Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • In-law staying over for 6mos .. Yay or Nay?
  • martinhutch

Six months isn’t a holiday. It’s an occupation. 🙂

Cougar

is only temporary

Chinny reckon.

shortly it will be autumn/winter soon and I am back to my old life

Are you deciduous or something?

Andy-R

My only trouble really is I dont have a clue how to live/deal with people in their golden years.

No different from anyone else, is my answer – there are as many 65 year old assholes as there are 35 year old assholes (or maybe not?)
    Anyway – what’s this “golden years” stuff? “Golden Years” as in David Bowie? – he’s older than your MiL BTW.

Cougar

he’s older than your MiL BTW.

And can probably still climb stairs.

What does ‘due to her fitness’ actually mean, anyway? She’s not ill or infirm presumably, you didn’t say ‘due to her health’. Probably do her good to climb a few stairs, then. Enter her into the London marathon and get her a gym membership, soon sort that out.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just dawned on me 6mos is literally half a year

Every day’s a school day on STW.

mogrim

I’ve had my MiL stay for that long, as long as she’s occupied it’s not actually that bad. Which is a problem where we live now, there’s not a lot to do during the day. (Our old flat was a lot better in this regard: it was close to the shops, the church, etc.)

There’s no way I’d be in the spare room for 6 months, though – unless she’s genuinely disabled there’s no reason she can’t climb an extra flight of stairs every now and then. And get a TV for her room to encourage her to stay there 😈

PiknMix
    Free Member

Think back to 6 months ago, seems like yesterday no?

It will soon fly by. Enjoy the spare room 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

As above, everyone’s the same, treat as you would treat anyone else.

shermer75
    Free Member

Also fair point about the stairs- the more stairs she climbs now the longer shell be able to climb them at all. Sounds like it’s the only exercise she gets, so you’ll be doing her a favour!

martinhutch

People are always banging on about the life-extending properties of extreme diets, when the reality is that your miserable existence just makes every moment feel like a lifetime.

A similar principle applies here – this could be longest six months of your life. Savour it!

binners

6 months! I ‘m afraid theres only one way that would end…..

rocketman
    Free Member

Shes coming over for a holiday for roughly 6mos

Jeezus H

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

hooli

No, no, no, no. Family are like fish, lovely but go off after about a week.

Andy-R

Just to show that I don’t always practice what I preach re. tolerance and patience etc. – last year my in-laws (85 and 81) came to stay, just for two weeks, with my wife and me in our small house in Greece.

And it was bloody hard work – too hot, nowhere “comfortable” to sit (ie no horrible leather reclining LazeeBoy chairs), too many mosquitos, too many stairs, only one WC and shower, no satellite TV (so no British soaps then), “nothing to do” in our very small village but didn’t want to travel anywhere in a car either. To be fair, my MiL wasn’t too bad (and probably enjoyed the experience) but my FiL probably couldn’t wait to get back home.
    At one point my wife commented to me that “all they seem to want to do is eat, sleep and shit” – she wasn’t far off the mark, to be honest.

We have an elderly Greek couple as neighbours who are about the same ages as my in-laws (well, maybe slightly older) and Dimitris used to refer to them as “the old people”……

Karen and I found that a large ouzo or two at lunchtime helped to make us more tolerant.

hora
    Free Member

Two weeks is a long time for some. We stayed in a tiny village in Kefalonia. It was beautiful, wild and quiet. Too quiet for me. After playing in the sea, laying restlessly on the beach and riding umpteen motorbikes around the island I couldn’t wait for the day to leave. Just bored rigid.

Andy-R

Two weeks is a long time for some. We stayed in a tiny village in Kefalonia. It was beautiful, wild and quiet. Too quiet for me. After playing in the sea, laying restlessly on the beach and riding umpteen motorbikes around the island I couldn’t wait for the day to leave. Just bored rigid.

We used to go on holiday to Kefalonia, we’ve probably been about twenty times. I don’t really do lying on beaches either but what I do do is riding dirt bikes and driving Lada Nivas on km after km of dirt roads in the mountains.
    Makis Stefanatos at Ford Rent-a car in Skala even used to give me bikes completely free of charge – he was, and is, one great guy
    This was when you could still get half-decent bikes and stuff like Nivas, of course. Now it’s all just scooters and Hyundai Atos type stuff, I suppose.

Cougar

As above, everyone’s the same, treat as you would treat anyone else.

Absolutely.

So with that in mind, I’m coming to stay with you for six months. I’ll be needing your bedroom. Get the kettle on.

Andy-R

So you might well be having two cougars staying with you……

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘In-law staying over for 6mos .. Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.