Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 2,482 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hooray. Awesome 🙂

weeksy

Practice run 2 on Sat.

weeksy

Cleaned lubed and sorted after the weekend.

Need to fit the other rear wheel and tyre for the coming weekend at MIJ but that won’t be too tricky.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nrFWrQ]2022-06-13_08-47-33[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Also need to decide if i tubless the tan-walls. I’ve not actually checked yet if the wheels are compatible, but i’d assume so… i didn’t actually know they were tubed until i removed one of the DHRs yesterday to fit the Shorty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nrVVmW]randr-photo-7970901-6000px[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Not his favourite pic from the weekend, but i really like it.

weeksy

Fame at 1.45 in!

weeksy

SAdly, as expected we both missed the MIJ race yesterday… I could have of course gone on my own, but that’s not what it’s about for me, so i didn’t bother.

Still not convinced the lad will be going to school today… but he’s on the way to getting better and out of whatever affected him.

Anyway… We were looking at this.
    Schwalbe Tyres Downhill
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/252229/Schwalbe-Tyres-Downhill

Seems to be part of the Malvern Classics… I’ve seen that mentioned on forums before, but don’t know a lot about it. As the race is organised by Si Paton, i expect it to be both a good course and well organised. But it does stack up in terms of cost as i need an entry pass to the festival too, along with him on top of his race entry and a pretty expensive parking pass. So for what is a £30 race, it’s up over £100 in entry.
    I’m sure there’s more there than just the racing, but not convinced there is for us.

We’re still working out where and when we’re racing for the rest of 2022. We’re thinking the 3 rounds of the Woodland Riders series will be good, down in Gawton on the border of Cornwall, but it’s a fun little place to ride, so i reckon we’ll do them.
    We’ve missed out on the national at Revolution as it was full 2 days before we did the Pearce, so that’s now a no no.

So i think it’ll be both Pearce rounds 4 and 5 at Bucknell and Hopton, which both should be ace… but obviously as often the case, we’re going in blind as we’ve not seen any of these places. It would be nice one day to race a course we know and like lol.

We’ve got a Southern Enduro open day in a couple of weeks, which will decide for us whether we do the Milland race with them… i quite fancy it and i’m sure i can persuade the lad to play.

mark88

Why not do an uplift day instead of the Malverns?

weeksy

Why not do an uplift day instead of the Malverns?

DO you mean a race or just a day out ? We did discuss BPW for the weekend of the 9th July, or tbh pretty much anywhere he/we fancies. There’s quite a few places we’ve not visited yet.

Edit… just booked BPW for 9th July afternoon session if anyone out there reading this wants some company.

mark88

DO you mean a race or just a day out ? We did discuss BPW for the weekend of the 9th July, or tbh pretty much anywhere he/we fancies. There’s quite a few places we’ve not visited yet.

A day out – it’s been touched upon multiple times before, but if he wants to be racing the proper DH venues, he needs some time practising on similar terrain.

A day at Revs would be far more beneficial (and probably enjoyable) than more racing on straightforward tracks.

weeksy

:thumbsup smiley thing 🙂

I’m not sure Revs is within my limits ? Hard for you/others to know… but i’m not seeing anything blue like 😀

A day out – it’s been touched upon multiple times before, but if he wants to be racing the proper DH venues, he needs some time practising on similar terrain.

We’re doing our best fella… every weekend these days we’re ‘somewhere’ …. next trip is Rogate on 2nd, then 9th at BPW, then the 17th is racing at FoD, then we’re off to Morzine… Once back from there, we can then plan where to practice.

tomhoward

The Malverns course is very much an old school (mid 90’s)UK DH course. Essentially pedalling down a field, with a few jumps.

Have a go if you are going to be there anyway (I am) but I wouldn’t make the trip especially. Less so if you are looking to build experience of modern DH tracks.

weeksy

The Malverns course is very much an old school (mid 90’s)UK DH course. Essentially pedalling down a field, with a few jumps.

Have a go if you are going to be there anyway (I am) but I wouldn’t make the trip especially. Less so if you are looking to build experience of modern DH tracks

Thanks Tom…. we’re a no then really. We’ll head somewhere more in-line with the day to day racing then…. Much appreciated.

Stevet1
    Free Member

The Malverns course is very much an old school (mid 90’s)UK DH course
    A cutting edge DH bike and rider at the malverns yesterday

10 pts for guessing the rider?

tomhoward

Warners biek iz sarcin!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Correct! About 5 seconds later he dropped his shorts and mooned us.

mark88

We’re doing our best fella… every weekend these days we’re ‘somewhere’ ….

You were talking abut going to Malverns…

Unless they are particularly convenient, i would be looking to ride a DH venue rather than Rogate or BPW.

I’m not sure Revs is within my limits ? Hard for you/others to know… but i’m not seeing anything blue like

Freeride is an easy red. There’s other threads on here about Dyfi. There’s always options.

weeksy

Unless they are particularly convenient, i would be looking to ride a DH venue rather than Rogate or BPW

They are, Rogate is a birthday party with 6 mates, bpw means no hotel and ties in easily for family stuff too

Revs is 3.5hours each way on a decent day, weekend can easily run 4+. Last weekend was 1/2 mile from Revs, took us 4hr 30. Rogate is an hour, bpw is sub 2. He can get tech at both, fun at both too.

Dyfi was fully booked for Saturday anyway.

weeksy

We’ve been having a few issues with his rear wheel. It’s a loose bearing Shimano Saint hub and when it was on the bike recently i noticed a wobble in the cassette. The other day i noticed a LOT of wobble on it… it was all over the place and barely stayed in gear. It’s recently been tweaked as well as possible by the LBS and we can’t have that happening, so a Hope Pro 150 DH with Fortus rim has been bought and will be installed today 🙂

We were also discussing last night whether there’s any point in taking the Status to DH races and the answer seems to be ‘not really’ .. Unless it was something like 417 he tells me he’d really arguably not ride it at a proper DH venue, so it’ll likely be left at home a lot of the time now, which helps with logistics, hotels, storage on race days etc…

He’s a bit tired this week so won’t be doing much until the weekend, but i may get him out tomorrow jumping in Goring 🙂

weeksy

riklegge

Looking rapid!

weeksy

Thanks Rick. I did say “that’s why I can’t bloody keep you in sight”

RichBowman

Blimey – he looks so smooth and like he’s carrying speed so easily!

Good lad!

weeksy

Entries are starting to get going again now after a little bit of a quiet period. We’re still trying to stay away from just before we head to Morzine though.

17th July, FoD for MIJ race
    25th Sept, PEarce
    2nd Oct, Pearce
    16th Oct, MIJ
    27th Nov, 417

There’s a maybe on 27th Aug at Caersws, but the Gravity Events series has been quite poorly supported in terms of riders this year and it’s only a ‘mini’ DH race. This means it’s both an easier course with small people in the races and non-uplifted.
    WE’re then waiting for the Woodland Riders series to be released, which will mean a few trips down to Cornwall at Gawton which he really enjoys.

We’re still debating the 13th Aug, Nationals at Caersws but it’s the wifes birthday and only 2 days after we get back from Morzine, so may not be our brightest idea.

weeksy

Noticed a little tiny bit of play in his cranks the other day… surprised i’ve not noticed before.

On Raceface cranks you get these little elastomer spacers
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-x-type-chainline-spacer/rp-prod29489?gs=1&sku=sku107178&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtvqVBhCVARIsAFUxcRsi8kIpR_pisvYoYDmh0EDdDDln8IX38QC4Ex5u6eSZ9qkqe6-KycUaAjvZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I noticed when looking that his was a little bike low on the stack, so whipped one off the Zwift bike and fitted to the DH bike…. It now has no play at all and we’re ready for tomorrow.

May pick up a 110*20 Hope front in silver to match his new rear and make it all pretty.

Tomorrow is Rogate for his Birthday party… i’m not sure who’s looking forward to it most, me or him 😀

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Edit… just booked BPW for 9th July afternoon session if anyone out there reading this wants some company.

I’ll be there with my lad but in the am session, we might cross paths. We’re going to BMCC on Sunday too.

weeksy

weeksy

@spaniardclimber, do say hello if you see us matey.

Blue Trek fuel and a blue GT Fury DH…. I expect we’ll be having coffee/lunch as you’re finishing 🙂

weeksy

Well that’s a good chunk of the year spannered.

The lad pringled his arm in school. Both bones in the forearm split in 2… Now back together and hopefully healing, but they were at VERY wonky angles that’s for sure.

BPW canned, MIJ canned, Pearce canned and finally, Morzine… yup, canned.

Yak

Ah, gutted for the lad. Hope he heals up well and quickly.

Yak

Sympathies weeksy. Been there before. My daughter’s elbow got fractured and dislocated 2 days before the summer holidays. All 6 weeks of the holidays in a cast then 3 months of physio. Still got some good hillwalking done instead of biking.

Tracey

Oh no. That’s not good. It’s a massive setback both for him and you. Keep us up to speed on how it progresses.
    We are still on the waiting list for Abigales plate out.

anderzz
    Free Member

Ouch nasty break. How did he manage that?

weeksy

Fell over doing PE at school.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Does this kid consent to his life being documented on an open and viewable forum?

Or does he even know?

weeksy

Does this kid consent to his life being documented on an open and viewable forum?

Or does he even know?

Sure, he’s a kid of social media like the youth of today. He’s aware of it yes and posts/reads it on my forum.

I find your comment a little bizarre in honesty but that’s just me.

tomhoward

Might be an idea to take down his full name, DOB and NHS number though?

weeksy

Fair call.

jimmy748

GWS James, and remember Bones mend, Press send.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Aw, shame, speedy recovery to young Weeksy.
    Does stuff like that DMR line, that I’d never attempt, makes it look so simple… then wrecks his arm doing PE at school! Must be gutted

weeksy

The lad is taking it reasonably well…

We’ve thrown in a curve ball plan which is later next month we’re heading to Les Gets for 5 days to watch the DH World Champs. It’s DH and XCO/XCM as well so should be brilliant. We’re staying just outside Les Gets, 10 mins stroll into town.

With regards to his injury, the Docs did an AMAZING job and doesn’t need any surgery. We are off tomorrow to see Brian Simpson, he’s the bone guy down in Ipswich who does funny things with magnets and weird machines to repair bones. It’s not cheap but hopefully it’ll speed up the process a bit.

The good news is that he’s still excited about racing and looking forward to Pearce in Sept. It’ll be a slow and long process getting back on the bike and riding again after, but we’ve got a plan and a process to get him out again. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 2,482 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.