Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Inappropriate tunes for a funeral
  • Harry_the_Spider

My mum passed the other day so me, my dad and my sister have been sorting things out.

I can’t believe this is intentional, but the tune for the crem’ that she wanted is…

Smoke gets in your eyes.

It’ll be raise a few laughs and wherever she is someone will have to explain it to her.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve told my nearest and dearest, when the time comes, highway to hell…..

RustySpanner

My condolences fella.
    Love to you all.

Pete & Sue.

tjagain

Sorry to hear that chap

A friend of mine who died from bad lifestyle of booze and fags had:

Rehab – Amy Winehouse
    Cigarettes and alcohol – Oasis

Watching everyone trying not to snigger was well funny

johnners
    Free Member

Condolences Harry. Don’t underestimate your mum though, maybe she wanted to slip a bit of levity into the occasion!

tomhoward

Sound of the underground?

And condolences, natch.

ernielynch
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of your loss Harry, mums are irreplaceable 😟

I once attended a funeral in a church which had been quite sombre up to the point that the coffin arrived, then suddenly, blaring very loudly from the speakers, came “Come On Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners.

It came as quite a surprise despite the fact that of course her name had been Eileen. It was rather nice though.

MSP

Many year ago, while watching telly with my then girlfriend, there was something on a news report about funeral music. So she asked me what I would play at the funeral if she was to die, without even a moments hesitation I suggested “ding dong the witch is dead”. Soon after she dumped me.

Dickyboy

An elderly relative of mine passed way sat in her favourite spot on her farm last year, so it seemed only right to spread her ashes in that field – cue all the sheep bounding over for feeding time 😬

pondo

Sorry for your loss. 🙁

My cousin was a massive motor racing fan – when he passed, his mum wanted The Chain, but entrusted the honours to an old lady who played the rather melancholy tune six on Rumours by accident, the one before The Chain. Not a tune I hear often, but I think of Alan whenever I hear it, he would have found it very funny. 🙂

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Condolences..  🙁

AC/DC Back in Black

jamj1974

Sorry that you have lost your mother.

We chose my dads favourite song to go into the chapel with ‘Sound of Silence’ by Simon & Garfunkel. Probably a bit inappropriate as the first line is: “Hello darkness, my old friend…”. That and ‘The House of The Rising Sun’ as the second track being largely about a brothel…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Possibly not one for a tune for those that die tragically in a plane crash…

Tom Petty “Learning To Fly.”

stwhannah

On the way into my grandfather’s funeral there was supposed to be some sort of aria. Except instead there was lots of drumming, and ‘ha!’ ‘Hoo-ha!’ noises. It turned out that the woman conducting the ceremony had had the cd’s out at home preparing for the funeral, and her son had inadvertently tidied up and put Ian Dury and the Blockheads into the opera case. Luckily my grandfather was fairly unimpressed at having to have a funeral – he thought a coffin was a waste of good timber – so it all went down pretty well with the relatives.

Cougar

A young lad I used to work with sadly took his own life. His soundtrack as they fired up the pizza oven and set the rollers going was Tight Fit’s ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’.

falkirk-mark

Condolonces about your mum but I keep telling my mrs if she goes before me it will be Burn the witch by Radiohead

gnusmas

Sorry for your loss, condolences to you and the family.

A friends brother passed away recently, the entry song to the crem was enter sandman and exit song was I should be so lucky. Completely different ends of the scale as far as music tastes go but were his favourites.

I’ve always said I want to be cremated, everyone has to turn up in shorts and I want firestarter by the prodigy playing at the end

joshvegas
    Free Member

claudie

I went to a funeral at a crematorium two weeks ago and the final song was elvis singing burning love. The first line is ‘I can feel my temperature rising’. Everyone walked out to the reception laughing which was a wonderful experience. Sorry about your mother.

Northwind

Sorry for your loss

My dad specified Highland Cathedral for the playout music, which is a lovely song obviously but it turned out he did it as part of a 30 year old joke with his sister to make her cry

I want Do You Realise by the Flaming Lips, and Hope for an Angel by Biffy Clyro. The first is just lovely and joyous and uplifting but still appropriate, the second purely because it’s gentle and quiet til it suddenly Biffys out of nowhere and then it’s all power drumming and AAAAAH aaaaaahhhh AAARARGH AARARGHGh

tomhoward

Tight Fit’s ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’.

To be fair, the urge to play that is always just a whim away.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Condolences Harry.
    My uncle had Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here.
    Not sure who chose that one, him or my aunt!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Commiserations.

And on a more sombre note:

Cougar

To be fair, the urge to play that is always just a whim away.

Paradiddle dot gif.
    👏

trail_rat
    Free Member

On Monday the curtains closed on .y uncle to Hawaii 5-0 theme tune.

Family joke at his request.

Made everyone smile.

chewkw
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss.

I don’t have any song to suggest other than perhaps organise the songs that resembled her life.

safi

Condolences

Another One Bites The Dust may not be appropriate.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I want If You Don’t Know Me By Now by Simply Red.
    Sorry for your loss.

hot_fiat

Mate of mine died a few years ago. He had the full Imperial March from Star Wars for his final curtain. Made us all smile.

Condolences on your loss.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Condolences.

If it helps my dad wanted Isn’t It Grand Boys by The Clancey Brothers. He got it, so did everyone else.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Im going to have the pixies ‘here comes your man’ playing when I pop through the furnace

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry for your loss

I want “Should I Stay or Should I Go” played at mine.

lesgrandepotato

I want to have ‘I am the resurrection’ by the stone roses

northernsoul

Condolences. I want M.E. by Underworld at mine (“It’s a beautiful destination
    For what it’s worth, It’s a beautiful destination, Goodbye Mother Earth”).

valley
    Free Member

I lost a friend to Motor Neurons he had planned his funeral so his Parting song was Always Look on the bright side of life fair lightened the mood

frankconway

Condolences.
    Oh Happy Day – Edwin Hawkins Singers.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Alicia Keys – This Girl is on Fire.

db

I’m being burnt to the Bloodhound Gang singing the Roof Is On Fire! Hopefully will raise a smile.

Sorry to hear about your mum.

ruggerbugger13

Sorry for your loss🥲
    I’ve told wife & kids that if they bury me I want “Living in a box” by Living in a box & if I’m cremated “Hot in here” by Nelly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.