Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • In dashcam land what’s the equivalent of Drac’s iPad?
  • oldtennisshoes

I’ve been considering one for a while.
    The Nextbase 522 looks good but I’m also a big of a Garmin fanboi.
    Probably want front and rear. Can you use a front facing one on the rear or should you use a dedicated rear facing unit.
    What you got?
    Ta

perchypanther
    Free Member

Copied and pasted from the last dashcam thread because I can’t be arsed typing it all again…

Whatever the cheapest Nextbase one is at Halfords.

Not because they’re the best cameras or anything but because the hardwire kit is easily available and a doddle to fit.

The camera will become a pain in the tits to use if there are trailing wires or you need to manually switch it on and off all the time.

I only need to remember to format the card every couple of weeks, otherwise it’s fit and forget.

Also, get one that records in higher FPS rather then HD

The resolution won’t do you much good if the car you want to identify has shot through your range of vision at 80mph when you’re recording at 24 frames per second. The number plate’ll be a blur.

At 60fps you’ll have a fighting chance.

Drac

Found this on my iPad.

Dash camera recommendations.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldtennisshoes

😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

I ended up ignoring perchy as I’m a tight arse and went for the Amazon one that was suggested. We’ll see later if it’s any good after last night’s incident…..

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve got the 522 + rear camera, I’ve not got around to installing them yet though (need to find somewhere to hardwire it for me). Bit crap that using the rear camera means you have lower resolution footage on the front as well – the SD card is quick enough to store two high res sources so must just be cheap internals in the dashcam.

perchypanther
    Free Member

ignoring perchy

Story of my life 😉

Rio

We’ve got the Nextbase 522 + rear camera on Mrs R’s car. Dashcam works well but the rear camera completely knackers DAB reception despite much rerouting of cables and application of ferrites. Nextbase weren’t interested when I told them this (“All our devices are thoroughly tested for electro-magnetic compatibility”), but tbf it may be partly the fault of the crap BMW electronics on the car.

tthew

We’ll see later if it’s any good after last night’s incident…..

Did you protect the clip as an ’emergency recording’ (is how my dashcam terms it) or take out the card/switch off the camera as I suggested in your post about the incident? If you’ve done any significant driving since then, depending on the camera resolution and size the memory card it’ll get loop-recorded over if you don’t protect it in some way.

Flaperon

I only need to remember to format the card every couple of weeks, otherwise it’s fit and forget.

Why? Doesn’t that defeat the whole point of loop recording?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The camera has a G sensor in it that detects impact to autosave what it thinks are “incidents” but it’s quite prone to  false positives and if you don’t clear the card  by formatting it every so often ( by selecting it from a menu – takes seconds)  it fills up with saved clips and doesn’t leave any room for the looped recording

tthew

Mine does that, but I can’t just reformat at the moment because I have to keep the original file I submitted to the police on the card for evidence – for upto a year!

I have to remember to attach it to my PC and delete all the files occasionally.

Does yours have variable sensativity Perchy? Mines set to minimum, which doesn’t fire a vast number of false records, just enough to assure me a real crash would trigger it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does yours have variable sensativity Perchy? Mines set to minimum, which doesn’t fire a vast number of false records, just enough to assure me a real crash would trigger it.

Yep set to minimum but the kids still occasionally set it off by getting out of the car and slamming all  the doors as hard as is humanly possible.

granny_ring

Following

Burger

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams
    Lots of dashcams reviewed here. Lots of variety in the quality of footage too. Just because something is a ‘1080p’ camera, don’t assume it will be of high quality.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I fitted the 522 front and rear about a month ago. No issue with the cameras really but the nextbase app that you use for reviewing clips really does suck balls. Their “high speed WiFi” connection between camera and phone is so flaky it’s unreal.

fooman

Apeman was mentioned in one of the other dashcam threads, so I had a look. Reviews quite good on Amazon – they are doing a bundle with front + rear camera + sd card with a discount voucher bringing it down to £36;

Apeman

There’s also front only (no sd card) for £25

oldtennisshoes

Thread resurrection because there is 25% off all Nextbase cameras over the weekend.

Special Offer – 25% Discount this Bank Holiday weekend only

tthew

As the year’s retention period I mentioned up there ☝ has expired, I uploaded my clip of extreme bellendery to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hH_PH6AwZc

I thought this place embedded YouTube clips automatically?

proutster
    Free Member

oldtennisshoes

Thread resurrection because there is 25% off all Nextbase cameras over the weekend.

Thanks, 522GW bundle just ordered 👍🏻

bentandbroken

@tthew – please tell me that some form of action was taken against that white Merc!

fooman

I bought the Apeman C420D front and rear dashcam after the last thread on here. Currently £33 delivered on Amazon with 32Gb SanDisk memory which is an amazing price given how well it works.

tthew

@bentandbroken certainly was! Cheshire Police have an upload site and they asked me to fill out a witness statement about half an hour after I submitted it. I guess it was sorted by a fine or something (hope it was a hefty one) because I never got called to give evidence in person. I’d have liked to get some feedback, but I suppose the police have better ways to fill their time.

franksinatra

The kinetic energy caused by my kids slamming the doors is like a motorway head on smash. Nextbase are clever enough to know this and save the clip as evidence. Over time this fills up the SD card

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘In dashcam land what’s the equivalent of Drac’s iPad?’ is closed to new replies.