Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 178 total)
  • Incident at the Airport – think I handled badly – what would you have done?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

They could access the device contents if they wanted to, they have that power available to them in those circumstances if they choose to use it.

Wether they would or not is anyone’s guess. But if the officer involved had a young teen daughter it may improve the odds.

gobuchul
    Free Member

They could access the device contents if they wanted to, they have that power available to them in those circumstances if they choose to use it.

I disagree.

But if the officer involved had a young teen daughter it may improve the odds.

I hope not. I would prefer if the Police applied the law correctly and evenly, not down to their personal prejudices.

nealglover
    Free Member

I disagree

I’m not shocked.

..I would prefer if the Police applied the law correctly and evenly, not down to their personal prejudices.

Me too. But I’ve lived in the real world for some time now, and have got used to how it actually works.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@gobuchul, can you explain why you posted the picture at the end of page 3? Just interested as to what relevance to this discussion it has for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Took a picture over his shoulder that clearly showed what he was doing and that it was him.

Then taken a photo of him so that he knew you had that clearly showed it was the same guy in the photo.

If you’d just taken a photo of him at least he’d still be shitting it to this day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ed you are a world class bellend.

Nah I think he has undiagnosed Asperger’s syndrome and is trying to work through the details of the law whilst being oblivious to how he comes across.

gobuchul
    Free Member

@gobuchul, can you explain why you posted the picture at the end of page 3? Just interested as to what relevance to this discussion it has for you.

It was mainly a response to nealglover and cromolyolly who were suggesting that airport security would have the legal right to take someone’s phone and search it on a single allegation from a member of the public. Also there was a few suggestions of grabbing the phone off him, which in all honesty is a pretty ridiculous suggestion.

Not saying that you didn’t see what you saw and the bloke wasn’t a sad pervert but I don’t expect that authorities in a democracy should have the right to behave like that. Also, as you discovered, you were pretty much helpless to do much to stop his behaviour. Just another compromise of living in a liberal democracy.

taxi25
    Free Member

Having had time to think about it I probably wouldn’t have told the family. Even if photographs were being taken, (not someone just being bored at airport and doing some
    spur of the moment perving) they wouldn’t have been salacious, and it’s highly unlikely that they’d be so widly circulated as to cause concern to the girl or her family.
    I agree the distress would be caused by “knowing”.
    I’d have probably let the perp know with a stern look and some finger wagging. Not exactly saving the world but enough to put a stop to what was happening.

On another note it’s a shame Edukator has been treated poorly by some forum members. He at no point condoned or supported the perp’s activities. In my view he just tried to give some insight into French law and legal culture. Something I found interesting and informative.

nealglover
    Free Member

It was mainly a response to nealglover and cromolyolly who were suggesting that airport security would have the legal right to take someone’s phone and search it .

Yeah, that’s not what I said.
    But do go on.

which in all honesty is a pretty ridiculous suggestion.

Which is why I didn’t suggest it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

not someone just being bored at airport and doing some
    spur of the moment perving

Indeed, I mean who doesn’t indulge in a bit of last minute perving by taking close-up pictures of a young teen girl’s skirt (although I’m betting he wasn’t just checking the stitching on her hemline) when bored at an airport. We’ve all been there. Nothing “salacious” at all about that.

And his analogy regarding not telling someone not bothered by noise to complain about it was crass. He used the thread to take the high ground regarding legal definitions and at no time attempted to answer the question in the OP.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It was mainly a response to nealglover and cromolyolly who were suggesting that airport security would have the legal right to take someone’s phone and search it .

Yeah, that’s not what I said.
    But do go on.

hey could access the device contents if they wanted to, they have that power available to them in those circumstances if they choose to use it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wouldn’t have been salacious, and it’s highly unlikely that they’d be so widly circulated as to cause concern to the girl or her family.

Wow.

nealglover
    Free Member

I said that the police have powers to search devices if the person is suspected of having indecent images of children etc.
    Not Airport security, and not just any person they fancy picking on.

Which was evidenced in a link you posted and that I copied.
    You know this of course, because you can read.

So What exactly is your point, or are you just trying to be a bit of a dick ?

taxi25
    Free Member

Wow

Indeed Wow. Explain to me “how likely” it is that photographs, (if some were taken) off an an anonymous girls high hemline whilst sat in a foreign airport by a complete stranger, do actually come to light and cause distress ? I’d say it’s they very definition of “unlikely”. So you balance that against the “very likely” distress caused by telling them. You then make a judgment call about what to do. But you don’t because you do what you think is right in the spur of the moment, which is what the Op did and thats all anyone can do.

martinhutch

<Checks dictionary definition of ‘salacious’>

Nope, hasn’t changed recently. Still seems to be the perfect descripton of a zoomed-in image of a teenage girl’s crotch taken covertly in an airport waiting area.

Cougar

Would airport security have powers to go through his phone? Debatable it seems but probably not.

Would airport security exercise those powers, if they have them, on the basis of say-so from a member of the public? Highly unlikely, rendering the first question moot.

Would airport security exercise those powers, if they have them, if the OP had taken a photo of said perpetrator in the act? Perhaps.

Would airport security have the ability to make him have a very bad day in an interview room for two hours if they were sufficiently pissed off? I’ll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Should’ve told them you thought you’d overheard him talking about bombs. (-:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suppose it comes down to deciding whether when you witness someone’s (and in this case, let’s just recall that it was a girl who would have been in her mid-teens at most) privacy being violated for sexual gratification, whether you’re (morally, not legally) obliged to inform the parent/guardian or just think, “Ah **** it, he’ll probably just have a Thomas-the-tank over them later. What harm’s been done?

That is a genuine debate I’ve been having with myself btw. I’m kinda falling on the side of letting the responsible adult know what’s happened. Yes it’s unpleasant to hear for them but it had happened and I believe they have a right to know. However, I can also see the argument for not saying anything. I’m sure at the time my decision was driven by me having made the mistake of making it obvious to the perp that I’d clocked him doing it. I’m sure he’d have deleted anything fairly quickfire once he’d been rumbled. If I’d mentioned it to the bizzies, they may have lit a Gauloise and shrugged, or if they’d approached him, the family may have found out anyway. Who knows what would have happened?!?

kerley
    Free Member

As the person didn’t do anything wrong I would have taken no action at all. In the UK you can take pictures of whoever you want in a public place which is all they were doing.
    If you don’t want people to see your crotch then don’t go around bending over in a very short skirt – irrelevant whether anyone chooses to photograph it or not you are still clearly happy showing it off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would airport security exercise those powers, if they have them, if the OP had taken a photo of said perpetrator in the act? Perhaps.

I think this would have been an intelligent thing to do at the time, but if you can just put yourself in my position, I could only see him holding up the phone as I got close and actually make out the detail when I was pretty much on his shoulder. At this point I probably should have turned around, for my phone out and re-traces my steps towards him, this time videoing. Crikey, that might have looked like it was me doing the “salacious” act!! Cue a line of outraged travellers all videoing one another in a line stretching back. It’s getting more Black Mirror the more I think about it. Anyway, diversion aside Cougar, I was so “WTF? Is he really doing that? Is he? Why, yes, he bloody well is, the dirty bastard…” that I’d passed and given him the stare before having a chance to consider. I think you get that anyway.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you don’t want people to see your crotch then don’t go around bending over in a very short skirt – irrelevant whether anyone chooses to photograph it or not you are still clearly happy showing it off.

Ffs.

So the teenage girl was “asking for it” then right ?

simondbarnes

That appears to sum up what kerley is saying. I’d get a ban if I typed what I think of him for saying that.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m hoping it was a shit attempt at trolling rather than what he actually thinks.
    As that would be truly depressing.

ayjaydoubleyou

As the person didn’t do anything wrong I would have taken no action at all. In the UK you can take pictures of whoever you want in a public place which is all they were doing.

Never would have happened in a Burka. Ironically the young lady in question had probably spent most of the daylight hours of the preceding week wearing far less on a public beach.

I’d hope she could go through life without worrying about who was staring at her, but I guess society is not there yet.

{this is not a dig at Kerley – I get the point you are trying to make)

Not saying that DD did anything wrong, nor do I have a better suggestion. But I fear that the outcome is that perv-in-question has modified his techniques to evade future detection, and girl-in-question now has 4 years of dad saying “not going out dressed like that”

wwaswas

kerley: how young would the victim have to be before you thought taking pictures up their skirt was not ‘being asked for’?

batfink
    Free Member

Yeeeees…. this thread has unearthed some pretty unsavoury opinions.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought the thread was coming to a peaceful end. Needs biscuits now I think…

wwaswas

People do know we’re talking about a *child* here, don’t they?

Not some celeb who’s invited load of paparazzi on hols with them.

A child waiting for a flight home.

And yet the ‘she’s probably shown more on the beach’ ‘she was asking for it’ crew are out in force.

I feel a bit grubby just reading some of these posts.

martinhutch

I feel a bit grubby just reading some of these posts.

Stand on the other side of the room from the screen, and read them zoomed in on your phone. All OK then.

kerley
    Free Member

How predictable. My point is that if you show off your crotch for all to see then don’t be surprised when all can see and some people may look. If one of those people who can see decides to photograph it that is perfectly legal.

I personally wouldn’t be looking and certainly wouldn’t be photographing it and don’t see it as great behaviour but that is not really relevant.

martinhutch

My point is that if you show off your crotch for all to see

DD makes it pretty clear in the OP that she had inadvertently allowed her skirt to ride up as she’d shuffled forward in her seat ready to get up, the little temptress.

You have at least moved on from ‘doing nothing wrong’ to ‘legally OK vs morally wrong’, which is an improvement.

DezB
    Free Member

My point is that if you show off your crotch for all to see then don’t be surprised when all can see and some people may look. If one of those people who can see decides to photograph it that is perfectly legal.

That’s easy then. You do nothing. Maybe have a little chuckle to yourself that a perve is enjoying himself and putting stuff in the w-bank for later.
    Luckily, most of us don’t feel that way, like the OP doesn’t and would prefer to do something about it.
    Differing opinions… Not really worth arguing about or trying to persuade someone who doesn’t think it’s wrong, that it is, imo. No minds will be changed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My point is that if you show off your crotch for all to see

Not sure why you need to make that point, because, and now, I didn’t stop to absolutely verify that the young lady in question wasn’t showing off her crotch for all to see, but I’m sure she wasn’t. She was sat in a cluster of seats with her family, not open legged across from the guy. But if you feel you need to make up a series of events that didn’t occur to justify your point of view…well, it’s an open forum. And y’know, she’s just a bloody kid.

ayjaydoubleyou

And yet the ‘she’s probably shown more on the beach’ ‘she was asking for it’ crew are out in force.

as the person responsible for the first half of this, I want to reiterate – I in no way want to justify the pervs actions in any way.

I’m fully on the side of the poor young girl to dress as she pleases, and only wanting to point out that she is unfairly the victim of all this through no fault of her own. She knows that two blokes have been looking up her skirt (with very different motivations of course), and this was then drawn to the attention of her Dad in a public place. And now loads of blokes are arguing about her on the internet.

I’ve never been a teenage girl with a father, but I’ve been a teenage boy with a mother. These clearly aren’t the same but trying to put myself in her shoes I’m not sure I’d have wanted anyone to know at all.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Apologies for my lack of clarity. There isn’t a country in the world whose border/customs authorities don’t have the power to inspect electronic devices, in some cases requiring you to hand over social media passwords etc, once they have established, to their satisfaction, that you are in some way suspicious. Which is all that is required. And their threshold of suspicious is incredibly low. So Airport security could tell them that the guy was acting suspiciously on his phone. That would be enough. Anyone who has seen what US customs preclearance guys do will understand where I am coming from. They routinely ask people under the age of 30 if they have ever used cannabis. Even if you say no, the agent simply says he doesn’t believe you and refuses entry.

They found firearms parts in his luggage and the search of his phone was deemed illegal as they had no warrant

I think you might have misread that article. Customs officers in the US and most other places don’t need a warrant. They merely need ‘reasonable suspicion’ a much lower and easier to tweak standard. The court said they didn’t have reasonable suspicion but confirmed they didn’t need warrants.

Cougar

They routinely ask people under the age of 30 if they have ever used cannabis. Even if you say no, the agent simply says he doesn’t believe you and refuses entry.

How does that work? So no-one under the age of 30 is ever allowed into the US?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think you might have misread that article.

You’re right I did.

However, that’s completely different circumstances from the OP.

The main jist is about terrorism and immigration, ” finding that the government can conduct warrantless border searches to protect national security, prevent transnational crime and enforce immigration and customs laws.”. It’s not about catching a nonce in a departure lounge.

Anyone who has seen what US customs preclearance guys do will understand where I am coming from. They routinely ask people under the age of 30 if they have ever used cannabis. Even if you say no, the agent simply says he doesn’t believe you and refuses entry.

I have travelled in and out of the US quite a lot over the years. They seem to be a lot better now than they were a few years ago, a more pleasant and reasonable. However, I don’t deny that some of them act like dicks but what you are describing is a Government Official abusing his power, not acting within it, with people who know that the more they kick off the worse it will be.

What happens when these people are flying to Colorado? Does the no cannabis rule still apply? I can’t say I have ever been asked about my drug use when entering the US?

kerley
    Free Member

Differing opinions… Not really worth arguing about or trying to persuade someone who doesn’t think it’s wrong, that it is, imo. No minds will be changed.

Exactly. And by the way it isn’t wrong (legally) so not sure why people are suggesting getting ‘authorities’ involved. As I said, not the sort of thing people should do and I certainly don’t condone it – I just have a way of looking at things VERY objectively.

faerie
    Free Member

It’s already been established that up skirting is illegal in France and it became illegal in England and Wales on the 12th of April under the Voyeurism Act. At least you did something OP but I’d have reported it to security, he might already be on the sex offenders register and if not it sounds like he should be. The guy probably thinks he has some impunity as he was blatantly seen, yet he still got away with it. I wonder what he might do next?
    It reminds me of when someone tried to violently sexually assault me on a busy city centre shopping street one afternoon, not one person tried to help despite shouting at him to get off and that I didn’t know him. I didn’t report the incident either, what was the point? I worked as a waitress, had had a drink after work and was wearing skirt, obviously asking for it. Two weeks later he was successful in raping a woman

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just have a way of looking at things VERY objectively.

Yeah, I suppose describing a set of circumstances that didn’t happen to make a point comes under the label of objectivity for some people.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

How does that work? So no-one under the age of 30 is ever allowed into the US?

I don’t know if you don’t understand or are trying to take the p*ss. I don’t know how you could get there from what I said.

Essentially, you don’t have the ‘right’ to any country not your own. They find all sorts of reasons that probably don’t seem reasonable to anyone outside of Customs to deny entry, or have you into to ‘secondary’ where they can invade your privacy to almost any degree they wish. They engage in ‘profiling’ all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Incident at the Airport – think I handled badly – what would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.