Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • In love with Dartmoor
  • IdleJon

yunki – Member

There’s a pub on the road out of liverton that allows camping in the beer garden… the name escapes me at the moment but I’ll update you when I remember

I used to live in Liverton. (And before that up at Haytor.) The pub out of Liverton towards the dual carriageway used to be the Star Inn. There was also one up the hill off the ‘main’ road which I think may have been called the Carpenters. But that doesn’t sound right.

The Star used to be run by one of the Wurzels and they did a mean shepherds pie and chips. Great for hungry students. The landlord had his gold discs on the walls, scattered in among the farming implements. Tbh we used to prefer the one up the hill though. Just about every pub we used to drink in has closed now. 😥

maxtorque

Rattling good job there SprocketJock! 😆

(i’ll stick to my 160mm trailslayer thanks………)

flashes
    Free Member

The Star was just up the road from my Anties caravan park. The Wurzle ran it then. Being from Bristol I didn’t realise it gets dark in the country, almost had to feel my way back. Nice part of the world….

panzerjager
    Free Member

You lot are making me feel quite homesick!

I live in Chudleigh, just on the edge of the moor, but work in Basel, so don’t get to ride my home trails much these days.
    Wife and daughter are at home, so every other weekend, when I’m back, is family time…hopefully will get a spin out over Christmas, my son is home from Uni & I’m building up a new bike…Fingers crossed!

If you’re visiting to ride then maps are fine, but local knowledge is King. I rode with a few guys from the Liverton area, lovely bunch, knew the place like the backs of their hands. Met them at Hound Tor, rode for hours, including the screaming decent into Liverton, then one of the chaps drove us back up to pick up the cars.
    Awesome day out.

I think Hamishthecat is still around these parts, sure he was one of my hosts?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I think Hamishthecat is still around these parts, sure he was one of my hosts?

Not me – must have been two other fellas, although I do ride that area.

IdleJon

including the screaming decent into Liverton,

I moved from Devon in 93, bought my first mtb in 94. I’m annoyed that I’m missing a good ride. 😆

skybluestu
    Free Member

Slight highjack! Has anyone ridden Lustleigh/Hound tor/Grimspound this week? What are the conditions as I have a day off and am thinking of heading over that side for the day though if unrideable might think again..

yunki
    Free Member

The Star was not the pub offering camping.. (When I lived in Liverton The Star was being run by a very friendly member of the local Satan’s Slaves chapter.. Good hearty food and great ale, it’s where my family and I went to wet the head of my second son 🙂 )

The pub offering camping is out past Liverton on the Bickington road just after it passes over the dual carriageway

IdleJon

When did you live in Liverton, yunki? (It would be funny if we were neighbours.)

Edit:

The pub offering camping is out past Liverton on the Bickington road just after it passes over the dual carriageway

Was that the Welcome Stranger? I thought that was closed when I passed it in the summer? The next pub around, The Toby Jug was definitely closed but there’s a camping place just down the hill?

yunki
    Free Member

only about three to five years ago.. in one of the new builds at pottery yard.. my kids grandparents live in Monro Mead 🙂

I saw a couple houses in the area with keen MTBers in residence, but kept myself to myself a fair bit as we had two young babies so I was pretty much a zombie!

EDIT: ahhh yeah damn.. The Welcome Stranger was the one I was thinking of.. The Toby Jug’s been closed for years, after a fire if I remember correctly?

jam-bo

it won’t be dry…

jam-bo

it’s not all about the cleave either…we get better sunsets…

IdleJon

only about three to five years ago.. in one of the new builds at pottery yard.. my kids grandparents live in Monro Mead

I saw a couple houses in the area with keen MTBers in residence, but kept myself to myself a fair bit as we had two young babies so I was pretty much a zombie!

I lived in the house on the east corner of Old Liverton Rd, opposite Ley Close, actually around the corner from you but twenty years before! (I don’t remember Ley Close being there when I lived there.) I think I used to walk or cycle through the Pottery on the way to college. (Seale Hayne).

yunki
    Free Member

AAAAhhh… much has changed I expect 🙂

Have just been trying to post a few choice pics of the moor but it appears that I can no longer link to facebook images

maxtorque

If you were one of the group of MTBers i saw grinding into the screaming wind up Manaton High Street this morning, i salute you! Must have been a tad blowy on the tops………

jam-bo

Western side of the moors is totally saturated. Been a while since its been this wet. Even the dam overflow at burrator is running.

mactheknife

Aye thats the dartmoor i remember from when i was in the marines. Horizontal rain. Knee deep mud. Mmmmm trenchfoot. Would actually love to go back and spend a bit of time exploring on the bike. Bit far from Dundee mind.

jam-bo

its getting so bad and all my paddling mates are crowing about how good the paddling is so far this year I’m about to buy another kayak.

So, it should dry up pretty shortly…

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

It’s been busy on the river, it’s been rammed at Newbridge and Holne every weekend the past month. bike’s have remained pretty much in the shed!

jam-bo

i know, I drive past newbridge on the way to work and its barely dropped below the slab since october.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘In love with Dartmoor’ is closed to new replies.