious difference. I’m sure it would allow me to play with pressures if I was inclined, but I’m not. Considering you’ve said how little he cares for bike set up, I think there’s nothing to be gained here.

dc1988

If he hasn’t flatted in a while then I wouldn’t bother, he’s still relatively light so it’s not a necessity. It’s something you could test away from racing but there’s no guarantee that an insert will stop a puncture anyway so you may not feel it’s worth the faff

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you’ve got spare wheels get insets for those and then he can try both in practice?

weeksy

If you’ve got spare wheels get insets for those and then he can try both in practice?

Course we do 🙂

But the inserts are sodding expensive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.