Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Hold-Creationist-View-Human-Origins.aspx

And they are our Special Friends? Is that ‘Special’ as in ‘Special Needs’?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Argualympians! Assemble!

ojom
    Free Member

This is a definite 6 pager.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

In the U.S. 46% of people are stupid 😀

scaredypants

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Argualympians! Assemble!

😆

br
    Free Member

and neither the first nor last percentages add up to 100%…

the first is 91% and the last 93%…

On a good note, half as many again now beleive that God didn’t have a hand 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Is this one of those threads where we all argue round and round in circles, repeating everything that was already said repeatedly on the last 2 or 3 dozen occasions that this stuff’s been “discussed” (in the loosest possible terms), everyone is adamant they’re right (applies to any STW thread), and so on and so on?

Just so I know how to set my expectations …

MSP

No this is one of those threads where all the smug little losers accuse everyone else of arguing.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Can anyone provide figures for any European countries?

binners

78% of bananas aren’t aware that they’re yellow

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t see this thread lasting. Everyone knows they’re wrong and everyone knows they’re a bit stupid. What’s to argue about?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thats quite depressing.

Maybe creationists are just more likely to answer the phone??

cb

Perhaps 22% of green bananas are stupid

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bananas are actually a type of fish .

johnners
    Free Member

Just so I know how to set my expectations …

set ’em low, jo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting that the only real change has been the shift from god guided evolution to creationism, a sign of a more polarised debate?

Before this becomes a slanging match against the Ammericans, just remember that their history is still at a stage where great great great great granddad probably fought in the civil war and his grandad probably fought for independance. The sense of belonging to something is much more important over there, hence everything from Hells angels to Christianity provides a rallying point for people to feel a belonging too as there’s very little else to identify with.

batfink
    Free Member

The most depressing thing about this is democracy…. these same 46% are driving creationism to be taught as as an alternative (and equally valid) therory to natural selection.

Makes me dispair…..

TooTall
    Free Member

Did anyone click through to the methodology – or are you all just Daily Mail-ing your knee-jerk reactions?

Results are based on telephone interviews conducted May 3-6, 2012 with a random sample of –1,024—adults, aged 18+, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on landline telephones and cellular phones, with interviews conducted in Spanish for respondents who are primarily Spanish-speaking. Each sample includes a minimum quota of 400 cell phone respondents and 600 landline respondents, with additional minimum quotas among landline respondents by region. Landline numbers are chosen at random among listed telephone numbers, cell phone numbers are selected using random-digit dial methods.

So, I would draw from that information:

Just over 1000 people living in America, who were happy to chat to a stranger, who cold-called them, hold creationist views.

Not really that big a deal or that far fetched is it?

mrmo – good link. Not that different then.

richmtb

Its interesting how little the view has changed in the last thirty years.

Some comparisons between the states and europe of the same time period would be interesting.

As a pure guess I would imagine that the UK and Western Europe held similar views thrity years ago but the have moved away from traditional religious beliefs more thean the US has.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It also said…

For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points.

To me, it sounded like a well conducted survey. a randomised (though small) sample across all states.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did anyone click through to the methodology – or are you all just Daily Mail-ing your knee-jerk reactions?

Come on….This is STW after all! 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The United States is country of extremes. It has a great many people who are extremely ill-informed and ignorant, it also has a great many people who are extremely well informed, liberal, enlighten, and could teach us a thing or two. It is a very polarised country in comparison to many other countries, the word “united” in its name shouldn’t be taken too literally. I don’t see the point of this thread other than a tedious attempt to bash the Yanks. By all means criticise their governments, and their government’s policies, but smugly ridiculing its people is nasty and uncalled for imo.

scaredypants

So, I would draw from that information:

Just over 1000 people living in America, who were happy to chat to a stranger, who cold-called them, hold creationist views.
    or, possibly, 46% of just over 1000 people – as we say in readinghtedatacorrectlyandnotbeingtoosmugland

(……… nooooo, I’ve been sucked in …………)

binners

20% of the Village People are Construction workers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The special relationship is more we think it’s a relationship and they think we are special….

Don’t know if its more of a worry having to pretend to have a special friend who tells you what to do or keeping it a secret like Blair did

batfink
    Free Member

I find this quite depressing as well, having met a few brits i am not surprised!

From that guardian article:

Half of the 2,060 people questioned were either strongly opposed to the theory or confused about it.

Actually only 10 or 12% believe in something different – quoted later in the article, but the 10 and 12% seem to ovelap for me: I don’t understand the difference between “creationism” and “inteligent design”…. I just file them both under “hocum”

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I find this quite depressing as well, having met a few brits i am not surprised!

‘Half of the 2,060 people questioned were either strongly opposed to the theory or confused about it.’

Eh? Bit of a huge fooking difference between ‘strongly opposed’ and ‘confused’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Argualympians! Assemble!

Here’s battle cry [ one for the grammar pednats there eh – we should all have a chance to join in]
    Warms up Wikkipedia
    Gets some research papers ready
    Gets quotes ready

If I had You tube I would post up that guy from Gladiators going contenders ready 3, 2, 1 FIGHT

Actually i read it and only 15 % believe in evolution with 36% believing God guides evolution and 48%* believing in creationism…its worse than I feared…ah shit I made a school boy error I actually read the report cited

Sorry 😳

PS well done to Tootall for playing the I don’t understand how science works, what a random sample is or how appropriate the size of sample is or what on earth significance means…bit early I thought for that personally but WELL DONE

* bonus points if you noticed that those totals only add up to 99%

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I don’t see the point of this thread other than a tedious attempt to bash the Yanks.

OK, and your point? 😆

samuri
    Free Member

There’s a film out now about this. Prometheus.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

‘Half of the 2,060 people questioned were either strongly opposed to the theory or confused about it.’

Eh? Bit of a huge fooking difference between ‘strongly opposed’ and ‘confused’.

They can be quite closely related- I think a lot of people who’d say they’re opposed to it probably don’t understand it. You know- “If evolution is real, right, why haven’t the monkeys in the zoo learned to talk yet? Eh?” etc etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I just had a lovely fish banana yoghurt.

emsz
    Free Member

So some people are religious, and believe what their bible tells them.

Er, so what?

mrmo
    Free Member

Er, so what?

maybe the fact that they don’t actually know what the bible is telling them for a start. Yam Suph, the bible is a book written at a time, much of it is very context dependent, to read it without context, as many do renders it a very dangerous document. To read and understand its history is a good thing IMO.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Er, so what?

They then commit crimes in the name of their bible? They affect government policy because of what their bible says? It affects our daily lives? It affects education?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Er, so what?

Well, nothing, if that’s the end of it. If they then start lobbying (with some success) to have the stuff in the bible given an equal footing in schools with science, that’s something else.

Junkyard
    Free Member

emsz – Member

Er, so what?
    You are an abohimination and you cannot marry the person you love?

Lifer
    Free Member

6 out of 7 Dwarfs aren’t happy.

And as far as ‘believing what the bible tells you’ it depends what lesson/moral you take from it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/30/christian-fundamentalists-plan-teach-genocide

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

God help us!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins’ is closed to new replies.