Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • In the US
  • frankconway

There are more gun shops than the combined total of Starbucks, MacDonalds and supermarkets.

stewartc
    Free Member

I don’t believe that, the yanks do like their junkfood even more than guns but…

10727-1leqxv5.jpg

sbob
    Free Member

And yet they serve the minority.

Remember kids, most Yanks aren’t gun toting nut cases, it’s just that the trigger happy nutters shout the loudest.

crankinirish
    Free Member

Nonsense

neilco
    Free Member

Don’t believe that infographic. I’ve been around the US a bit and (opinion-based content…) I don’t recall seeing anything like 4x the number of gun shops than Maccas, or 6x the number of Starbucks.

stewartc
    Free Member

I’ve been around the US a bit and (opinion-based content…) I don’t recall seeing anything like 4x the number of gun shops than Maccas, or 6x the number of Starbucks.

Lived out there for a while, New York & Washington states, and traveled around there a lot, and don’t actually recall ever seeing a gun shop though know many gun owners. The infographic notes that the gun shops are retail stores and Pawn shops, I suspect the retail stores include Walmarts etc of which there are many.

vinnyeh

… and the footnote for grocery stores says “$2 million dollars or more in annual sales”

Bit disingenuous, count everything that potentially can sell a gun, discount all but the largest food stores.

If you’re going to do shit like this, at least make it a sensible comparison.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends where you look, down in utah there were 5 fast food joints and 6 or 7 gun ranges near where i was staying.

Or of course its all made up

molgrips
    Free Member

That says gun dealers, not gun shops. Loads of ordinary people register as dealers cos it allows certain benefits, I forget what they are. But they aren’t dealing guns.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can buy a gun in a lot of grocery stores though so all those grocery stores that also sell guns are double counted in the top two figures.

So for example, Walmart has a license to sell firearms in its stores and they have 5000 stores nationwide and that’s just one ‘grocery store’ operation.

johndoh
    Free Member

So could I just walk into a shop and buy a gun + ammo? Would I need any firearms certificate or anything or could I just get a gun? Genuine question (been to the USA twice but never even thought to check this out).

legend
    Free Member

Depends on the state, but pretty much that iirc. Apart from hand guns that have a (3 day?) waiting period. Massive rifles, etc – crack on!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/

In summary it varies, some allow same day handguns with no checks too.

legend
    Free Member

especially if bought at a gun show – cause that’s much safer

philjunior
    Free Member

and the footnote for grocery stores says “$2 million dollars or more in annual sales”

Hmm, sounds pretty much like “a supermarket” as opposed to a corner store to me.

dantsw13

I call BS on that stat. Every corner in a city has a Starbucks. Every garage/SevenEleven sells coffee too.

pirahna
    Free Member

“johndoh

So could I just walk into a shop and buy a gun + ammo? Would I need any firearms certificate or anything or could I just get a gun? Genuine question (been to the USA twice but never even thought to check this out).”

Unlikely as you’re probably not a US citizen. The only place I enquired was in Montana and was told they had to do a security check. This takes about 10 minutes for Montana residents and 24 hours for people living out of State.

The shop I asked in was a gas station/grocery store/gun shop/booze shop and anything else the locals needed to buy.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’m reading this in Starbucks in Chicago.
    That narrows my location down to one of 164 locations.
    I’ve past numerous McDonalds etc., but haven’t noticed any Guns’r’Us, Cartridge King or AmmoMan stores round these parts…..

dannybgoode

In other news gun sales have dropped off a cliff under Trump and Remington have filed for bankruptcy protection and Smith & Wesson profits are down 90%

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/13/remington-bankruptcy-guns-trump-slump-sales

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately not for good reasons and not before the damage was done. They always said there was a boom after mass shootings in case tighter laws came into force. No chance of tighter laws for a while, next boom will be in 2019

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘In the US’ is closed to new replies.