• This topic has 2,482 replies, 164 voices, and was last updated 3 hours ago by weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,483 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • steveh

@weeksy I’ve use Brian’s place (it’s not actually him doing the work any more) a number of times for broken collar bones with good results. Magnets and lasers that sound like witchcraft but make a lot of sense to me when they explained the theories and I’m convinced it helps things.

weeksy

Yeah i used him, but nearly 20 years back it was… along with 13-14 years ago, both when racing Ducatis and crashing lots… I was happy with the results, hence getting the big boys (girls) wallet out and paying him.

robbo1234biking

Hope he recovers well.

A bit of zwift racing to help with fitness whilst he is out?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

That’s the plan Robbo…. his first Zwift is due today/tomorrow.

He’d also just bought some weights to do lifting… but obviously they were not used lol.

ayjaydoubleyou

STWraceleague… How big will his handicap be? Assuming he is wearing armour in most of the photos he must be 50kg max.

singlespeedstu

I’ve use Brian’s place (it’s not actually him doing the work any more) a number of times for broken collar bones with good results.

Glad it did something for you but I had three sessions in a row and it didn’t even slightly help.
    Was Brians wife that did mine.
    Laser and electro treatments.

weeksy

STWraceleague… How big will his handicap be? Assuming he is wearing armour in most of the photos he must be 50kg max

Dead on 50kg but he’s only fast outside, he give up way easily indoors.

On hills outside even like Wall at Afan he oitclimbs me when in the right headset and riding with a mate. But I’ve never seen that replicated inddor.

weeksy

Well there’s just 6 days left now until the plaster comes off completely. He’s now got a below the elbow version on as of last week, which has given more movement. Strength is open to debate and with a bit of a time constraint in his head for doing a days riding at Les Gets in just over 2 weeks time, well, lets just say i’m not fully optimistic. However, now we have the van, it doesn’t matter if we take the bike 😀

We’ve swapped some of the racing about and cancelled the first of the Pearce series events we had and replaced it with a 417 Flyup race… He didn’t really fancy his first one back being at such a tough track and completely unknown, so in a race move of being sensible, we decided to shoot to 417 instead.

That of course is where the sanity ends.
    A couple of day ago i pulled out the Specialized Status off the rafters to give it a quick once over… the as per the other thread i noticed the brake issues, which i’ve now sorted. But as i was sticking the order in for the new brakes i was met with “he doesn’t even use the bloody thing” from Mrs Weeksy.

And the statement would have been pretty much true and hard to argue against.. I think i’ve ridden the bike more than him in truth. Even that though is only 3 times.

I chatted with the lad about the Status who informed me, if we went to National DH tracks he wouldn’t actually ride the Spare bike even if bike A was broken…. He didn’t say it in a nasty way, but more in a ‘don’t think i’d actually manage to get down on it’ and if it was down, it would be so slow it wouldn’t trouble a timekeeper.

So as always, the cogs in the brain start grinding away and i’ve hopefully sorted a deal on this. Just waiting for the guy to get back from Holidays

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nDQLFn]p6pb23127189[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Which is a 2020/21 GT Fury expert. Carbon version of what he has, with a few variations. Size is the same (which is my only concern as to whether we’ll need to replace 2 bikes in a years time instead of just 1 hard to sell DH bike).. But it ticks all the boxes as a replacement bike for days, or even potentially the primary bike.

julians
    Free Member

the tyres are on backwards …..

jam-bo

when does the van get chopped in for a full on race wagon…

Yak

Awesome. If that fits you as well then you are sorted for uplift days too.

Saves you buying a DH bike for yourself + with the sale of the status means it’s n(potential) – 1.

weeksy

IT’s a trade with the Status so works in that sense.

I can/could ride either of them for sure in terms of sizing, but it gets more complex in terms of bouncy bits as both are coil… I could ride them a lot easier if they were air, or he was double his weight lol.
    Changing the spring in the rear of them is obviously a simple and quick job if we were to do an uplift… but the front is a bit harder work of course.

when does the van get chopped in for a full on race wagon…

In my perception that’s what it already is… i can’t afford a race transporter with bedrooms, kitchens etc and i don’t have the road-space to store one either… The Vito fits the trail/site van perfectly i think.

matt_outandabout

New riding kit needed – that is a different colour. 😜

weeksy

LOL there is that yes… but currently i don’t know which bike will be the primary race bike and which the secondary.

We’ve made friends with the GT Factory mechanic who is fairly local to us when he’s not away at WC races, so i’ll be chatting to him regarding the newer high pivot bike and which/what is better etc… Then we can potentially make some decisions on what we do from here.

All of this assumes of course the trade happens on Monday… but i’m struggling to see why it won’t currently.

mashr

He really doesn’t need a backup bike at this level. Spare wheels, mechs, etc yes but a complete spare bike is over doing it imo. Wouldn’t even expect most sponsored riders to have a full backup at most races

weeksy

He really doesn’t need a backup bike at this level. Spare wheels, mechs, etc yes but a complete spare bike is over doing it imo. Wouldn’t even expect most sponsored riders to have a full backup at most races

Well, there’s little difference between a backup bike, mechs, chainsets, brakes, levers, shocks, forks, may as well just have them all attached to a bike ? i do hear that it’s excessive…. but it doesn’t really matter much either way, so therefore makes sense.

dc1988

I would assume it’s less about the spares and more that if one bike breaks you can just send him out on the spare until you’ve fixed the other one, much less time wasted which makes a difference if you only get limited practice on a new track.

weeksy

I would assume it’s less about the spares and more that if one bike breaks you can just send him out on the spare until you’ve fixed the other one, much less time wasted which makes a difference if you only get limited practice on a new track.

Of course mate yeah, that’s 100% the logic. If he has an issue with say his brakes, sure i can fix them, but while i’m spending, 10, 15, 30 mins fixing them he’s missing out on practice time that he could be learning the tracks.

From my side, we’ve already spent the money to buy the Status, so it’s not like there’s a downside of having the spare bike in any way.

mashr

You don’t need spare forks and shock either. Chainsets too. Wheels are handy as setup for mud. Brakes are great if you just do happen to have a spare set. There’s a serious lesson learned in ruining your weekend by not just being able to say “screw it I’ll have a go as I’ve got another bike sitting there anyway”

Just as long as you also have a bike setup on a turbo at the top too. Otherwise it’s all still half-arsed 😉

weeksy

Now that’s getting excessive.

But anyway, we’re falling into a minor issue of suspension springs.

I spoke to TFTuned about some fork springs for the X-Fusion RV1 front end who said “we don’t do them, try Upgrade Bikes”…

That went half-well…. I was able to get in touch with them and they provided me with a spring chart.
    THis shows the ‘stock’ spring is from 63kg rider weight up to 77kg. Currently my lad is 50kg… He’s 5’7 maybe even 5’8 now but he’s a skinny bugger, so weighs next to nothing. Upgrade bikes are unable to supply the ‘red/soft’ springs or have any idea where to get them.

It’s possible there’s a place in Italy can
    https://www.bikesuspension.com/catalog/ENG/articolo/1659-ricambi-vari-per-forcelle/fqiaoraizm-x-fusion-rv1-spring.html

But waiting for an answer from them on that…

If i can’t get any springs, it would potentially be a bit of a deal breaker.

mashr

Can you find the dimensions for the spring anywhere? There’s a chance something else could just drop straight in

weeksy

Can you find the dimensions for the spring anywhere? There’s a chance something else could just drop straight in

NOt yet mate, information is quite limited on it… Which is a slight concern in the context of “who’ll look after this if i do buy it”

I’ve sent out a few mails on it, the shock is fine, pretty much anything apart from Fox apparently fit according to my chat with JTech.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Hi weeksy. The recent issues your lads been having are my worst nightmare.

We sat down about 18mths ago and discussed scenarios of something similar happening to our daughter who is involved in her sport pretty seriously. We came to the conclusion that setting aside some of our budget for her to visit a sports physio on a regular basis was money well spent in the long run. It was expensive to begin with as it was every moneht at £50 a shot but it now tends to be if she has any niggles or before a big comp (She saw him last week before flying off next week to a World Cup).

The thinking was that she is now 18months down the line. She trusts him and knows how to work with him. BUT he also knows her and what she is capable of so IF something horrible happens he may be better placed to be able to sort any issues quickly. We also liked the idea that whilst she was growing and training, having someone who knows her would help us spot any issues before they actually become major issues.

Not sure if this is relevant but we spend so much time thinking about what will make them improve their performance we sometimes forget that investing in their health is just as important.

weeksy

Interesting food for thought that… something to consider for sure.

Sadly the broken arm was literally just ‘one of those things’ , he’ll fall over countless times playing football, rugby or just messing about in school like all kids, just this time, it all went really wrong.

But he’s also had a few crashes this season that have scuppered some results. The good thing is that this year has shown us a few things about how both of us see the next few years going in terms of riding and whilst getting to Nationals is within his ability… winning them… well that’s just fantasy. But we’re both OK with that, we’re in this for the adventures, the laughs, the riding and the improving… if anything comes from it in terms of results, it’s a bonus.

I know it looks potentially from the outside like we’re all super serious about this lot… but we are and we’re not… I like doing things ‘right’ and he likes riding bikes as much as i do… So we go all in… but that doesn’t mean we’re not enjoying it or we’re missing out on time with mates etc, we do all of that, just within the same game of riding bikes downhill.

weeksy

Well the bike swap didn’t work out for various reasons. So we’re currently still with the Status160 as the ‘spare’ bike. But it’s advertised on Pinkbike for ‘swap’ for a DH bike. In his ideal world he has a choice between a 2021+ Canyon Sender, a 2020+ Specialized Demo or a Santa Cruz V10.. Yeah tell me about it, lol.

We’ve now got until the 25th to get him back out and up to speed, we’re coming up to 8 weeks now since the break and doctors orders are still that we shouldn’t be doing any falling off on it yet, although we’re hoping that’s now negated by some of the treatment he had.

Over in Les Gets we had a few deep conversations over racing and he’s in a good place for it in his head and looking forward to getting back out playing 🙂

Hopefully today will be the first of many…. with a bit of Ridgeway riding..

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nHLPji]2022-08-31_03-58-50[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The boys are back in town 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don’t try to rush back from an injury, it rarely goes well.

weeksy

Don’t try to rush back from an injury, it rarely goes well.

It’s been 8 weeks since breaking… He’s not done anything at all in 8 weeks… it’s not been rushed in the slightest.

But i do completely agree with you yes..

Today was 30 mins of gentle Ridgeway.

razorrazoo

If anyone is interested in a piece of Weeksy DH history the bike on which it all started is going to go up for sale!!

weeksy

Ha ha ha. Epic !

weeksy

Bit of a change on the mullet… it’s been in/out/in/out/sold/swapped but somehow is still here. It nearly went last week for a Demo29 but the guy then messaged us on WhatsApp to say it’d been sold… which was a bit weird but i’m not losing any sleep on it.

In my book it should be staying long terms so he can have a non-DH bike as well as the race toy. You don’t see the Pros on their DH every day every ride, so in order to give the boy some more chances on it, i fitted a different shock, i took the one that was the spare from the Trek and chucked it in for testing… It was a little better for him, but it was only i think about a 140 travel on the 160 frame he’d end up with. So whilst it was OK for a test, it wasn’t really an answer as such longer term.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nJZhfB]s-l1600 (9)[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

So this is incoming, along with a spring for the lad and a spring for myself. We both love the coils and on the G170 the Bomber CR was great… so why not give it a go on the Status… I’ll report back 🙂

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nKaVAJ]2022-09-07_11-14-30[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nKbA9w]2022-09-07_11-14-20[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

joebristol

Looks interesting and seems more useful to have than another DH bike. Does the marzocchi shock have a thicker diameter shaft than the Fox dhx2?

Just on the Ripmo which has a similar yoke driven shock they recommended to run something like a DVO with 14mm shaft.

weeksy

Does the marzocchi shock have a thicker diameter shaft than the Fox dhx2?

Sorry mate, i have absolutely no idea i’m afraid.

I’ve been testing it this lunchtime in the close with the 550 spring which is for me… It feels absolutely ace. I’ve got him a 400.. but it may be a smidgen firm (according to TFT spring calc it should be 403), or maybe my 550 will be too soft for me… Dunno yet.

I’ve got a grown ups day on the 23rd Sept and i’m certainly thinking i’ll be taking this for the day. My only concern is giving it a bit of a test first as we’ve had a few brake issues with the Codes. I don’t want to head to BPW and have issues on a day.

johnjn2000

the tyres are on backwards …..

All the other stuff is great and everything but I can’t move past this. Were they on the wrong way?

weeksy

Were they on the wrong way?

NO idea, the deal fell through.

johnjn2000

NO idea, the deal fell through

We will never know, how unsatisfactory. Good to see the boy back on a bike, I am seeing his coach on Friday to see if I can capture some of his speed 🙂

weeksy

I am seeing his coach on Friday to see if I can capture some of his speed

Awesome, tell her we said Hi please. We’re currently waiting for him to get some strength and training back before a winter of some coaching.

Upcoming events we’ve got planned are
    25th Sept 417 (we were supposed to be at Pearce but felt we didn’t want his first race back as a super tough one)
    2nd Oct, Pearce Hopton Woods.
    16th Oct MIJ at FoD
    27th Nov at 417.

Apart from one race which is at Farmer Johns, it’s not like we can enter any more, there’s none in the British Cycling calendar to book. So we’re going to spend the rest of winter trying different things out like Dyfi bike Park, Revs, BMCC (or whatever it is now) and just enjoying the riding. But still getting out most weekends. My plan (not necessarily his) is to spend more time in Surrey Hills, FoD off piste, on the Status/Fuel, just to give us more time on the bike, but with a bit less cost instead of just uplift days.

Today if the rain holds off, we’re off out after school for a proper trails ride.

joebristol

I’m uplifting in the 17th September at Cwmcarn – never used the uplift there before. I plan to do a few runs of the official downhill then use it to uplift the Risca off piste. Got a 2.2 mile road ride round from the bottom of the off piste to the uplift start so think I’ll get in every other uplift. Hopefully it’ll work ok!

I’ll let you know how it goes as it could be a good way to practice some steep ish tech.

johnjn2000

@weeksy, have you spotted the race on Friday 23rd Sept at FoD? Work and school might get in the way I guess. I am giving it a go along with SE at Milland on 25th.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,483 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.