Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • In praise of…… Clear Safety Glasses
  • dawson

Last night in the fading light I ended up riding through a low hanging branch – my clear safety glasses probably prevented a damaged eye.

Well worth the £4.

benp1

I find them most useful for protection from flying insects

They are useful, look a bit dumb though!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

After a dog shit/eye interface, I will no longer ride without eye protection.

No matter how stupid it looks.

MoreCashThanDash

£1.99 clear cycling glasses in Decathlon at the weekend – work for me!

hora
    Free Member

After a dog shit/eye interface, I will no longer ride without eye protection.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Of late our dog managed to run through some bushes and got a thorn stuck in his eyeball. Expensive op (thanks, insurance) but sadly post-op complications mean it’s bye bye vision.

I’m aware he’s a dog and we’re humans, but shit happens – eye protection every time.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That was about the same noise I made when I realised what it was, and that my eyelid was acting as a squeegee as I instinctively went to scrape it out my eye.

Then I turned into Oscar Pistorius, crying and dry heaving.

GrahamS

Yes they may be cheap, but do they make you happy?

Then I turned into Oscar Oliver Pistorius, crying and dry heaving.

FTFY

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I wear a pair every ride, so easy to get a fly/wasp/twig/stone/?dog turd? (eww) in the eye.

Shop around, the ones I use aren’t any worse looking than proper cycling glasses, and you don’t look a tool wearing them.

Betafit Montana (free through work!) 🙂

jekkyl

I wear them for every ride, wind stopper to stop my eyes watering, stop stuff getting in my eyes, insects/branches/dog or horse poo. Contradictory when it’s raining though, they do stop the rain getting in your eyes but drops on the lense obscure vision.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Google doggles, goggles for dogs.

Sorry to hear about your dogs mishap though.

D0NK

3m virtua, they even do some shades aswell.
    Top stuff.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Always wear them and even better i can go into the warehouse at work and grab a decent set for nothing!!!

benp1

I bought some metal framed bolle ones. They look good as far as safety specs go, but still…

To be clear I’m a fan of wearing some form of eye protection. Its annoying when you stop moving and then mist up though

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^ doggles, awesome!

sandwicheater

Strimming the garden a few summers ago with full ppe on. Hit a fresh dog poo and only place not protected was my mouth.

From happy sunny day to retching on all fours in less than a second.

hora
    Free Member

I did this. I ran over cat poo with my lawnmower then walked into it.

That is when I set up pressure alarms linked to laser cannons in the garden.

zbonty

Link to anti cat lasers please. Loads of them on my road. I bet if you’re a cat owner you don’t even know what their turds look like.

nach
    Free Member

Bolle Silium have fairly slender metal frames and look okay IMO.

No dog poo, but I’ve had a few bugs hit hard enough to splatter, and always get mud in my eye if I forget them.

legend
    Free Member

Annoyingly I can’t find a single pair of safety glasses that sit properly on my face (otherwise they distort my vision horribly) so had to splash out on something moar expensive.

Never hit a cat poo, have however hit a cow poo at considerable speed. Looked like it had exploded all over me and the bike, thank Jeebus for goggles and full face helmets!

stumpy01

Bolle ones are pretty good.

I got some cheap Uvex glasses recently (a mate can get them at cost price) and I am sure they are just re-packaged safety specs.

freeagent
    Free Member

Bolle and Uvex are pretty cheap on ebay or from Screwfix.
    no reason not to wear eye protection really is there…..?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I find they defract my vision really badly. Just can’t wear them for riding, tried loads of types too what with the work I do.

Northwind

Huck to eyeball at Innerleithen, thanks Bolle BL10s!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve never worn glasses in 17 years of mountain biking … I always felt they were for the older dudes to feel part of the cycling ‘club’ .

Now I am paranoid I’m gonna get a thorn in my eye. What to do?

iainc

I wear my varifocals #oldfart 🙂

epicyclo

howsyourdad1 – Member
    …Now I am paranoid I’m gonna get a thorn in my eye. What to do?

Fit decent mudguards. Stops flying crap. 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What to do

burnie
    Free Member

I found a scratch in my goggles right where my eye would have been, had I not been wearing them, after going through a rock garden head first. Very glad I was wearing them. I’m going to start wearing glasses with my open face lid now I think.

Northwind

howsyourdad1 – Member

Now I am paranoid I’m gonna get a thorn in my eye. What to do?

Face your fears- nip out, find a thorn, stick it in your eye. You’ll be the better man for the experience.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ugh my own vanity is stopping me getting some, I admit it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘In praise of…… Clear Safety Glasses’ is closed to new replies.