• This topic has 39 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • In retrospect, it was inevitable
  • Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

I guess I’m just like Elon, but 28 days later…

No, not Bitcoin (I already have some of that)… I’ve succumbed and bought an eBike! 😂

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Come on then! Which one, you tease?!😁

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Environment wrecker.

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

Yes it was, as is the fact you’ll swap and change it twice within twelve months. The only problem is, now your excuses are getting less and less!

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Yes it was, as is the fact you’ll swap and change it twice within twelve months. The only problem is, now your excuses are getting less and less!

Not sure who pissed on your chips this morning, but this has been purchased effectively as a “personal uplift” bike as such… I’m looking forward to some big days out again (when we’re allowed!) and fancy doing some Marathon sessions at Staunton and the like, quite possibly doing 2-3hrs on my Geometron first then swapping bikes as I tire to prolong the session. That and I fancy exploring a bit more locally on the Malverns, and I’m not Liam Killeen!

It has been a looooooong considered purchase, and so far is the only eBike on the market that ticks the geometry and relative simplicity boxes for me. This last year has been incredibly depressing, being told where we can and can’t exercise for a significant proportion of it (I certainly made the most of the trails I could last year, whilst I could!), but not living within rideable distance of the trails has really hit home during the lockdowns…

Environment wrecker.

I’m not sure whether anyone’s told you, but the Govt has brought forward plans to stop the sale of i/c engined vehicles to 2030, and every new vehicle we can buy will have to be electric in the UK! I’m the least of your worries! 😉

Come on then! Which one, you tease?!

The Vitus E-Sommet 297 VR

I wanted proper Enduro bike geometry with a relatively low BB height (which most eBikes seem to forego!), a lighter weight lower torque motor, more basic Deore based drivetrain (no point in high end 12spd stuff on an eBike IMO!) and ideally a mullet wheel setup but a “normal” 2.4-2.6 rear rather than a 2.8+ sized rear. The only bit I’m planning to change (other than the tyres) for the forseeable future is the fork and shock for some higher performance units… I didn’t want the higher end model with EP8 motor though, as don’t want Rockshox or 12spd on it (or the extra torque of the EP8), so made sense to buy the entry level model and to upgrade the suspension.

Premier Icon kelvin

That and I fancy exploring a bit more locally on the Malverns

The Malverns are tiny! You make it sound like you’re off into the mountains…

Premier Icon dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Malverns are not that long but have some nasty climbs on them when you go one end to the other and back.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

“Ullo John,Gotta new spare motor?”

Alexei Sayle’s new song for the Ebike era 😉 🙂

Premier Icon Trimix
    Free Member

Actually, exploring the Malvern’s is difficult. Its so steep you really only want to ride up a few times (once or twice TBH) before you legs fall off.

Premier Icon richardthird

Good luck. A mate went without his e-Vitus for 3 months waiting for the inevitable warranty fix. 3 bloody months!

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

The Malverns are tiny! You make it sound like you’re off into the mountains…

It’s pretty easy to get to nearly 1000m of climbing in only 10km of trails on the Malverns if you’re riding the stuff worth riding! You can turn up at the Wyche and do an XC loop that gains or loses very little altitude if you want to, or you can follow your nose down some of the more interesting trails, then be faced with an immediate slog back up time and time again… It’s not about the height of a single ascent, but the number of times you repeat it! Also, I’ll refer you back to my comment about not being Liam Killeen…

I could of course choose to ride the canal towpath from Worcester to Birmingham and back if I just wanted to be out on a bike and wasn’t at all interested in riding anything technical… Or heaven forbid, I could go out on the roads instead! 😉

“Ullo John,Gotta new spare motor?

😂

To be fair, I’m not going into this blind… Just like dropper posts, I fully accept that eBike motors is a case of picking the one with the foibles that you’re happiest to live/deal with… From experience, I’d avoid Bosch, and whilst I’m sure the Spesh/Brose setup rides very nicely, I’m not a fan of Spesh’s geometry or pricing for sure! Nor do I wish to constantly be waiting for yet another motor to be replaced under warranty… In my limited experience of Shimano STEPS systems, the drive unit unbolts very easily and quickly and Madison have turned them around for warranty fix in 3-4 days for the couple I sent back whilst I still had my shop. I can live with that… 👍🏻

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Actually, exploring the Malvern’s is difficult. Its so steep you really only want to ride up a few times (once or twice TBH) before you legs fall off.

Someone who has actually ridden there rather than someone who’s looked at it on a map! 🤭😉

Good luck. A mate went without his e-Vitus for 3 months waiting for the inevitable warranty fix. 3 bloody months!

I have other bikes… Not too worried…

If it’s the motor, I’d just send it back to Madison through my mates shop off my own back to be fair… Madison are pretty good turning around Shimano STEPS motor warranties in my limited experience. I know people who’ve sat waiting to ride their Spesh eBikes for months too (having sold all their normal MTB’s too!) due to warranty problems…

Premier Icon bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Good purchase. I certainly think eMTBs are great in enabling people that are either elderly, weak or disabled in venturing out onto their local trails.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

@mboy

Nice choice matey. It makes sense about the lower torque motor and lower spec d/train. I’m a stealthy looking bike fan too… though I might be injecting a bit of colour into my blacker than black Jeffsy this year. Just ‘cos.😉

Looking forward to seeing some muddy/dusty pics when the “world” allows.😁

Premier Icon kayak23

Good purchase. I certainly think eMTBs are great in enabling people that are either elderly, weak or disabled in venturing out onto their local trails.

😂 Nice stealth dig.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Yes, it s a tough audience on here today!

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Hope you enjoy it OP. Sorry to derail the thread with a positive comment. Insert something about close passes and nobbers on eBikes here

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Nice stealth dig

It wasn’t at all stealthy though… Far too obvious, which is probably why nobody commented! 🤷🏻‍♂️

The idea with an eBike is additional rides rather than replacing other bikes. I’ll be more inclined to go and steal an hour or so here and there on the Malverns, and if I take it with me to FoD etc. when we’re allowed to travel again, I can sling my trail bike back in the van when everybody else is done and going home, and carry on and do a couple of hours more on the eBike on my own… 👍🏻

Nice choice matey. It makes sense about the lower torque motor and lower spec d/train. I’m a stealthy looking bike fan too

Cheers. I’ve done quite a bit of colour on the last 2 or 3 bikes, I’m overdue a Darth Vader’s Chariot again! That said, it’s going to get a few very choice upgrades that won’t necessarily be jet black… 👌🏻

Premier Icon kelvin

Someone who has actually ridden there rather than someone who’s looked at it on a map!

If that was aimed at me… you’re way off the mark.

My initial joke was because when I think of getting an ebike “to explore”, I think of people on the edge of mountain ranges… the contrast with the Malverns made be laugh. They were the nearest “big” thing to ride to (and on) when I lived down there though.

Premier Icon LAT

ebike for shuttling would be my reason to get one. a couple of chaps from a local shop use the demo bikes to climb long and dull access roads to get to the alpine and be home in time for tea.

Premier Icon phiiiiil

I can see how an ebike would be good on the Malverns. I used to live pretty much as high up as you could get there so didn’t even have to ride up, but would often set off to explore somewhere down the far end to find your knackered by the time you got there, let alone after a few loops around and the ride back!

There aren’t many “easy” rides there if you just want to pootle about.

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

My initial joke was because when I think of getting an ebike “to explore”, I think of people on the edge of mountain ranges… the contrast with the Malverns made be laugh. They were the nearest “big” thing to ride to (and on) when I lived down there though.

Ask Liam Killeen why he moved there years ago…

You might be surprised to find it’s because it’s the most relentlessly intense steep terrain anywhere in the UK! Yes, the peaks aren’t that big in the grand scheme of things, but the gradients are very unforgiving in places.

Premier Icon kelvin

I know it’s damn steep, used to ride there all the time, that isn’t what I found funny. Getting an eBike “to explore” just brings to mind a quite different kind of location… that’s all.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

That looks lovely, and you’ll have to give us a fair old write up once you’ve had some time on it.

Nice to see x fusion specced, not the usual standard fox. And i like the price. I also respect the E7000 motor and not one of the latest(read not long term tested) EP8 or E8000 motors.

Im also in the market for an ebike due to health concerns, but its been a rocky road deciding and theres a lot to look at and frankly just too much info on them all to easily decipher.
    11/10 for looks, its very sleek and sexy and not horribly clunky looking like too many are.
    I’ll add Vitus to my list of possibles and see what else theyre offering.

*Environment wrecker – Humour, due to that other thread. 😉

Premier Icon kelvin

I’m staying away from that thread. Every home should have an ebike. Price is the main issue (for now), and it’s good that Vitus/Chainreaction is speccing to aim for a lower price point. Looks smart as well.

[ oh, I agree on the mullet wheels, been running them on both my hardtail and full suss bikes for two years now … was trying them out … they’re staying ]

[ Trace 36 are really good, don’t rush to swap ‘em out ]

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Nice to see x fusion specced, not the usual standard fox. And i like the price. I also respect the E7000 motor and not one of the latest(read not long term tested) EP8 or E8000 motors.

Price point bike isn’t it. Something had to give re the suspension spec. I’m not a Rockshox fan and nor did I want the EP8 so bought the cheapest bike.

Trace 36 are really good, don’t rush to swap ‘em out

Somebody will be getting a decent brand new 2nd hand bargain then cos I have plans for this bike and the first is a visit to Mojo… 😁

oh, I agree on the mullet wheels, been running them on both my hardtail and full suss bikes for two years now … was trying them out … they’re staying

Just built a pair of mullet wheels for my Geometron to try out. Might be a little late to the party, but I’m keen to figure out for myself what the hype is about. I suspect for more “winch and plummet” (as it now seems to be called) riding that they make a lot of sense. Suspect for more traditional trail and XC type riding that 29er both ends will feel more beneficial.

I’m staying away from that thread. Every home should have an ebike. Price is the main issue (for now), and it’s good that Vitus/Chainreaction is speccing to aim for a lower price point. Looks smart as well.

I opened it hoping for some well reasoned debate from both sides of the fence… Shame on me, I should have known better! I got about half way through reading the replies and I could feel an anger swelling inside at the lack of knowledge of so many people, the focus on a single issue that they have deemed to be worse than Satan, and decided much better to close it then and there and walk away rather than responding… Think I only saw 2 maybe 3 responses that actually made much sense and considered all of our daily impacts as human beings on the planet! Charging a 500Wh battery from flat uses as much electricity as using your vacuum cleaner for 15mins… Are the hand wringers suggesting that they’ve decided to eschew vacuum cleaning once a week in favour of living in a dusty utopia? 🤷🏻‍♂️ The insistence that all the electricity is “dirty” and produced by burning coal too… I’ve got some news for them… There’s only 4 Coal Fire stations left, they provide less than 1.6% of the National grids supply now (down from 30% in 2014), and will have been totally phased out by 2025! Besides… If the govt cared about the future, rather than just making us all their tax slaves, they’d still be giving grants and subsidies for us to cover our houses in solar panels anyway… Imagine that, a self sufficient nation! 🤔

Premier Icon julians

Looks good, and good value for money. You’ll have a blast on that.

Do you know what it weighs? I couldnt see any weights listed on the vitus website.

I love the view from some that ebikes are only for the elderly ,infirm,weak and disabled. I understand that ebikes may not be for you, but if you cant see that they are enormous fun for a lot of people regardless of how fit they are, then thats a very blinkered view.

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Do you know what it weighs?

The Pinkbike press release claims 23.5kg… E7000 is tiny bit lighter than EP8 I believe, and the smaller battery will weigh a bit less too. But the drivetrain and wheels will almost certainly be a bit heavier. X-Fusion fork and shock probably a little lighter than Rockshox Zeb and Super Deluxe though (not that it matters, I’ll be adding weight in that regard anyway).

Heavy enough, but not as crazy heavy as some of the real heavyweight eBikes… Probably around 9.5-10kg heavier than my usual trail bike anyway.

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Massive thanks to the guys @ Mojo for sorting my shock and fork out, ready for the weekend…

Looks good, feels great! Looking forward to getting some miles in on it soon. 👌🏻

Premier Icon kayak23

👌😊

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

Ya grass is awful, bike looks tidy though

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

👊

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

Can I have a go on it?

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

Well that’s as good as bike suspension can get! EXT forks and shock plus the ebike suspension delight that is a much better ratio of sprung:unsprung mass!

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Got it muddy…

Well that’s as good as bike suspension can get! EXT forks and shock plus the ebike suspension delight that is a much better ratio of sprung:unsprung mass!

Was certainly a consideration in the purchase. That said, OEM wheels, Super Gravity tyres with inserts, that lump of a Sunrace 11spd Cassette etc. do mean the unsprung mass is higher than ideal but not something I’m too worried about… I’m not much shy of 100kg suited and booted these days, the bike is 25+kg overall, and the fork and shock was a highly considered purchase… 👌🏻

Can I have a go on it?

Bring your Fustle for swapsies… 👍🏻

Premier Icon kelvin

Premier Icon Poopscoop

I still think that’s a classy looking bike mboy.👍

Kelvin has also just reminded me that I NEED to watch Napoleon Dynamite again too!😁

Premier Icon kelvin

I still think that’s a classy looking bike mboy.

Even ignoring the cunning value hunting done… if it was money no object I don’t think it could look any classier. Love it.

Premier Icon militantmandy
    Free Member

Love the look of these. Once we complete our move to Inners, I can see an e-bike in my future for lunchtime / after work laps.

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I guess black never goes out of fashion eh! The design is quite a bit less fussy than a lot of eBikes for sure, which was certainly an appeal, but the geometry and the fact I could get a very low specced one for a good price to build on helped.

Having ridden it now, I’m really impressed with the current 11spd Deore. Feels more positive than XT/SLX 11spd (previous generation obviously as current stuff is 12spd) and looks really good too. The MT520 brakes are good stoppers too, a good amount of feel/modulation for a Shimano brake, perhaps lacking in ultimate power for an eBike, but funnily enough there was a bigger brake adapter in the box with the bike, so I guess I could up it to a 223mm front rotor if I feel it’s lacking still after it’s fully bedded in. That or some eBike compound pads.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.