Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • in trouble for asking for work…
  • highclimber
    Free Member

So were you left with work to do or not? It sounds like you were, but that you didn't judge it off sufficient value so went above your boss to get something else.

no, I was expecting some work to arrive from the MD by today. my line manager, in response to me saying I had no other work at the moment, because I hadn't recieved the work promised, suggested that I ' …make lists, contact some local outdoor ed centres and go and see'.

I didn't expect a reply from him [my line manager] as he was on holiday. I could have avoided this whole fiasco if I had asked him for more work but He was on holiday and I assumed, wrongly in this case, that asking for the work I was promised from the MD would be ok but my wording was sloppy and ended up making my line manager look like he hasn't been doing his job. Not My Intention other wise I would have NOT CC'd him into the email!

epicyclo

Time to get out of that company. It doesn't have a proper work ethic and is full of precious princesses.

Get a job where effort is appreciated and rewarded before you get ground down.

Start looking now.

BYW the best company to work for is your own.

highclimber
    Free Member

is that precious or precocious?

epicyclo

precious (irony)

BigJohn

I agree that my initial email was poorly worded

Yes, but your second one was even worse. Not a sackable offence, but one which guarantees no future.

I guess "highclimber" refers to getting on your high horse.

highclimber
    Free Member

why was my reply even worse?

and my username has nothing to do with my current occupation.

RichPenny
    Free Member

+1 epicyclo, there are more interesting ways of making a living than dealing with this kind of rubbish. Unbelievably, companies exist where your ability to work is valued above your ability to read and implement Machiavelli. Find one of those 🙂

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Surely you just need to clarify that you were expecting work from another source which didn't come? Ideally this would have been on your 1st mail but as you didn't just need to explain that? You made your manager look bad and if he gets told off then he will take it out on you so try and sort it out.

epicyclo

Highclimber, I've done similar – worse actually.

It sounds like you're working for an organisation that values politics over performance. Unless you like a political environment you're in the wrong job.

Remember bureaucracy is cancer of the administration.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are some very sensitive middle managers posting here, obviously more interested in empire building and office polotics than getting on and doing some real work.

+1

I so don't miss corporate life.

EDIT: Btw highclimber, how big is the organisation anyway?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well if your MD was getting you work to do-go find him if you can't find any work yourself.

You just asked it in a naive or rubbish way-learn!

highclimber
    Free Member

i'm not too concerned TBH. I know what I did was not the best way of doing it and I won't do it again but I feel like there was a bit of ambiguity in the communication of the information as to who to ask for what!

highclimber
    Free Member

how big is the organisation anyway?

not very big at all – two offices one in london the other in sheff max 15 staff.

They let me work from home 4 days a week (agreed when I took the job) as the office, where my line manager is, is 2 hrs from me.

The main office where the MD is based is in London.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Should have gone for a ride….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds like your line manager would be happier in a larger organisation where he can pass away the hours considering the inadequacy of his life. 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

may I suggest that you throw a kitten at your MD? I think it may help.

Squidlord
    Free Member

If I was your line manager, I'd be questioning your judgement and communication skills.
    If I was your MD, I'd think you're both muppets.

If I was you, I'd have been enjoying the paid free time.

nickname
    Free Member

I don't see much wrong if your MD is your next point of call.

Glad I don't work for your line manager, sounds like a bit of a twunt with his hissy fit.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well **** me, I'm pleased I work for the prison service if this is what your line manager's like. He sounds like a Nob with a capital K.
    Sounds like your line manager would be happier in a larger organisation where he can pass away the hours considering the inadequacy of his life.
    Not wrong there either.
    Sounds like a right 'up me own ar$e' company.

DT78
    Free Member

Sounds like you must be in a pretty small outfit, my MD wouldn't even know you exist, and you'd wouldn't need to worry as if your name isn't recognised your emails don't get read anyway…..

I would be a little miffed if one of my team contacted my boss saying they didn't have any work, but that's because we have more work than people so it would be showing a huge lack of initiative and shows that you need to be spoon fed work.

myheadsashed

You've successfully ruined your bosses holiday, he'll spend the rest of it stressing and wondering why your bad mouthing him when is backs turned…… 😆

You should be in Politics FFS

highclimber
    Free Member

Well **** me, I'm pleased I work for the prison service if this is what your line manager's like. He sounds like a Nob with a capital K.

judging by the amount of replys that have said the opposite, it would seem there are a lot of people like him 😀

For the record Myhead, he's the one who took his work away with him!

MSP

Don't forget to forward the email to your lawyer, he may as well start building the case now, in readiness for when you walk out having been bollocked for actually asking to do some work.

epicyclo

highclimber – Member
    …For the record Myhead, he's the one who took his work away with him!

Oh oh! That's a bad sign. That's the sort of thing that is done by people who are fiddling the books.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

gixer-chris – Member

See them both face to face, apologise and explain what you meant, take the b*llocking and move on, like grown ups do

Is abvouyt the best bit of advice on here IMO

highclimber
    Free Member

yeah and pretty much exactly what I was going to do anyway!

john_drummer
    Free Member

You might want to spend the rest of today updating your CV. Any prospects you had at your current companyy are now Scotch Mist
    can you explain what I have done that's instantly sackable?

He's not implying that it was sackable, more so that your prospects with the company may have diminished somewhat.

exactly. I wasn't implying that it was sackable, just that you'd (a) pissed off your manager – never a bright thing to do, (b) gone to the MD –
    not in itself a daft thing to do, but doing it on an email that you copied to your boss – "you plonker, Rodney".

They can't sack you for being stupid or insensitive, but your manager can certainly make sure you never get any juicy work to do; he'll never fight your corner if you need him to; and probably worst of all, he won't recommend you for a payrise. Ever.

In those circumstances, you may as well find somewhere else to work.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Highclimber recieves another assignment from his line manager (who's looking more relaxed since his holiday)

"it appears that stall No.2, No.3 and No.5 have become blocked again, aalso the plunger and mop appear to have been lost, again, sleeves up lad"

highclimber
    Free Member

In those circumstances, you may as well find somewhere else to work.

this has to be the worst advice EVER.

even I know you don't hand your notice in because you've made a mistake like this. I'll take my chances with a bollocking and go from there.

thanks for the advice though. maybe you should become a careers advisor?

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘in trouble for asking for work…’ is closed to new replies.