• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by HobNob.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • weeksy

On the Shimano side, I assume Zee/Saints are the required level

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185576262570

Or the Code RS here..
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325348392713

But i guess we’re getting into personal preference then to an extent too.

dc1988

I think even the Deore M6120 4 pots are as good as the Zee’s and have all the same functionality. The “R” level SRAM brakes don’t have the swinglink lever so aren’t as good as the RS and RSC level brakes.

It’s easy to almost create a personal preference with bike parts just by being used to them. Guide R’s are far from the best available so I’m sure your boy could get used to something different (and almost certainly better) pretty quickly.

I would also say that he’s only going to get bigger and faster so his braking requirements will be going up!

razorrazoo

If SRAM is the preferred brake, the Code RSC is the one to pick.

weeksy

If SRAM is the preferred brake, the Code RSC is the one to pick.

He does seem to prefer SRAM. But we’ve not used/tried many, Hope, Magura etc… We’d not tried TRP until the weekend actually. They seem a little low in terms of spec for a DH bike, but i guess in the level of trim we bought you’re not going to get the best brakes on the planet.

mashr

I think the problem with the TRP is as much the lever shape as anything, they’re quite a long lever, so I’ve moved them inwards on the bars to try and give better leverage for him. Despite him being tall, he’s still a bit weedy and especially with the recovering arm, a bit lacking in grab power. So even if the TRPs are at their best, I’m not sure they’ll be ideal.

I dont think the Slates will work out for him. I’ve just ditched my Quadiem levers (kept the calipers) for the same reason. Even when moved inboard, the length of the lever means it has to move a long way between the starting and bite point. I’ve just ditched the TRP levers for Shimanos – works very nicely (and ended up with a 10mm shorter lever throw)
    They’ve now shortened the levers on newer models, and seem to have created a whole new problem where the thrown is really short but you cant wind the lever in far enough to get the bite point to a useful place. Shame as they are bullet proof, and seem to keep the fluid remarkably clean

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of code Rs I’d happily sell – came off my ebike after about 50 miles. I hate the bloody things and went straight back to shimano 4 pots. PM me if interested.

anderzz
    Free Member

Considering the money being spent on brakes I’d give Magura Mt5 a look. I bought my sets from amazon.de in last for around £68 each and they are so much better than my old guides.

weeksy

I personally fancy these Zees, or even the suggestion above of the Magura… mostly to get away from the sram bleeding edge and also brake fluid. I’d prefer the simplicity of mineral oil. Although i’ve not looked into the bleed process on the Magura yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175384799861

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195362477287?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20211130125621%26meid%3Deee1ae5b019847629671fb7c1506d264%26pid%3D101465%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D175384799861%26itm%3D195362477287%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D3817808%26brand%3DMAGURA&_trksid=p3817808.c101465.m3507

The window of needing to get this done ASAP has moved now i guess as i’m unlikely to get them and get them fitted for the weekend. It’d probably be daft to head there with brand new brakes he’s not tried too. So tonight we’ll be out bedding in the new pads on the TRPs, then we’ll be taking the bike with them on Sunday, along with the other GT of course. Tonight will be some trail fun, but also some setup time and back-to-back testing with the 2nd GT.

robbo1234biking

I had some Zees – had a warranty issue with them and ended up replacing them with SLX 4 pots.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m7120-front-and-rear-disc-brake-set-179616.html

I don’t think that there is much difference between them and the Zees.

weeksy

That’s breaking the budget a bit over the others though matey… There’s limits to what’s viable.

mashr

If he’s liking Sram theres every chance he won’t like Shimanos, pretty much the polar opposite to use

weeksy

If he’s liking Sram theres every chance he won’t like Shimanos, pretty much the polar opposite to use

He’s ridden my Trek a few times with SLXs on and seems happy with them, but of course there’s a difference between using in anger and riding the odd trails. At the moment, i’m not sure there’s much point worrying until at least tomorrow now… As i say, he’s out on the purple one tonight with the TRPs.

ocrider

Fwiw, Guide RE don’t have bleeding edge, which in my case meant buying Codes for my latest setup (not DH though)
    If he’s used to and likes how Sram brakes behave, I would not replace them with Shimano. But that just got a mention above and now it looks like I’m parroting other posts!

weeksy

If he’s used to and likes how Sram brakes behave, I would not replace them with Shimano. But that just got a mention above and now it looks like I’m parroting other posts!

That’s OK matey…. more input is always good.

weeksy

Thanks all, i’ve gone for some Ebay CodeRs. I was waiting on the STWer above who was going to get me pics and info last night, but this didn’t arrive so i’ve canned all other options and gone with the CodeR.

I do listen to you lot… honest 🙂

Tracey

At that price, assuming they are in good nick, with the rotors. I think its probably the right call.

We still aren’t 100% sure on the MT7s, not blown away with them as everybody else seems to be. Will feed back after the trip. They have had a good bleed. Bikes are loaded along with a spare set of Saints just in case.

On a better note after no movement on the waiting list for Abigale’s plate been removed we bit the bullet yesterday and will pay for it removing. Booked in for the 12th October which is the day after the return.

How’s the arm holding up

appltn

I think I’m too late but I have a set of Code RSC in the shed that could do with a lever rebuild to get some grit out of the contact adjuster but are otherwise sound, plus a new set of galfer green pads I don’t need. Give me a shout if you think you’d want them.

Edit, oh and a 200 and 180 centerline rotor too.

weeksy

sorry mate, already ordered/bought.

appltn

All good, I’m quite happy keeping them as spares. Glad you’re sorted.

weeksy

So the Purple Peril is booked in with RSR Bikeworks https://www.rsrbikeworks.co.uk/ for setup and telemetry. As you may recall, we had this done on the blue bouncer and the lad was very very happy with it. So it makes sense to get the gadgets on it for the new bike and sooner rather than later.

The best part is that we’ll know if the XFusion kit is both sprung correctly and then the settings and dials twiddled correctly in time for the Pearce and Stile Cop races. It will also mean that if we need to we can throw the Boxxers in the new frame if we find the XFusions are too stiff.

weeksy

This is how i feel like i ride…. but the reality…. Mmmmm

weeksy

So it’s race weekend once again after 11 weeks off with the broken bones.

This is the course. Nice and flowy, fast and ballsy. It’s an easy course but like all, hard to go stupid fast on.
    Obviously the lad is a bucket load quicker than me, but so are most people lol. But he’s generally a solid top 10 here and sometimes top 5-6. With his lack of bike time and strength this isn’t a biggy for him, but I’m still expecting a top 6-7.
    Spent an hour sorting both race bikes this morning so he’s good to go and race. All cleaned, bolt checked, lubed and ready.
    Just a question of getting out of bed and shooting over in the morning then a day of standing around for me and racing for him.

weeksy

Well it’s sunny if a little chilly to start.

The boy is off out for practice run on the blue bike

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nNLk8v]2022-09-25_08-53-31[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

2022-09-25_09-12-07

weeksy

Ohhhhh run 1.

2022-09-25_12-48-01

Got to be happy first time back

weeksy

Short version, boom! 3rd place

2022-09-25_05-45-36

Tracey

Great result. 👍

nickc

Fabulous!! Congrats to the boy . You must be dead proud of him!

weeksy

I am mate, yes. I must admit I act all bravado like at the time as though it doesn’t affect me, but inside I’m fighting the tears back. He went into this weekend feeling a bit negative as his jumping has been off after the long layoff.

His best time in April was a 1.45.7

Today he set a time of 1.39.9

He’s quite insightful as a rider and thinks lots about things, his lines, body position etc. When I came back with the result of run 1 and said “4th, 1.40” he says “silly daddy” in reply. Until I showed his the sheet. He was properly made up.

We the talked about 1 particular corner and a potential short cut, which gives a great line into the next, if you can schralp it tight enough that is.
    So he gets permission to ride the corner at lunch and instead of taking the corner like that, he picks up the back end and flicks it out while on the brakes in a 15mph corner, this gives him a sweet line into the next.
    That was potentially the difference between 4th and 3rd.

The good/bad part is, they don’t announce the times after race 2, you wait for your name to be called and see if it is or isn’t. Happily his was.

He went into the weekend with “top 10” in mind, I’m obviously a little biased and felt 6-7th, so a 3rd place is a massive bonus.

He was on the purple bike for the day, having tried both in practice and felt it was arguably a little less stable, but faster.
    Tues evening we’re getting the suspension set up so maybe it’ll even improve from there.

Next weekend is Pearce at Hopton. A big step up in tech and competition of riders. But tonight, it’s a beer for me and a happy boy lying on his bed.

I also love his innocence, he’s not messaged most of his mates yet as he doesn’t want them to think he’s bragging, just shrugs and accepts it.

stumpy01

Great result! Well done!!!

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nP5v19]2022-09-26_07-58-31[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

jam-bo

Pretty tight times. Chaz has just announced the gawton winter series dates on facebook.

weeksy

oh sweet… thanks for that mate… Going to be an expensive day then i think !!!

He likes a bit of that. I’ll check British Cycling and see if the times are up.

Yeah he wasn’t far off… i think with a bit of fitness back in the legs he’d have pushed on a bit more, but it’s a tough course to go crazy fast on as a couple of pedally sections you need to get the power down and with 10 weeks off he didn’t quite have it… Although you could have fooled me as he looked like he was giving it the beans !

weeksy

2022-09-26_04-15-21

Oh joy, more race ha ha

weeksy

So the Peril was setup by the WC Factory mechanic today… i don’t have the spreadsheet yet but there were quite a few changes made both ends and all settings, the boy is really happy with how it’s feeling and getting all giddy about the weekend now. 🙂

Rich at RSR Bikeworks was properly nice to chat with and really helpful in terms of advice, info and at the end of the conversation he didn’t seem happy with our choices for race rubber in the potentially wet Hopton this weekend, so gave us some rubber from a well known factory rider and junior world cup champion 😀 used for 1 days testing and now will be fitted to the purple peril this weekend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nPq6ad]2022-09-27_07-46-37[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nPxZUW]2022-09-28_09-21-34[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

New rubber fitted, bike cleaned, lubed, checked, sorted… All ready to go for the weekend.

The new tyres were a little bit on the snug side for fitting i must say. But they seat nice and seem very stiff on the sidewalls, so we may be able to drop a psi or 2…. We’ll do some testing in practice on Sat morning.

weeksy

2022-09-28_02-19-03

Attack mode

desperatebicycle

New rubber fitted, bike cleaned, lubed, checked, sorted… All ready to go for the weekend.

The boy’s done well… oh, you mean, it was Dad.. (Yeah, same here!) 😆

towpathman

Great pic

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.