• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bream.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • In Chamonix on my own next week – what trails?
  • idenry
    Free Member

Off to Cham with my family so will get out for a few half days and maybe one big one. Skied there but never ridden, had some tip offs from mates and there’s a VTT map but curious to know what’s riding well right now. Seems the MTB ban is now lifted? But looks like I might not be able to take a bike up Lognan lift (I’m staying in Argentiere) as the Grand Balcon down to Cham town was recommended. Any tips welcome for solo stuff that doesn’t leave me bleeding to death in a remote valley but is high and interesting.

Bream
    Free Member

Good question, sorry I can’t help answer but will be interested to see any replies, I’m planning to be there myself the first week of October and will also be trying to get out and ride.

Have you found a bike hire place yet? What type of riding you looking for?

fergal
    Free Member

Bike ban lasts untill 31st August

nedrapier

Bike ban lasts untill 31st August

Really?  This must have been the ultimate cheeky ride then!

chamonixbikeblog<span title=”Edited”>Every* lift in a day: Tick ☑
    A wee challenge that’s been bothering us for a whiles now. 12hr, 9800m and 14 lifts later, @lornecameron & I could finally go to the pub for a well earned pint 🍺. .
    *Every lift on the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass from Le Tour through Les Contamines to Megeve……except Brevent. So we did some extra climbing at the end as penance.</span>

fergal
    Free Member
    Bream
    Free Member

Looks like the lifts will be closed when I go so I’ll be looking for long open XC loops and less DH hardcore stuff.

Do you have any GPX files for the area or similar?

idenry
    Free Member

Printing that off to go ask a Frenchy in the office what it says but got my info from here…

https://www.chamonet.com/news/chamonix-brevent-lift-to-allow-mountain-bikers-for-first-time-in-years-chamonix-centre-717076

Ah well, I’ll know by Monday when I get there.

idenry
    Free Member

I’m in Argentiere in my cousin-in-laws flat, there’s a shop called Namaste there that he mentioned. Rates look decent online.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

There are plenty of local tour companies, why don’t you just get in touch with one and pay to join them for a day

Bream
    Free Member

Any links to the local companies? I’d prefer to join a guided tour if possible?

zomersetglider

I’m very envious! We stayed in our campervan early September in Argentiere on my all time favourite campsite.

If you take the cable car up from the village you can have a great descent into Chamonix- meet the family folk in Chamonix for lunch and get the train back or ride back following the river on the other side of the valley.

Enjoy

idenry
    Free Member

MarkiMark – Tried a couple, they’re full! Good business this time of year. I might still do it but just seeing what others might have to say.

ZomersetGlider – Could you get up to Grand Balcon level? I’ve read something that says you can’t with a bike on that lift but yeah I’d love do that back down to Cham town.

SamC
    Free Member

Give Wayne at Chamonix MTB a call. Just had another brilliant day out with him a couple of weeks ago. My third time now and they’ve been three of my best days riding ever.

idenry
    Free Member

SamC – I did! He’s a mate of a mate. Booked solid. Good to know you loved it, any trail tips?

NewRetroTom

Those wondering about the bike ban above – it doesn’t apply to all trails.

There are still quite a few that you can legitimately ride. So the Chamonix bike blog ride linked above was all legal I believe. No doubt Graham will be along shortly to clarify.

SamC
    Free Member

I’d barely be able to remember them the next day. It’s such a labyrinth of excellent stuff – and relentless with a guide. You could ride straight past the most exciting trail in the valley and be none the wiser. Not that that helps you much. All down the Les Houches end of things this time

lardman
    Free Member

@zomersetglider

which campsite in Argentiere is that?

Im in Chamonix next week, maybe weds, looking for a recommendation.  With Family, in Motorhome.

Keeping eye on this thread for riding tips too.

Grump
    Free Member

Bike Ban is still very much in place, but all the trails used in the big day mentioned above (Hi Ed) are 100% legal (You were right Tom). They’re also mostly not in the Chamonix valley. Le Tour and Les Houches then Les Contamines, St Gervais and Megeve. If you’re in Chamonix for near a week and buying the week long lift pass then it’s not bad value really and you can ride all those spots, if not, it’s something like 65euro for a (big) days riding. More info here: http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/2018/all-the-lifts/

Even with the bike ban, there’s tonnes to ride.It’s a shame Wayne’s booked out as Les Houches in particular is getting really good these days, but most of the trails are really hard to find or spot. Te complications this year are that Grands Montets is basically closed to walkers and bikers for the summer as the new lifts being built hare over most of the lower trails, so they’ve been closed for the summer. Flegere has a similar story, although for the last few years bikes haven’t be allowed on it in July and AUgust. Brevent has recently changed to let bikes up after 1615 and only to ride Charnalon, which is good step. An important thing about the bike ban is that it actually makes sense. All the centre of valley trails are so busy with walkers there’s no point in riding them. More bike ban info here: http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/2017/unintended-consequenceschamonix-bike-ban/

As for October Bream, unfortunately you’ll fall between the times the lifts are open in Chamonix, they close late in September and Brevent or Flegere will re open in late October. Verbier will still be open at weekends then, the train will still be running in the valley and Dorenaz, Bex, Saleve and other year round lifts will still be going if you have a car and the inclination to drive an hour.

idenry
    Free Member

Grum p – thanks for all this, I’ve been on the (your?) blog quite a bit recently. Good to get it cleared up. I’m literally sat at the table this morning with Trailforks open, the IGN map and a highlighter pen. A mate was out with Wayne a few weeks ago, they’re mates from Uni days so I’ll study his Strava and see if I can piece anything together. I’ve got the car so can always go further afield and I’ve contacted Powder Peaks (any good?) to ask about guiding. Looks like I can ride out of Argentiere and do some interesting looking stuff at the Tour/Vallorcine end. I can ask in the shop if it’s legal.

I’ve found where the Merlet run is – that legal in August? And there’s a run down from the top of Plan Praz which I assume is the Charlanon, starts on the TDMB path then heads sharp down at Chalet De Charlanoz.

Anyways I always find it makes a lot more sense when you get there and I can chat to a few folks. Thanks again.

Bream
    Free Member

Have you used the GPSies website, there’s a few good trails listed on there and you can download the gpx files to follow?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘In Chamonix on my own next week – what trails?’ is closed to new replies.