Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Income tax/takehome pay question.
  • mattbee

The personal allowance for Income Tax increases this month. If your pay is within the lower earning (20%) threshold am I right in assuming that the increased allowance should be seen by the employee as a decrease in income tax paid (even if rather small) therefore an increase in monthly takehome pay, or doesn’t it work like that?
    If it should be seen in monthly pay how can you make sure your employer does pass it on to you?

allthepies
    Free Member

You will see it as a decrease in tax paid (you don’t need to be within the 20% bracket to see this as it applies to everyone).

cynic-al
    Free Member

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Increase of £1345 meaning everyone (under 65) should get £269 pa more – £26 odd per month. I think.

Unless you work for an utter shyster, you will get this, if not, shop them to HMRC.

Drac

A rough calculation, doesn’t take into account my pension, I’m £19 a month better off.

God Bless the Conservatives.

Drac

Take away the increase in my pension contributions I’m a few pounds worse off.

**** you Conservatives.

gonefishin
    Free Member

If your pay is within the lower earning (20%) threshold am I right in assuming that the increased allowance should be seen by the employee as a decrease in income tax paid (even if rather small) therefore an increase in monthly takehome pay, or doesn’t it work like that?

That’s how it works yes.

If it should be seen in monthly pay how can you make sure your employer does pass it on to you?

Check that the tax code on your payslip is what it should be. HMRC will have sent you a letter to tell you what it is.

allthepies
    Free Member

Potty mouth 😉

mattbee

Ok. Thanks for the info guys. Just wanted to be sure. I get paid monthly in arrears, can be hard to keep track of what I should be taking home due to monthly bonus structure.
    I work for a very small company (boss & his wife plus me and one other) for which the boss’s wife does all the admin. I asked her what effect the change would have on my pay and she didn’t seem sure herself. Will await my next payslip to see what happens..

br
    Free Member

I work for a very small company (boss & his wife plus me and one other) for which the boss’s wife does all the admin. I asked her what effect the change would have on my pay and she didn’t seem sure herself. Will await my next payslip to see what happens..

She wouldn’t really know anymore than, and unless your tax code changes they’ll be no difference.

maccruiskeen

I only half caught the story on the radio last week – but I think employers should now be reporting PAYE to the HMRC monthly from this month (rather than yearly) with the point being there should be fewer instances of employees accruing large under or overpayments across the year through tax code errors.

lilchris
    Free Member

All you who’ve done your calculations, have you included your NIC bonus aswell??

Basic rate payers get an extra £3/wk. £156@12% => £1.56 a week.

In response to OP, your take home will increase, unless your employer reduces your gross pay, or they’ve always been shit at running payroll!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking his tax code on his payslip will increase too?

lilchris
    Free Member

Yup. Most will have 944 (was 810), unless they’ve got other income/ benefits inkind/ owe or are owed tax etc

nickjb
    Free Member

Is there a tick box or option where we can send this extra money back to the government? We are all in this together, you know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Income tax/takehome pay question.’ is closed to new replies.