Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • In the mood for a slightly daft outing
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Well – everyone else will think it’s daft anyway.

I have to go to Warwick tomorrow, 10am-3pm. That gives plenty of time to get the train there and cycle back to Cardiff. 103 miles, getting me home at ooh, 9pm or so.

Woud you? Am I a nutter? Looks like a good day for it, and it’s pretty flat (only 1300m climbing) so I might even be able to set a century PB.

trail_rat
    Free Member

whys that daft ? seems like a perfectly sensible way to get some milage in your legs.

im just plotting out a route for my ride home tomorrow night via bennachie and pitfichie as the mrs is on an end of term thing at school.

SaxonRider

I am jealous. But then, I got excited because I got to do Canton to Llanrumney and back yesterday.

toby1

So you’re setting off at 3pm? With a sunset time of 6:21, riding in twilight and SMIDSY territory on a sunny weekend afternoon. Hope there are plenty of nice quiet back roads to stick to 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Hope there are plenty of nice quiet back roads to stick to”

the worst kind to be on when its that kind of afternoon 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do it, sounds great.

Just take lights.

SaxonRider

I just looked and can’t get Google Maps to give me 103 miles. The shortest run I can get is 123.

Would you plan on crossing the Severn at Gloucester? If so, as beautiful as the three A-Road choices are (A48; A4136; A40), they all present hazards for being wind-ey and narrow in parts. Of these, the A48 is the clearest in terms of driver’s visibility. It will have an effect at sunset.

But you probably knew that already.

molgrips
    Free Member

The sensible route as far as the map’s concerned involves a lot of the A46, which might be a bad thing.

Google maps, if you select work and home, gives me 97 miles (remember I live in the East of Cardiff) and a planned route on bike route toaster gives me 103.

I’d go to Gloucester then A48 all the way home.

fasthaggis

It will be fine as long as you can dodge the Friday afternoon traffic,all rushing to get home for the weekend.
    Good luck.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife’s coming down with a cold though and would have to do bedtime whilst I was out having fun.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and the daydream has been shattered.

sucks

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah I think you’re daft. Daft to take the train when you could ride there 😉

99 without really trying
    https://goo.gl/maps/PJoKC7MzYkB2

molgrips
    Free Member

Question is, can I avoid the A46 without adding too much mileage or too much faffing around in towns?

Aracer, that’s university of Warwick. I’d be starting from around the A46/A4177 junction, finishing near J30 of hte M4.

jekkyl

I love daft ideas, think you might be underestimating your journey time a tad. Some route ideas here: http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/46450543/
    click fastest/quietest/balanced at the top. The quietest usually suggest sustrans routes and bridleways sometimes so doable on a cx perhaps. I’ve used warick uni and junc 30 services postcode to aid you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘In the mood for a slightly daft outing’ is closed to new replies.