Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Income stream like AirBnB but not AirBnB
  • alwillis

We used to live in a 2 bed flat close to a mainline train station and put the spare room on Air Bnb. It worked really well; we could simply block out days we didn’t want guests to book, or leave it open if we didn’t mind.

We now live in a small village in a larger house, but aren’t keen on sharing it with others (neither are our two cats). I was wondering if there was anything similar to Air Bnb in terms of a bit of extra income, but without letting out our space?

I know of one local gent who has purchased large quantities of small items from China though alibaba, and sells them on eBay, but seems like a lot of financial risk if the stuff doesn’t sell!

rene59
    Free Member

You could rent another place and then let that out on AirBnB. Seems to be the way people are going with it now to make money. Need the required permissions etc from the landlord, but there are some good arguments to help you get these.

andyrm
    Free Member

Yup, as Rene says, rent to rent is a good bet.

Look up Tom Heaney on FB as he has loads of free resources how to do this. He started his property business doing this and now has a portfolio worth millions – he used to be a teacher. Bloody nice chap and a MTBer too 💪

FuzzyWuzzy

Grow weed? (not seriously – but then you want an income from a property but don’t want anyone to use it? I’d say your options are very very limited…)

tomhoward

Proper buy to let?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Air B&J – the new way to enjoy a brothel?

Drac

Juice Plus.

andyrm
    Free Member

Proper buy to let?

Much harder to make it commercially viable now due to tax changes meaning mortgage interest can’t be offset, as well as rising prices relative to rental yields.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Air S&M ?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Storage?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Espicially if you are near a university, over the summer would be good for many students but you have missed this year. Would probably have to pick up boxes etc from them so some work

chrismac

You also need to check the lease clauses. Recent case law has made it much harder to legally use leased property for this. Most leases have a clause about the property being used as a home and case law has determined that using a leased property for this purpose is not compliant with that clause.

koldun
    Free Member

You could rent another place and then let that out on AirBnB. Seems to be the way people are going with it now to make money.

It’s pretty despicable on the whole though. Ok, i live in a city with massive tourist issues, so the situation is (probably) different but it artificially inflates rent prices and removes homes that people could actually live in.

sandwicheater

aren’t keen on sharing it

Get over this and rent your spare room. You coped with it in the flat, i’m sure it will be just as easy.

EDIT: Oh, and get a dog, it will support you in what ever decision you make. Not like those shitty cats holding you back.

nickhit3
    Free Member

EDIT: Oh, and get a dog, it will support you in what ever decision you make. Not like those shitty cats holding you back.

im a cat person, but i endorse this message.

Alphabet

Start a gaming vlog from your spare bedroom. Once you get up to a few million subscribers then the advertising money should start flowing in.

andybrad

so you want an income stream. what (seeing as you dont rent a room) do you have? time, money?

PrinceJohn

Get over this and rent your spare room. You coped with it in the flat, i’m sure it will be just as easy.

Myself & my partner have just slightly downsized, where we were living before there was a big spare room that was pretty private, into a 3 bed-roomed terraced house. We carried on with AirBnb as an experiment & to be honest it’s no issue at all for us.

bigjim

live stream your missus on the interwebs. Still morally superior to air bnb

chipps

Got a spare car (or a car you can spare sometimes)? You could rent that out through Turo.com

alwillis

Turo.com looks interesting, possibly the next Air Bnb??

leffeboy

Artisanal trousers made in another village?

peekay

I am considering Turo, but can’t find much UK specific information from people who have rented cars out.

Has anyone on here used it either as a renter or rentee?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Can you rent your driveway for parking or something?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Income stream like AirBnB but not AirBnB’ is closed to new replies.