• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by HobNob.
Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • matt_outandabout

Heal quick mini_weeksy.

razorrazoo

Was he actually trying to gap it? I’ve not seen anyone do it bar the Brendog/o-dub/Kerr/Reynolds vids. That’s a big huck.

Healing vibes.

theotherjonv

3-4 weeks for a collarbone sounds optimistic, unless they’re pinning it?

weeksy

Was he actually trying to gap it? I’ve not seen anyone do it bar the Brendog/o-dub/Kerr/Reynolds vids. That’s a big huck.

Yes. He’s been lining it up for the last 3 visits. He thought he had it.

It seems he doesn’t

mashr

theotherjonv

Agreed, that sounds like MotoGP style “recovery” times

jam-bo

Well it’ll save you some fuel costs…

Sounds like he might need to learn when to wind it in a bit. I had a mate like that, blisteringly fast, or crashed. Nothing in between. Doesn’t ride anymore.

weeksy

It’s not completely split… the Doc said 2-3 weeks.

I can only go by what they say, but as it’s winter currently, it doesn’t much matter as 3 weeks or 5 weeks, it’s OK… we won’t rush back. We’ve cancelled the upcoming races, cancelled the trip to Dyfi and we’ll see how long it takes, come back slowly and easily… see where the world goes.

It won’t/shouldn’t change the long-term plans, goals and overall racing… so we should hopefully be all OK.

weeksy

I had a mate like that, blisteringly fast, or crashed. Nothing in between.

First big crash he’s ever had… There is a lesson though that jumping ain’t racing and being good and doing bigger jumps doesn’t necessarily mean a lot… but TBH that’s not really a chat for today… but another day.

ocrider

Helping vibes to James, that sounds nasty from the description. I don’t have the guts to press play.
    I must say that 3/4 weeks is rather optimistic. One of my daughter’s riding buddies did her’s hitting a tree earlier this year and took around two months to get back on the bike, although no pins or plates were involved in this case.

weeksy

2022-10-30_09-13-26

I thought something wasn’t quite straight

theotherjonv

IANAE, but that’s ****

fazzini

Double ouch!

ocrider

Couple of cable ties and it’ll be grand

scaredypants

Oooof – hope he heals well, weeksy

Tell him tales of Matt Hayman and stick him on the turbo for a month !

weeksy

Before

2022-10-30_09-40-37

razorrazoo

Awaits ‘Incoming-new fork day’ thread.

weeksy

Awaits ‘Incoming-new fork day’ thread.

Well I don’t have a lot of options really. Short term I can take the Boxxers out of the blue bike. But either way I’ll need some forks.

The irritation for me on that is that I’d spoken to the guy with the Slayer and was planning on going up tomorrow to buy it

But £1000 of forks say that’s not happening

ayjaydoubleyou

Careful, you’ll run out of Furies at this rate.

Big kahunas to try to quad the whale tail. It may have taken me years to do it the regular way 🙈

zerocool

Healing vibes. Go steady on the return (but looks like you’re on point with that already). Once he’s feeling up to it remind him that a shoulder injury is the perfect excuse to train legs. It’s turbo, aor squat and leg press time.

Good luck and good job you bought a spare, spare DH bike.

Remember “Pain Heals, chicks dig scars, but Glory lasts forever” Vince McKewin

matt_outandabout

First big crash he’s ever had… There is a lesson though that jumping ain’t racing and being good and doing bigger jumps doesn’t necessarily mean a lot… but TBH that’s not really a chat for today… but another day.

Could you make it a Webinar?

Eldest_oab at near enough 21 still hasn’t learned about when to go 100% and when to dial it back a touch… So far he has has damaged a knee, his other knee (while skiing), gashed and broken a hand, two broken fingers on another hand, tweaked ankle, gashed arm, dented chest plate and had bruises up sternum, dented or busted three helmets, ripped disc line out of calliper, and I think we are on 5th rear wheel…All separate incidents.

Thankfully he hasn’t had a ‘huge’ one as when it gets really (Nico Vink’s Chatel line) big and jumpy he has learned to build up, consider, take care etc.

Yak

Heal up well weeksy-jnr.
    That quad jump is a biggie, crazy stuff. Were there other folk there sending it? Anyway, brave lad and hope he bounces back soon.

stumpy01

Bugger!
    Hope your son heals up soon and it doesn’t affect him moving forwards, both physically and mentally.

What state are the forks in? Might “just” be a new set of lowers?

weeksy

Were there other folk there sending it?

Nopes, i don’t think anyone in their right mind even considers it 😀

What state are the forks in? Might “just” be a new set of lowers?

I emailed Xfusion and Upgrade Bikes to see if it’s an option to buy as not showing on the parts list.

I have already sorted a set of forks though, which should be with us by Sat morning… Steerer length is good, condition good… so hopefully all good to go.

dc1988

Are you going air so you can easily borrow it!

weeksy

Are you going air so you can easily borrow it!

Funnily enough, yes to air, but not for that reason. Just price and availability really. There’s not many Dual Crown forks about used, there’s even less in decent condition and even less for sub £1000. So this has kinda forced my hand a bit but they’ll be air yes.

I’m now stuck on the dilemma of whether to get that Slayer for myself which i was 100% set on, but i must admit the last 18 hours or so has kinda thrown me a bit…

The nurse in A&E asked “what happened”…. “oh i’ve got a video”…. 5 of them stood and watched, it was like watching a scene from the exorcist or something, they nearly exploded and massive :O :O :O faces… whilst i saw the funny side, this has somewhat thrown me off kilter a bit, partly the bike, partly the boy….

He’ll be ok in a few weeks… my wallet may take a little longer to recover…

mashr

I emailed Xfusion and Upgrade Bikes to see if it’s an option to buy as not showing on the parts list.

That’s bonkers, lowers are probably the easiest damaged part of a fork. Hopefully they show up somewhere (usually with new bushes already installed)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s not completely split… the Doc said 2-3 weeks.

Bone takes 2-3 weeks to start growing back together, it then needs some weeks after that to gain strength

weeksy

Well i can only go by the pamphlet they gave us, but as i’ve said, we’re not in a rush in terms of riding, nothing was tricky to cancel, all the hotels were booked with cancellation allowed etc.. So we just sit and wait, if it’s 3 weeks it’s 3… if it’s 6 it’s 6… He’ll know and he’s not daft enough to start hitting stuff until it’s recovering.

We’ve got so many things in place/process for next year it’d be crazy to rush and make things worse, so we’ll be patient. I’ll ride some stuff without him and still get out.

nickc

oooofffttt, healing vibes, but…If he’s not pushing it, he’s not progressing. (don’t tell him that though!!)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Hey weeksy, healing vibes to your boy. Going to watch the video…..

If you look back this is the exact situation i was referring to when i suggested getting some physio sessions in ‘pre injury’. I think you had posted up something about is your kid doing too much? Its not just the healing of the broken bone, its having someone who has spent time with your son and knows what his range of movement etc was like pre injury.

Honestly, everyone i see with sporting kids seems to spend all their time and money thinking about coaching, equipment and performance when the number 1 priority should be their health now and for their future. Even if this comes at the cost of them not being so successful. I pay about £50 every couple of months for an hours session. They discuss any niggles and issues which are usually minor and he gives suggestions for good practice etc. Sometimes it will just be a sports massage. Then they go through the upcoming workload etc and put a little plan in place.

Its no guarantee but i think investing money into your kids future health is worthwhile.

weeksy

:thumbsupsmileything

jonesyboy

Heal up quick, think Wolverine speed.

On a side note I can see the preview of you tube videos, but click on them and it’s just grey. Android Google pixel 5 with chrome here…. Anything to reset?

weeksy

Spent 30 mins this morning swapping the front/rear springs on the blue GT to convert it back to the boys setting. Also took 20mm off the bars overall as they were wider than his purple bike. So even though he can’t ride for some weeks, it’s all good to roll.

I’ve bought and paid for a set of Boxxer Select 2021 models which are air sprung so that’ll be interesting.

I’m just waiting for confirmation from Upgrade bikes on getting the XFusion forks booked in for replacement lowers (assuming they’re straight), seems to come in at a not-insanely expensive £240 fitted with a service too…So that’ll be done as a winter project and either kept for spares or sold on. Probably kept for spares so they can be fitted back on when it’s eventually sold on as he gets bigger.

Yak

That doesn’t seem too bad for lowers + a service.

I had a glance at that quad jump yesterday…just nuts as it is long, and you have lost the speed of the hill as it’s nearly flat by then. Ie at a normal Main Line speed the new table on the L is perfect…but that is at least half the quad jump. I suppose you have to squash the jumps higher up and just pedal flat out? Crazy stuff!

weeksy

I had a glance at that quad jump yesterday…just nuts as it is long, and you have lost the speed of the hill as it’s nearly flat by then. Ie at a normal Main Line speed the new table on the L is perfect…but that is at least half the quad jump. I suppose you have to squash the jumps higher up and just pedal flat out? Crazy stuff!

That’s pretty much the gist of it matey yeah. You have to try and carry the speed into it as it’s not much of a lip/kicker. If it was 50% bigger on the take off, he’d have been golden as he’d just send it to oblivion. But I guess it’s the sort of jump you don’t know you don’t have it, right up until the second you don’t have it.
    He tried a few run ins trying to jump both to the left of the landing and the right to gauge it, but they’re not really appropriate landing areas so again, it left something to the ‘maybe’ factor. When he gets things in his head though sometimes i just have to have belief in him, i look at it and it’s not even a consideration, it’s just a random mental jump. But i really did think he’d bottle it again and not go for it…. When he lauched it I was pretty surprised lol.

I feel bad for him of course and even worse for my wallet, but it’s hard to knock him for it, you’ve got to push boundaries, you’ve got to find out what you can or cannot do. I may have mentioned earlier but we did have a discusion in the car about “will that make you a better/faster racer” type scenarios, but the truth is, kinda, maybe… sorta.. It’s a toughie to answer. He’s got away with it to a great extent, a couple or 5 weeks of ball-ache and he’ll be back out getting muddy and hitting trails again.

desperatebicycle

What did his mum say?

weeksy

What did his mum say?

Well lets just say that was challenging, esepcially when he sent her the video… Even more so when asked “how many others did it that day” and the answer of course was ‘none’ and even more faceplants when asked “how many usually do it” to which, Fairclough, Craik, Kerr, etc apparently wasn’t really a good answer.
    She doesn’t like it obviously, but she accepts this is the life he’s chosen and the game he wants to be a part of.

It’s a big part of the reason she’s only ever watch him race once and not seen him send anything since he was about 9.

We’re both very much ‘in’ with all of this… but as you’ll gather, it’s got certain aspects that make things a bit tough. I’m still slightly struggling with a broken finger (confirmed 4 days later after x-ray as a small chip) from the MIJ race, he’s obviously out of action with the clavicle… so she is quite rightly a bit dubious at some of it.

Yak

Fair enough, he did what he could to gauge it, which is the best way to approach things. Good luck with the healing. He’ll be back before you know it.

mert
    Free Member

I had a mate like that, blisteringly fast, or crashed.

You’re not the only one, an ex team mate of mine used to either finish on the podium (or close) or in an ambulance. and on one memorable weekend, a helicopter (and that wasn’t even a race weekend, just larking around on a club ride).

weeksy

With the idea of ‘working on new places’ for next season we currently have plenty of stuff lined up once the lad is back from his break.

Bringewood, Hopton, Bucknell, Dyfi, Cwmcarn, Twisted Oaks.
    On top of that he’s got several days of coaching planned and booked in.

The only real downside is the cancellation of Gawton, Dyfi, along with a coaching day and a 417 race. But can’t be helped. He’s also missing out on his Circuits/Cardio and strength sessions which was coming along really well. With a bit of luck though he can get on the turbo in about a weeks time to turn the legs over.

It’ll be interesting to see where they do next year’s National DH with Revolution bike park being no longer, I suspect it’ll be Antur Stiniog, so we’ll need to get over there.

Still waiting for the fella to organise the new Boxxer selects for the DH bike and the XFusion RV1 forks have been sent off to be hopefully repaired and serviced. Not sure what that means in terms of forks that he’ll run next year, I guess we’ll spend a few days testing between the two sets to decide and maybe sell a set on.

We’re still waiting on a few other bits of crazy to be finalised that I’m hoping to share soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.