Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • In car Sat Nav help TomTom vs Garmin
  • kimbers

Hello looking for a cheap satnav

garmin nuvi 50 vs tomtomxxl

anyone used both?

cheers

kimbers

kimbers

BUMP

hammyuk
    Free Member

TomTom every time for its easy of use, connectivity and the simple PC link for updating.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would have recommended garmin every time. (free updates unlike tomtom) having tested maybe 100+ satnavs in the past.

but my nuvi is the most frustrating thing – the mapping architecture doesn’t recognise the classification of a road only speed limit.

It will take you down some 5foot wide country lane instead of the a road nearby to save you driving 300 meters.

Milkie
    Free Member

I prefer TomTom stuff.. But you do get speed camera’s and map updates with the Garmin…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Used both, Tomtom has a slightly easier UI, but the Garmins have been better overall.

Free Garmin updates is a big plus

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you going to europe or staying in the uk ?
    big plus for the garmin for me was it has a card slot where as many of the reviews for the tom tom said that once you update the internal storage isnt big enough for the europe and UK maps.

i ended up with a garmin nuvi for 70 quid and used it to drive from aberdeen to GAP via amsterdam ferry with few issues , though i will say , learn to ignore the sat nav and follow signs once you find them as often it will lead you through a town as the quickest way(even if you have turned off shortest route) but my experiance of tom toms is no better.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my god , that reminds me of one issue ….

speedcamera alerts …. THE THING WONT STOP BEEPING in the uk – turned them off and just went back to using my eyes like i did before – its not like i speed anyway but the damn thing just keeps beeping to alert me a mobile camera stopped here once in 1972.

GolfChick
    Free Member

i would of said tomtom but now im not so sure. I purchased a live model which for the first year was brilliant saved me many a time diverting me from motorway and waving at traffic stopped on it while i woven underneath and over it! The live then ran out and to continue was £50 a year I wasnt prepared to pay so I let it run out…. therein started the problem. You then no longer have the google search so you end up getting your phone out to find the nearest ‘whatever’ and the routing is utterly ridiculous… it seems to take you on the most ridiculous roads purposefully to piss you off enough to pay for the live feature again! All very well when you dont know where you’re going so cant tell the difference but I tested it out where I knew the area and some of its detours were frankly ridiculous. I’ve sold it one bay now, someone prepared to fork out £50 a year has bought it and I’ve gone to using google navigation on my phone instead!

CountZero

Have you considered the use of a smartphone with in-car satnav installed? CoPilot hd Live is only £19.99,for UK and Ireland, and it works pretty well. And you get free updates fairly regularly, which is nice.

kimbers

Im very impressed with google navigation on my phone

but I think it like to try a dedicated satnav-

Ive just odered a garmin from halfords for 65 quid if I hate it I can always sell it on!

nealglover
    Free Member

Copilot live HD on iPhone is awesome.

I use it all day every day and its great.

I know its not one of the ones you asked about. But if you happen to have an iPhone, its cheaper than both.

(Even if you factor in a nice Brodit mount and a charging cable.)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom Tom for me, bigger screen and the rest means it beats a phone hands down, it also means my phone is still charged at destination as the screen, volume & GPS have not been running for hours.

I was just about sold on the phone after moving to Oz but a work trip to NZ saw me get the thing updated and has been great.

Sui
    Free Member

Nah you’re all wrong – Becker (which runs Navigon Software) or Navigon own. Much better features and ease of use and the BIG + is that the voice sounds normal and polite

CountZero

Tom Tom for me, bigger screen and the rest means it beats a phone hands down, it also means my phone is still charged at destination as the screen, volume & GPS have not been running for hours.

Not exactly a problem when the phone’s plugged into the car audio, thus charging, playing music, and giving directions.

Im very impressed with google navigation on my phone

but I think it like to try a dedicated satnav-

Well, with CoPilot running, the phone is effectively identical to a stand-alone satnav, screen-wise, with the added advantage of being able to play the music that’s already installed.
    I’ve tried Google Maps, and their directions are no different to CoPilot; Apple Maps give better cross-country directions, but if you need to get a new route, then you’re stuffed if there’s no phone signal or wifi. Which was the case while I was on holiday for a week last year, in South Devon.
    CoPilot worked beautifully, though.

hot_fiat

TomTom for UI, mapping, route re-calculation speed and file structure (if you want to pre-plan long routes this is pretty important.

Garmin for ruggedness and customer service. UI is unfathomable junk that will fail the ‘can my dad use it?’ test. Their Basecamp sync software is a wobbly pita.

They’re both about the same for directions and on-screen instructions.

Tomtom are becoming the Gillette of the navigation world though as all the useful add-ons (updates, speed cameras, silly voices) is where they make their money.

nealglover
    Free Member

it beats a phone hands down, it also means my phone is still charged at destination as the screen, volume & GPS have not been running for hours.

Brodit vehicle (and phone) specific powered mount.

Sorted.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Problems with Copilot are firstly that my Galaxy S3 won’t charge fast enough from the 12v socket to prevent the battery running out while using it and secondly if I’m not in the car with my phone the missus can’t use it, so to use it she’d need her own version.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have TomTom Start 25 5″ screen with lifetime map update so far so good.

The new TomTom looks even nicer with better 3D graphics but somehow the processor might be a bit weak as the scrolling is not as smooth.

kimbers

well got the 65quid garmin seems ok after a play around on the sofa

best of all ive got an xwing fighter for a car icon if I spend $10 I can get a darth vader voice too, but im too tight

if id known about the star wars stuff id have gone with garmin straight away!

as to functionality Im off to darkest wales for UKGE this weekend so if it finds the field OK ill be happy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘In car Sat Nav help TomTom vs Garmin’ is closed to new replies.