Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • INAL – what legal claim to assets if you're not married
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I was under the impression that if you’re not married and the house you live in is solely in your partners name, then should you separate, you have no legal claim over the house as an asset, even if you’ve been contributing to the mortgage costs on a monthly basis.

Is this correct or can you still make a claim throught a court of law?

drlex
    Free Member

The non-owner can make a claim; will need to show a beneficial interest in the property. This is a useful piece to read.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, the other party can make a claim. Whether its succesful depends upon the circumstances. The registered owner has the advantage though as it where.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for this, very helpful.

CheesybeanZ

Well I read that wrong …

stevextc
    Free Member

Unless you signed a co-habitation agreement then not only can they claim but in the circumstances you describe (paying part of the mortgage) almost certainly going to be awarded some share. (Assuming a half competent solicitor)

Even if they don’t pay the mortgage they can make a case for their work or earnings contributing….

For example one partner being able to maintain a job to pay the mortgage because they did X,Y,Z and if X,Y,Z include looking after kids …. or if they paid for food and one partner paid for the mortgage

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well I read that wrong …

Sorry to disappoint

CheesybeanZ

I thought it was going to be a mums net thread .

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

IANAL but in Scotland I believe that co-habiting for 18 months+ gives the status of common law spouse, which has about the same standing as having done the church/registry office things. Could well be wrong though.
    Also fairly sure that even if this is true it doesn’t apply in E&W so may not be any use anyway

dannybgoode

There is no such thing as ‘common law’ spouse in English law.

Getting money out of a property you don’t have any claim over is surprisingly difficult also. Much more so than it should be.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Google says common law spouse in Scotland was basically abolished 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘INAL – what legal claim to assets if you're not married’ is closed to new replies.