Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)
  • Incident at the Airport – think I handled badly – what would you have done?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I just have a way of looking at things VERY objectively.

You seem to be under the impression that’s a good thing.
    If it makes you come out with the sort of shit you did earlier, then it’s really not.

Cougar

I don’t know if you don’t understand or are trying to take the p*ss. I don’t know how you could get there from what I said.

You said, and I quote, “They routinely ask people under the age of 30 if they have ever used cannabis. Even if you say no, the agent simply says he doesn’t believe you and refuses entry.” Presumably if they answer “yes” they will also be denied entry. That’s all under 30s, unless there’s a third answer to a yes / no question that I’m overlooking.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

conduct warrantless border searches to protect national security, prevent transnational crime and enforce immigration and customs laws.”. It’s not about catching a nonce in a departure lounge.

Travelling across a border, or attempting to, with ‘indecent’* images would be a violation of customs laws and transnational crime

*if an upskirt shot of a minor (I’m assuming she was) meets the definition of indecent in that country (and I really hope it does)

However, I don’t deny that some of them act like dicks but what you are describing is a Government Official abusing his power, not acting within it, with people who know that the more they kick off the worse it will be.

You will certainly never win a debate with them. What they do and the frequency at which they do it makes me suspect that the organistion doesn’t believe it is abuse, but is merely vigilance. The US may not be the worst but they are probably top 1 of developed democracies. Apparently, they regularly have visibly pregnant women into secondary inspection because they believe they want to give birth in the US as a way to get Citizenship for the baby. Doing it deliberately is apparently not allowed. Not being able to pay the hospital bills should you give birth is apparently a reason to deny entry. If you ‘happen’ to give birth there and can pay for it is apparently fine!

What happens when these people are flying to Colorado? Does the no cannabis rule still apply? I can’t say I have ever been asked about my drug use when entering the US?

The Border is federal, so fed rules apply. Travelling to Colorado might be reason for denial of entry, due to drug suspicion, as is returning from a “known narco country”.
    Canada and Canadians are now on their hitlist it seems, because of the new drug laws.
    A women ended up with a lifetime ban because she admitted to using CBD oil and iirc having some on her that she forgot. CBD in some forms is legal in the country but not at the border. Go figure. She is appealing but good luck with that.

boblo
    Free Member

cromolyolly

How does that work? So no-one under the age of 30 is ever allowed into the US?

I don’t know if you don’t understand or are trying to take the p*ss.

In your example there were no conditions under which you’d be allowed entry. Logic init.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

You said, and I quote, “They routinely ask people under the age of 30 if they have ever used cannabis. Even if you say no, the agent simply says he doesn’t believe you and refuses entry.” Presumably if they answer “yes” they will also be denied entry. That’s all under 30s, unless there’s a third answer to a yes / no question that I’m overlooking.

Okay. So routinely doesn’t mean always.
    If you say yes, it is grounds to deny entry apparently. Whether the officer has the discretion to let you in anyway I don’t know. Maybe
    If you say no and they believe you, you are in.

So it’s only all under 30s (or 25s, 28s etc depending on how old you look etc and how good the agent is at judging age)
    IF they always ask, as opposed to routinely, if they all answer yes, or agents always disbelieve them, and they have no discretion.

boblo
    Free Member

Cromolyolly pedalling backwards, make way 😂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

boblo, we just understand words and logic differently. Like how routinely means regularly or customarily, not always without exception, or how conditional logic works.

Here is what I do know from observation – if you are approximately under 30 and are wearing any clothing or jewelry with a representation of a marijuana leaf on it, your chances of getting in are vanishingly small. If you are wearing business or business casual attire, you will probably be okay.

Cougar

Okay. So routinely doesn’t mean always.

Fair enough.

we just understand words and logic differently.

The thing with logic is that it’s rather kind of absolute. You cannot “understand logic differently,” rather you can either understand it or not understand it.

if you are approximately under 30 and are wearing any clothing or jewelry with a representation of a marijuana leaf on it, your chances of getting in are vanishingly small.

Makes sense. You’ve gone from a criterion of “being young” to one of “showing signs of drug interest / paraphernalia” though, it perhaps would’ve been helpful if you’d said that in the first place. How many of these people have you observed out of interest?

Perhaps they were carrying chemicals? (-:

boblo
    Free Member

Well I think this is getting a bit ageist.

I’m over 30 (just), have a tattoo of a marajawana leaf on my wrist and I’ve never been denied entry to the USA. I’ve never been there mind, does that affect my chances?

brownsauce
    Free Member

Just last week flew into miami with a kilo of coke down my pants , thanks to my pinstrip suit , bowler hat & cut-glass english accent.

it was the perfect ruse , immigration busied themselves with surfer type dudes……

flown into USA loads of times , never encountered anything remotely approaching what chromo states.

brownsauce
    Free Member

As per the OP.

He identified immoral behaviour by someone , and through basic human decency tried to do something about it , and that makes you a good guy regardless of the outcome so dont beat youself up with hindsight.

gobuchul
    Free Member

and how good the agent is at judging age

I know some American Border Officials can be a bit dim but I’m pretty certain the ability to read is prerequisite for the job.

Why do they care about age? I’m 50. I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. (Sort of). Why would they not ask me about cannabis use? The only questions I get asked, is if I am on business and what my job is.

I have travelled to the US a lot, I have never heard of anything about surfer dudes all getting knocked back at the Border.

boblo
    Free Member

I have travelled to the US a lot, I have never heard of anything about surfer dudes all getting knocked back at the Border.

I heard that’s the subject of Trumpy’s latest tirade. Surfer dude druggies are the second biggest group (after Mexicans) causing aggro at the borders. They’re building internment camps to put them in presumably en route to Guantanamo…

TiRed

Been to the US a lot for work (over 50 times). Never been asked about drugs, except the one occasion when I was asked if I had any samples. I work for a Pharmaceutical company in R&D.

oldtennisshoes

The thing with logic is that it’s rather kind of absolute.

But not always the same for everyone.

perchypanther
    Free Member

But not always the same for everyone.

ayjaydoubleyou

Surfer dude druggies are the second biggest group (after Mexicans) causing aggro at the borders. They’re building internment camps to put them in presumably en route to Guantanamo…

Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounds like a great idea when you’re too stoned to remember what either of those things is.

oldtennisshoes

bb – I’m thinking of Behavioural Economics – Dan Ariely, Richard Thaler etc.

Logically, none of us should be overweight and we should all be saving enough for retirement..

Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Incident at the Airport – think I handled badly – what would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.