Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Inappropriate Pop Song Lyrics for Children
  • Cougar

If in any doubt about the other meaning of “solo dancing”, this video of a song of that name by Indiana gives some handy visual representations….

If you’ll excuse me, I’m just off to dust my barometer.

DezB
    Free Member

I saw that Indiana live in a little pub a couple of years ago. Very good, but there was none of that (ahem) bean flicking going on, I can assure you (1:42 in the video)

FB-ATB

As678- using your substitution it puts a new meaning on Dancing in the Street! And what was dutty Terry Wogan on about with the Floral Dance?

This also means that there was nothing safe about the Safety Dance if the Men Without Hats were indeed uncovered!

Edlong- and before we had those there was the Who with Pictures of Lilly.

Will this be like Finbar Saunders where we find innuendo where ever we look, but at the end, Willie and the Hand Jive is perfectly innocent!

jamj1974

You just made that song so cool

You can all stand down.  There is no force in heaven or earth that can make any Clean Bandit song cool…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

And what was dutty Terry Wogan on about with the Floral Dance?

That reminds me – the Janet and John thing that Terry Wogan did on his breakfast show were sometimes hilarious and very close to the knuckle.  I’m pretty certain there could have been some very awkward questions asked by kids.

tinybits
    Free Member

You can all stand down.  There is no force in heaven or earth that can make any Clean Bandit song cool

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Ha, you got old</span>

jamj1974

^^ I am old at 43 and certainly have never had much claim to be cool – but Clean Bandit!  Jesus!

Clean Bandit make 1990’s era Cliff Richard look amazingly edgy…  This is the band who went front and centre in a cringy Microsoft advert a couple of years back.

Awful act.  Just ask Cortana!  😉

CountZero

But on the other hand, it feels like part of the overall insidious sexualisation of childhood thing.

Say what now? I really don’t know much about Clean Bandit, other than that they exist, but since when has their music been aimed at young children? ‘Nelly the Elephant’, on the other hand…

GrahamS

Clean Bandit make 1990’s era Cliff Richard look amazingly edgy…

I don’t remember any Cliff songs about spanking the monkey. Unless “Living Doll” actually a prophetic song about robotic sex dolls?

Certainly don’t remember any Cliff songs with a video that looked like this:

Clean Bandit video

(she needs to turn her vape down a bit!)

since when has their music been aimed at young children?

Not sure who it is aimed at, but the kids all know it. It was number one in the singles chart and is still at number three after eight weeks in the chart, so it gets a fair amount of play time on the radio etc.

That video has had 105,151,741 views on YouTube and the song is nominated in the Teen Choice awards.

jamj1974

I don’t remember any Cliff songs about spanking the monkey. Unless “Living Doll” actually a prophetic song about robotic sex dolls?

Please don’t take my post too seriously!  I do think they are a bit crap though!

antigee

particularly fond of the lyrics in Squeeze’s cool for cats only got to number 2 in the charts in 1979 and a popular sing a long for kids at the time:

Shape up at the disco when I think I’ve got a pull
    I ask her lots of questions as she hangs onto the wall
    I kiss her for the first time, and then I take her home
    I’m invited in for coffee, and I give the dog a bone….

hols2
    Free Member

slackalice
    Free Member

I had absolutely no idea that whoop whoop song was by Clean Bandit or what it was prattling on about, I thought it was a follow up to Israel’s Eurovision winner…

Ill pay more attention to the lyrics when I will undoubtedly hear it on the radio later today.

As for inappropriate lyrics, may I suggest cueing up Plaistow Patricia by Ian Dury and the Blockheads and turning it up to 11? 😜

Indiana is rather something isn’t she?

sherco
    Free Member

Ford Ec(h)o sport has Elvis Costello Pump it up as its backing track. A song about knocking one out.

Now ‘come on’ do they do any research before picking these songs or was it a clever sound man giving us a message

dirkpitt74

When my Mom was in her late teens she had T-Rex ‘Get it on’ on vinyl – apparently after hearing it my granddad banned her from playing it….

That Clean Bandit song was on in the Chippy last night – never really paid too much attention to the lyrics until I read this thread. It’s quite refreshing though that it’s about DIY and not just going out and sleeping around – very unlike a lot of modern-pop-chart-hit-parade songs. I watched the video on the train this morning – didn’t realise it was Demi Lovato either until then (can’t beat a bit of Demi first thing in the morning…..). What’s with the mutli-coloured dog though??

My Mrs used to get the Now albums and stick them on the kids iPods – she stopped doing that a couple of years back though as the amount of inappropriate songs outweighed the others. She just now downloads the less offensive ones off iTunes for them.

But yeah, there are always going to be offensive/inappropriate lyrics – and I think as time goes on they’ve become more acceptable (sadly..) and more accessible by/too younger kids with youtube etc.

Oh, and I give you:

My Ding-A-Ling-A-Ling/ Chuck Berry 1972

When I was a little bitty boy
    My grandma bought me a cute little toy
    Two silver bells on a string
    She told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling

My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling, won’t you play with My Ding-A-Ling?
    My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling, won’t you play with My Ding-A-Ling?

When I was little boy in grammar school
    Always went by the very best rule
    But ever’time the bell would ring
    You’d catch me playing with my ding-a-ling

Once while climbing the garden wall
    Slipped and fell, had a very bad fall
    I fell so hard I heard birds sing
    But I held on to my ding-a-ling

Once while swimmin’ ‘cross Turtle Creek
    Man them snappers right at my feet
    Sure was hard swimmin’ ‘cross that thing
    With both hands holding my ding-a-ling

Now this here song, it ain’t so bad
    Prettiest little song that you ever had
    And those of you who will not sing
    Must be playing with your own ding-a-ling

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Wait – Turning Japanese has a hidden meaning! Well I never..

When my eldest was around 4/5 one of her favourite songs was “filthy gorgeous” by The Scissor Sisters – they grow out of loving particular songs.. nowadays as my two angelic little girls approach 14/16 – I have little reservations about what they know or don’t know. There are bigger issues to worry about, banning stuff never works IMO.

Off to YouTube now to check out the lyrics of Turning Japanese..

PJay
    Free Member

And probably most of the Darkness’ repertoire (this one’s about STDs apparently).

theotherjonv

That Indiana vid is quite amusing but i don’t get half the references…… could someone list them out with times for me?

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Not exactly Pop Music but this one’s about oral sex..

Also I think B’Witched had a few vaguely inappropriate lyrics in C’est la Vie

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours..  Let the fun begin.. I’ll huff I’ll puff and blow you away

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

One of the more misinterpreted songs of all time, word was that “Turning Japanese” refers to the Asian facial features people get at the moment of climax during masturbation. In a VH1 <i>True Spin</i> special, they asked The Vapors about this song, and they explained that it is a love song about someone who lost their girlfriend and was going slowly crazy. Lead singer Dave Fenton said: “Turning Japanese is all the clichés about angst and youth and turning into something you didn’t expect to.” It was inspired by Fenton’s relationship problems.

I might need Turning Japanese explained – feeling a little dumb today

brassneck

My 10 year old explained it to me thus – sweary songs are awesome.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Basically all of Grease – especially the non-edit version of Grease Lightning, and my favourite Beauty School Dropout

Nico
    Free Member
    Drac

scotroutes

Cliff did Honky Tonk Angel  and then disowned it when he found out it was about a prostitute.

GrahamS

🙂 Fair point Drac. Enough of this silly Victorian prudishness.

I’ll show my 5 year old “Lemon Party”, “Two Girls One Cup”, “4 Girls Finger Paint”, “Blue Waffles”, “Tub Girl” and “Mr Hands” tonight and be done with it. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t remember those in the Sunday afternoon countdown Graham 😀

Nico
    Free Member

Every generation of kids has probably sung along to songs about masturbation without realising it until years later – for my generation it was Turning Japanese and Dancing with Myself.

Pictures of Lily

retro83
    Free Member

GrahamS

I’ll show my 5 year old “Lemon Party”, “Two Girls One Cup”, “4 Girls Finger Paint”, “Blue Waffles”, “Tub Girl” and “Mr Hands” tonight and be done with it.

You forgot 1guy1jar

GrahamS

My 8 year old did return home from school one day discussing scenes from “The Human Centipede” movies. But that’s a different story.

SaxonRider

Bottle of Smoke by the Pogues is pretty blatant, although hilarious when my little guys sing it.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Lucill Brogan 1935

I got nipples on my titties, big as the end of my thumb
    I got somethin’ between my legs’ll make a dead man come
    Oh daddy, baby won’t you shave ’em dry?
    Now, draw it out!

Want you to grind me baby, grind me until I cry
    Say I **** all night, and all the night before baby
    And I feel just like I wanna, **** some more
    Oh great God daddy

Grind me honey and shave me dry
    And when you hear me holler baby, want you to shave it dry
    I got nipples on my titties, big as the end of my thumb
    Daddy you say that’s the kind of ’em you want, and you can make ’em come
    Oh, daddy shave me dry

And I’ll give you somethin’ baby, swear it’ll make you cry
    I’m gon’ turn back my mattress, and let you oil my springs
    I want you to grind me daddy, ’til the bell do ring
    Oh daddy, want you to shave ’em dry

Oh great God daddy, if you can’t shave ’em baby won’t you try?
    Now if ****’ was the thing, that would take me to heaven
    I’d be ****’ in the studio, till the clock strike eleven
    Oh daddy, daddy shave ’em dry

I would **** you baby, honey I’d make you cry
    Now your nuts hang down like a damn bell sapper
    And your dick stands up like a steeple
    Your goddam ass-hole stands open like a church door

And the crabs walks in like people
    Ow, shit!
    Ooh! Baby, won’t you shave ’em dry
    A big sow gets fat from eatin’ corn
    And a pig gets fat from suckin’

Reason you see this whore, fat like I am
    Great God, I got fat from ****’
    Eeeeh! Shave ’em dry

My back is made of whalebone
    And my cock is made of brass
    And my ****’ is made for workin’ men’s two dollars
    Great God, round to kiss my ass
    Oh! Whoo, daddy, shave ’em dry

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Inappropriate Pop Song Lyrics for Children’ is closed to new replies.