• This topic has 250 replies, 110 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jca.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 251 total)
  • In praise of the toasted sandwich
  • ivorlott
    Free Member

Sticking with the cheese theme, Scandi inspired cheese and marmalade here, partial to a double gloucester myself…

nicko74

Epic, especially if you had a few too many beers on the sofa the previous night. Bacon and just the right kind of cheddar here; sweet option is banana and mars bar.

A potentially challenging question though… what’s everyone’s thoughts on the toastie machine (toastie ends up as sealed triangles) vs grilled sandwich machine with flat sides (toastie ends up as two slices of toast outside molten contents?

For me it’s the triangular toastie machine every time, even though the cleanup is a b*gger

2tyred

Pressure’s on, but try the cheese, srichacha and peanut butter combo and thank me later

I’ll salute you now colonel, that’s amazing. I don’t understand how it works, but it works.

Now I’ve eaten it I do feel a little bit Elvis-near-the-end. This afternoon will be a struggle not to go and make another one.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Castiron pans for gourmet. Breville for dirt.

Strong cheddar mixed with gruyere for stringyness.

I can do a runny egg toast in the breville but i’ve just ordered a new one so will have to adjust the times.
    Marshmalow and nutella is epic also.

2tyred

Ours is a panini maker with sort of corrugated plates that push together. Annoying to clean.

Triangle breville one is the best but I killed it repeatedly making cheese, hot sauce and tinned spaghetti dirt food masterpieces.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Lots of butter on both sides of the bread of course.

Bowk

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can do a runny egg toast in the breville but i’ve just ordered a new one so will have to adjust the times.

Ye canny just leave that sort of information hanging!!! Details man!!

ta11pau1

A potentially challenging question though… what’s everyone’s thoughts on the toastie machine (toastie ends up as sealed triangles) vs grilled sandwich machine with flat sides (toastie ends up as two slices of toast outside molten contents?

Was just thinking about that, we used to have one of the sealed triangle ones when I was younger, you end up with crusts as hard as concrete, and the heat all trapped inside so it’s like eating a pop tart, you burn your mouth. Much prefer the flat version we have now.

fasthaggis

Tuna,cheese,red onion and a bit of mustard.

Banana,peanut butter and honey.

Naturally

Sometimes Oxtail.

Thread suddenly went a bit 1970s 🙂

mogrim

The mighty Spanish “Sandwich Mixto”: buttered bread on the outside, then ham and cheese and a fried egg. Cooked in a frying pan so open sides. A real winner if you’re ever hungover in Madrid.

slackboy

How does everyone feel about the Heinz tomato soup accompaniment for dunking?

I’m heading over Salter Fell tomorrow. Tomato soup will be accompanying me. I’ll struggle to take a toastie sandwich though

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The mighty Spanish “Sandwich Mixto”: buttered bread on the outside, then ham and cheese and a fried egg. Cooked in a frying pan so open sides. A real winner if you’re ever hungover in Madrid

I recall having that every day for 2 weeks on a boys holiday in Gran Canaria, between that and a couple of 11am Doradas, the hangover never lasted. A nice hole cut in the top for yolk position too!

stretch…
    Free Member

Cheddar or Red Leicester, mushrooms and Henderson’s Relish

hopkinsgm

Daisy : In the end, our relationship was just like a sandwich toaster. You know, you just forget you’ve got one. And it just sits there on the top of the cupboard collecting a layer of greasy fudge. And even if you do see it you just assume it’s broken, you think if it’s working I’d be using it all the time, but you don’t and it just sits there. Then one day, you get an overwhelming desire for toasted sandwiches, you know? And you get it down and it works, and you can’t believe it, you know? And then you make every kind of toasted sandwich there is, you have toasted sandwich parties. You make Marmite and cheese, chocolate and…

Tim : Pilchards.

Daisy : Banana and…

Bilbo : Acorns.

Daisy : Acorns. And then as quickly as the desire comes, it just goes. And then you put the toaster sandwich maker away. And, you know what?

Tim : What?

Daisy : You don’t miss it.

Bilbo : So what you’re saying is ‘Don’t hide the toasted sandwich maker away, use him regularly and you’ll get the most out of him’.

Tim : No, she’s saying ‘Chuck your boyfriend, have a sandwich’.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’ll salute you now colonel, that’s amazing.

You’re welcome

thegeneralist
    Free Member

used to have one of the sealed triangle ones when I was younger, you end up with crusts as hard as concrete, and the heat all trapped inside so it’s like eating a pop tart, you burn your mouth. Much prefer the flat version we have now.

This X 1000. The old crimped triangles were abominable.

slowoldman

vial stuff

That the Big Pharma version?

Yes, I thought it came in tins.

Murray

Anyone remember Toast Toppers? Excellent way to ruin a toastie
    Toast Toppers

fettlin

The George Foreman Grill gets dragged out for toastie making (about the only thing it is used for!). Non sealed edges of sandwich reduces the risk of hard crusts and a pocket of lava inside as the cheese oozes! Non buttered outside, usually Ham and Cheddar with some Nando’s hot sauce for a dirty fix after a boggin’ ride.

Sandwich out and on the plate, move the George over the sink and wipe down with a wet sponge before it has chance to cool too much and go crusty, job jobbed!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Turkey
    Cranberry
    Bacon
    Brie

Yes, all in the same sandwhich.

nicko74

Was just thinking about that, we used to have one of the sealed triangle ones when I was younger, you end up with crusts as hard as concrete, and the heat all trapped inside so it’s like eating a pop tart, you burn your mouth. Much prefer the flat version we have now.

But they are the better filling – the melted cheese tastes better than the flat version!

lovewookie

violife vegan cheese slices.

tastes like crappy American cheese, but melts so well in a toastie.

best accompanied with veggie haggis.

chrispoffer

I see your George Forman grille – or the George Formby as my ex used to call it – and take pleasure in introducing you to the:

https://www.tefal.co.uk/optigrill

Similar to a Formby but you can take the grill plates off and chuck them in the washer and (crucially for me) it tells you when the food is cooked. Great for chicken / steaks / etc (especially if you’re a rubbish cook like me) and superb for a toasty.

Ham and cheese for the win naturally but try it with a bit of continental influence by making it as an eggy bread ham n cheese toasty. Croque Monsieur if you will. It’s the future, nothing sorts out a bad night’s sleep quicker than one for breakfast. You’re welcome! Enjoy them while you can, anything as knowingly non British may be banned post brexit…..

binners

Can we all just take a moment to quietly contemplate the patron saint of the cheese toastie*

* The ones that you hanker after when you’ve just got in from the pub, anyway. With Warbies bread, mature cheddar, corned beef and onion

ElVino

The “toasted special” often the only food available in a pub in Ireland (as opposed to an “Irish Pub”), cheddar, ham, tomato & diced onion, on standard white sliced bread with the internal temp of molten lava. Accompanied by a packet of Tayto Cheese & Onion Crisps and Guinness.

binners

@ElVino – in present circumstances that sounds like it would definitely qualify as a ‘substantial’ meal. It also sounds like a dream combination

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can we all just take a moment to quietly contemplate the patron saint of the cheese toastie*

I’m sorry, does that stuff come with shandy?

Do you use Kraft’s other products to make your toastie?

Propper condiments are made in factories that look like this

The smell alone could cure a hangover whilst walking down to uni.

Streetview tells me they’ve gentrified the area by knocking down the garage and putting up an information board. Presumably to tell people with no sense of smell how awesome it is.

Tracey

Wouldn’t dream of Hendersons relish on my toastie however it just been liberally splashed all over my home made meat and potato pie with mushy peas😁

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Mayo on the outside prior to toasting (Trust me)

Fillings all depend what is in the fridge. There is basically no bad tostie.
    Smoked cheddar and mushroom was a particularly good one.

binners

Wrong side of the border. There’s been wars started over less 😉

I alternate between Worcester sauce and this (when I remember to pick some up when they’re open) from the right side of the border

Which is made 500 yards away from my house, who also do awesome pies! 😃

Dickyboy

Ambrosia creamed rice and maltesers – okay I was drunk and it was a long time ago but I maintain it was my masterpiece 😂

welshfarmer91

Cheddar cheese and cold baked beans forced into the opening after the first bite for me but then I am a wrong un.

Vader
    Free Member

This morning I woke to the smell of fresh sourdough coming out of the oven and Madam Vader cooling loaves. By lunch time I could resist no longer. Sliced East Coast Cured saucisson sec and Lidl finest mancheggo, slipped between the buttered sourdough and slapped in a hot pan. My delight knew no bounds. Without hesitation, the finest toastie I have eaten, and I have eaten a lot.

Peak. Middle. Class

bjhedley

Keep it classic with cheese and ham, or cheese and tomato. Do like to go all middle class occasionally with a cheese and ham croissant!

MoreCashThanDash

I do feel a little bit Elvis-near-the-end.

That is a phrase I want to use in conversation.

willard

I still have nightmares about cheese and bean toasties and the carnage that they would inflict on my mouth as I ate them. Even leaving them for ages does not stop the molten contents from blistering the roof of your mouth.

Still taste amazing though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

fresh sourdough coming out of the oven and Madam Vader cooling loaves. By lunch time I could resist no longer. Sliced East Coast Cured saucisson sec and Lidl finest mancheggo, slipped between the buttered sourdough and slapped in a hot pan. My delight knew no bounds. Without hesitation, the finest toastie I have eaten, and I have eaten a lot

I’m sorry. This thread is about toasties. What you have described sounds absolutely lovely but it really is not a toastie in the usual sense of the word.

Like giving the recipe for beef wellington and then call it a sausage roll.

bjhedley

I’m sorry. This thread is about toasties. What you have described sounds absolutely lovely but it really is not a toastie in the usual sense of the word.

Does it have to be made in a toastie machine to be a toastie? What’s the definition? Prior to nicking the Missus’ George Forman, I had to resort to a griddle pan and wooden spatula for a toastie fix. Arguably the above is still a toastie, just more Shoreditch…

DougD

Cheese, ham, Stokes sticky pickle.

tomhoward

I once tried to do a Hawaiian toastie, ham, cheese and pineapple. The boiling pineapple juice, as I bit into it, will stay with me forever. Serves me right really.

Nowadays I reckon I’d go for mozzarella and Devil’s Mortar.

Spicy, spreadable sausagey goodness

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘In praise of the toasted sandwich’ is closed to new replies.