Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Inbred 29er weight question?
  • ads678

What would an inbred 29er with sasla cromoto’s and fairly standard kit i.e. Deore cranks/drivetrain and wheels weight?

I’m no weight weeney but don’t really want to build something thats an absolute tank. It will be replacing a GT avalanche at about 14kgs (31 lbs)ish.

letmetalktomark

28/29lbs

A better guess could be achieved with a more detailed account of parts i.e. wheels.

ads678

would be something like this:

inbred 29er frame
    salsa cromoto forks
    deore wheels
    deore triple cranks 48/36/26
    spd’s (no cage don’t know exact type though)
    Deore f&r mechs
    Magura Julie brakes
    DMR wingbars (685mm)
    Race face prodigy stem (70mm)
    Ragley spike seat post
    SDG patriot saddle

soma_rich
    Free Member

My 18″ Inbred 29er weighs about 5 and a bit pounds. Its not light I dont think it even has butted tubes.

ads678

yeah on-one website says the frame is 2.495kgs

flatfish
    Free Member

28/29lbs

More like 30/31

ads678

if it’s about the same as my old GT (30/31) lbs i’m happy, much heavier and i might think again.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my 18″ has got.

1×9 with 12-26 deore
    hope on bontrager mustangs
    rst m29
    deore brakes/ cranks
    ea50 bars, thomson stem, use seatpost
    wtb vulpine/ bonty acx

came in at 28lbs

geax gatos added another lb.

not a calibrated scale. 😉

My scandal (rigid ss) weighs much less.

letmetalktomark

flatfish – Member

28/29lbs

More like 30/31

Agreed now I have seen a better breakdown of bits 😀

ads678

Reckon i’ll go for it. Upgrades will bring the weight down over time.

cheers all.

SimonR

Mine is built with on-one carbon forks, on-one wheels, SLX drivetrain with triple rings, hope minis, nukeproof stem, sunline flat ‘n’ wide bars, ardent/ikon tyre combo, controltech post and charge spoon saddle.

All in about 30lbs but that’s weighed using bathroom scales so probably +/-1 lb. Feels like it’s a very similar weight to my Five.

james
    Free Member

“Upgrades will bring the weight down over time”
    upgrades like the frame?

I seem to think I’ve saw a weight of the X5/£800 29er build in one of the mags and said it was 32lbs

Frame size will make a difference too. Won’t neccessary be 2.495kg or whatever

emac65
    Free Member

Yeah they aren’t light,but then that’s not such a problem unless you’re expecting to win races on it….
    Quite often makes me smile when I hear people talking about bike weight & components.How that something’s tooooo heavy, then you look at them & see they must be carrying a FS’s frame amount of weight around their gut alone….

ads678

It’ll be used for commuting, rides with the kids, and general stuff i don’t want to do on my Five. I certainly won’t be racing on it.

Frame is £130ish might be heavy but it’s cheap and capable.

emac65
    Free Member

Couple of years back I built mine up for the road(just slicks & road cranks)for use over the winter & did several centuries on it.The following year my mate lent me his Ti Lynsky road bike,it was about 10lb lighter.I did about the same mileage as the year before,including the long rides…I was far fitter doing the rides on the heavier bike & then when jumping back on a proper MTB it didn’t feel like it weighed more than my car……

SimonR

ads678 – mine’s perfect for commuting, local rides and stuff where a road bike won’t go but where a full sus would be overkill. Really enjoy riding mine …. don’t think you could do better for the money

ads678

Excellent, i’m in! 😀

liam1974

My 21″ weighs 30lbs its got
    Hope/mavic wheels
    Deore and slx 3×9 drivetrain, brakes and spds
    Suntour epicion forks,
    easton bar and stem and seat post,
    Maxxis ardent tyres.
    Its a cheap and cheerful frame but rides great.

Picto
    Free Member

Sliding dropout frame is between 5.5 and 6lbs from memory. I built one us as a single speed with carbon forks and ok wheels. Rode much lighter than its actual weight.

Was pretty good on technical stuff and was superb for covering big distances.

zippykona

I once bought some on one rigid forks. Sent them back as they were heavier than my suspension forks.

takisawa2

This was about 26.5 lbs.
    Forks are Singular Swifts.
    TN719’s on Surly SS hubs & WI freewheel.
    Thomson kit with carbon bars.
    Running Smallblock8’s in the summer took it down another pound.

IMAG0203 by pten2106, on Flickr

They arent the lightest frame, but they ride great.
    Rides better with a steel fork, & the difference between steel & carbon is not as much as youd think.
    Have a SIR9 now, with mostly the same kit & thats 23.5 lb.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Inbred 29er weight question?’ is closed to new replies.