• This topic has 69 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • In your humble opinion whats your favourite man made structure (building)
  • Bregante

My favourite building in my favourite city.

Turning Torso, Malmo.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mikeys

Struggling to find a good photo but Otto was genius and with help from Schlaich this is pretty awesome:

Munich Olympic Stadium

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Esselgruntfuttock wins. Unless I’m allowed 2 combined, and that’s Durham Castle and Cathedral viewed from the train as it pulls into Durham station.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/tkLuy6]panorama[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

pictonroad

SMITHDON HIGH SCHOOL?

theotherjonv

Yep! That’s it. You can see the window of my old student room in that pic.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I know it’s a bit of a cliche – but I’ve always like Sydney Opera House, photos don’t really do it justice – whoever designed it really considered its location – the way it looks in different weather – poking out of the fog, bathed in a bright red sunset or in the middle of the day – the way the ‘sails’ reflect the light is amazing.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Casa del Fascio in Como.

crankboy
    Free Member
    slowoldman

Struggling to find a good photo but Otto was genius

Indeed he was. Had a short lecture from him once. Fancied tension structures but was a bit too thick.

kimbers

only coz the real replica in vegas never got built

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My favourite place on Earth.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cranes. I really like cranes. There’s the giant hammerheads like the Finnieston crane of course, but I also have a soft spot for the Inchgreen level-luffing cranes:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bU2L7D]Inchgreen 9[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

CountZero

Old building, I have to say, this one; I never get tired of looking at these two aspects of it
    [/url]Scissor Buttress, Wells Cathedral by Adrian Hillier, on Flickr
    [/url]Cathedral staircase by Adrian Hillier, on Flickr
    Wells Cathedral
    And new one, well this one just excites me:
    [/url]image by Adrian Hillier, on Flickr
    I don’t think I need to identify it…

PiknMix
    Free Member

Kubuswoningen In Rotterdam.

JoeG
    Free Member

This comes to mind

Slowoldman – I live bout an hour away from Fallingwater.

hatter

The train shed at London st pancras.

Victorian engineering ambition at its finest.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bigbutslimmer beat me to it. Karnak temple. I’ve spent hours amongst those pillars watching the light change as the shadows move.
    And the Natural History museum in Oxford for the pillars and glass roof.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have always liked the upturned boats on Lindisfarne. Will dig out a picture or two later on.

slowoldman

@JoeG
    Ah the Vehicle Assembly Building. In my youth it used to be called the Vertical Assembly Building. I remember reading clouds form inside at the top.

So is Fallingwater all it looks in the photos?

hairybiker84
    Free Member

mikeys

I just looked up the natural history museum in Oxford eddiebaby mentioned and it’s pretty stunning. Maybe the Smithsonian courtyard is the modern equivalent.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is this the return of the Fred?

lowey

Grand Central Station.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

Is this the return of the Fred?
    Could be. Won’t take too long to find out. There will be a blazing row soon enough if it is.

TheFlyingOx

Interior – never been, but I’d love to visit Alexandria Library, Egypt:

Exterior – the ruins of Ta Prohm, Cambodia

grantway
    Free Member

Hoover Dam

bearGrease

esselgruntfuttock FTW, especially when illuminated by the evening sun.

sandboy

Please point out any redeeming features of Smithdon High School. It is possibly the most bland and uninspiring building on this thread! Your black and white photo indeed does make it look better that in the real light of day.

Solo
    Free Member

In a previous life, I checked and signed off the castings for the ramps of the UK Euro tunnel vehicle ramps.

So, not so much my favourite man made structure, but at least one I’ve had a part in producing, amongst other structures.

Since starting out, creating the profile of the sky line which you all drive past during your journey, I now contribute to designing the vehicles you use to travel in, passing the structures I had a hand in creating.
    So, in my small way, I’ve been strangely fortunate enough to have participated in creating the vehicles you use to pass by the structures I’ve also had a hand in creating.

😐

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘In your humble opinion whats your favourite man made structure (building)’ is closed to new replies.