Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • In a rut… help me read my way out..
  • Tiger6791

So I’ll openly admit I’m stuck in a self loathing, overweight, poor health (head & body) rut. No exercise, poor eating, not sleeping, drinking most days, etc.

(for the few who know me will probably have seen this)

My stats for the year pretty sum up where I’m at

Basically this year I’ve barely touched my bike. I’ve not raced once, I’ve given up with Zwift, the idea of the road bike & traffic fills me with dread.

2015 – 5k
    2016 – 3k
    2017 – 2.5k (but ran over 500km marathon training)
    2018 – 3k
    2019 – 264km (gained over 2st ☹️)

I’ve got to sort this and have a better year in 2020!

Recommend me some good books I can that will help me read my motivation back 🙂

(or anything to be honest)

cloudnine
    Free Member

What motivated you in 2015?

perchypanther
    Free Member

This might be hard to hear but….

Get another dog?*

Walking the dog improves my mood more than anything else these days.

*Magnetic superpowers preferred but not essential

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

You never see a grumpy runner.

Get out there, run the trails and see the wood in the trees.

IMO.

Books can just be a space to waste time until you are motivated to read and put into practice some of the suggestions (or just loose yourself in fiction)

We’ve all been there, the best time to go running is when you don’t want to.

RichT

I find entering an event or planning a trip helps get me off the sofa so how about these ideas>
    1. Try something new, maybe enter a triathlon or off-road duathlon. Swim or run sessions tend to be shorter and easier to fit in than a long ride, so you can fit them in more easily.
    2. What about the Scott MTB marathon series?
    3. Book a touring holiday in France or similar. Easy to get to and lovely for cycling. I did this last year and it helped me get motivated as I wanted to get fit and enjoy the trip.
    Good luck.

brant
    Free Member

I started running, kept getting injured. Then deleted Strava and just go play out running in the woods instead. Stop for a breather when I fancy. Try to smash uphills if I fancy. But just get out.

Much more fun. Less injuries.

Strava has the ability to turn a good session into a shit one I didn’t hit PBS/KOM/CR whatever. **** that.

Oh. And making my own bread.

These are the things that help keep me happy.

Tiger6791

cloudnine

Subscriber
    What motivated you in 2015?

I think I was a different person

perchypanther
    This might be hard to hear but….

Get another dog?*

Check! – 2 rescues a year ago (Been out today with them already)

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/end-of-the-road-for-magnetodog/page/4/#post-10266371

Weirdly, and I know this is wrong I sort of blame the dogs as I feel a responsibility to them. But that’s not really true and probably just use them as an excuse not to do stuff.

bikebouy

Subscriber

I’ve run a few times this year with the dogs and I enjoy it when I go but getting out of the door is the problem. Also vicious circle of I can’t run like I did while I’m heavy. Etc etc…

weeksy

Swinley tomorrow with me and my lad 🙂 No pressure, no hassle, we’ll have a Garmin on but only for logging distance. We may do the proper trails, we may just arse about on some of the old stuff over Crowthorne woods way. Jumping, messing and a bit of cake of course.

You know it makes sense 🙂

StuF

This book I’ve read a couple of times and makes me want to get out and run

Tiger6791

Swinley tomorrow with me and my lad

Cheers Steve! (I would love to but not an excuse but can’t this weekend due to other family commitments)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve run a few times this year with the dogs and I enjoy it when I go but getting out of the door is the problem. Also vicious circle of I can’t run like I did while I’m heavy. Etc etc…

Yep, totally understand that. But thats the best time to go out.

It’s not a race, just jog on.. stop, enjoy the view, jog on … and repeat.

Winter isn’t all that shit for running, it’s a bit muddier and can be cold and dark but if you unleash the inner child with a bit of adventure in you you’ll find all sorts of places you’ve missed or never knew they were there.

Half the problem at times like this is opening your mind to a bit of adventure when all around you is enclosed and inner monologues of “can’t be bothered, what’s the point, ahh it’s raining” and thats a hard one to crack, but once you start.. it’s honestly infectious.

2015 may have been different, it certainly was for a lot of us, but today is the one you count on for getting you through it.. not tomorrow, and yesterdays gone… it’s only today that matters.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Try something new and physical  that you’ve always kinda fancied but never got around to?.

Martial arts, canoeing , ice dancing…….whatever takes your fancy

Something that’ll spark your interest and hold it but, because you’re a complete beginner at it you won’t feel bad about not being very good at it.

This’ll then have the knock on effect of motivating you to do the  running / cycling stuff for  improved fitness to pursue your new activity

bentandbroken

Listen very carefully, I will say the only once….. 😉

Parkrun

It free. Starts at 9:00am Saturday every week. Volunteer a few times to see that the grade of running is generally between fast and walking and then start doing them. One of our locals lost 5 stone by starting Parkrun and she now feels fitter and happier than ever before

senorj

I read Homer’s Odyssey and found it very inspiring.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Swimming helped me, and I need to do it again because reading OP describes me most of the time (albeit with stubborn re-injuries that limit exercise and contribute to the cycle) and the times that I experiencing the most notable upswings were times where I was strictly going (lane) swimming two or three times a week whatever the weather. When overweight I find that removing the gravity can break the demotivation cycle.

I agree with the running advice in principle, although can’t run owing joint injuries so recently invested in a foot-bike to bridge the gap between running and cycling and walking. It is ACE 👍🏼

To summarise – getting out and about and active come rain or shine is the key. The right carrot + stick is the motivation + self-discipline

Start small and ramp it up. Doing it is more important than the performance rating. With swimming and footbiking I do the same circuits and gradually increase The distance minutely each session. It becomes meditational and focusing. The performance will likely improve naturally as your body and attitude changes from ‘ow, **** this’ to ‘now, let’s DO this better, it feels good’

#takemyownadvicefail

Edit: Possibly something else in life (other than the drink) are getting you down/contributing/unaddressed – but that chicken vs egg is more easily identified (what’s a symptom vs what is a cause, or are they on and the same etc) when you’re up and moving and feeling better 👍🏼

So get out and do something. I’ll be lane swimming tonight for the first time since spring, thanks to your post as a harsh reminder 😬. Next week the same. Let us know how you’re getting on next week, OP? I’d say ‘good luck’ but Yoda says it better.

chakaping
    Free Member

drinking most days

Just stop doing that in the first instance, then the sleep, exercise and good eating will all get easier.

You don’t mention if you do mountain biking OP? It’s good for just going out and having fun without feeling like you’re “doing exercise”.

weeksy

You don’t mention if you do mountain biking OP? It’s good for just going out and having fun without feeling like you’re “doing exercise”.

He certainly used to, we did some XC racing back when he was fitter and I’d often see his Swinley strava stuff.

Tiger6791

I was doing all cycling, I enjoyed my mountain biking the most but I don’t really have much directly on the doorstep so the road bike was easier at times.

When I’ve been on the bike this year I’ve loved it. Then I put it away and find reasons not to use it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well, you can’t take it for granted on here these days.

Do an experiment: Try treating bike rides, or whatever, like you do work. Think of them as something you “have” to do, the way we think about work.

Keep that up for a few weeks and it’ll start to become a habit, then in time hopefully part of your identity. So you see yourself as a cyclist/runner/whatever, not someone who thinks they should do cycling/running/whatever.

Hope that makes sense. It’s my area of work so it better do.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is your turbo a “smart trainer?”

Do a rough and ready Zwift ramp test and do a mix of gentle easy rides and ERG controlled power training sessions, starting with short ones like Emily’s Short Mix (30mins including warm up and cool down). Not too many hard or long sessions per week while you get your legs back, no more than on three days per week.

Another positive of ERG workouts for me is that it can make me put out power of a similar level to freeriding up the big slopes, regardless of the actual virtual terrain. This means and can mix up which routes I ride, because ERG workouts disregard the gradient, so I can do things that defy physics with my 50/11 gear in the real world such as hold 400W for a minute while descending say a ~13% slope.

Tiger6791

I’d often see his Swinley strava stuff.

https://www.strava.com/segments/17426484/embed

There was a time I could get a bike round Swinley quite quick,

12th out of 1102 for a full lap.

I’ve successfully killed that fella off though with Red wine & chips

weeksy

No you’ve not, you can find him again. You’ve made the first step by knowing you want to and knowing how you can. So now make the next step and find it again, find him again.

stumpy01

One of the best motivators is to arrange things with other people – i.e, that offer from Weeksy.

It’s much harder to not do something when you have arranged to meet others.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

PS I know you said books, so listen to audiobooks while running, cycling, walking to the pool 👍🏼 Any book you fancy. ‘Motivational’ books are IMO best written, not read.

Try a 2020 Diary and write in it every day how you’ve gotten out of the house and moved your body, even if for only 10 mins. Someone mentioned treating it like ‘work’. Yes. Habits are to be both broken and made, make some good ones go break the bad ones. Repetition, putting time aside to do it. I must do not I can do. The walking the dog thing is a cliché but when our dog got sick and couldn’t walk, I stopped walking too. This kick-started a downward spiral that only responsibility and discipline will cure. It’s weird because I always enjoy getting out after the event looking back. I never return home thinking ‘I wish I hadn’t gone out’. Depression is a weird bastard, he hangs out with Procrastination and makes excuses so we feed them when they really just need The Bombers.

stumpy01

…oh, and regarding the reading….I would just get out and do stuff.

I use the technique of reading to tell myself I’ll start doing something just as soon as I’ve learnt a bit about it…

– Improved time management
    – Training for fitness
    – Woodworking
    – Using flash more effectively for photography

All things I have bought books to ‘help myself do’ which haven’t helped at all, but have made me feel like I’m doing something about them and it’s just a first step, whereas in reality it’s procrastination.

bob_summers

No you’ve not, you can find him again

Hmmm easier said than done. I was driving down a fast A road yesterday and saw some poor sod riding on the shoulder, lorries whizzing past and thought to myself, why would anyone do that?
    Of course, I used to ride the same road twice a week on my long hilly loop. 5-750km every week, all weathers, all through winter… No way could I do that again.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

@Tiger6791 if you’re ever fancying a steady spin around Swinley then give me a shout. It’s on my doorstep but I’ve not rode it much for the past couple of years so planning on some steady laps to get back into riding the MTB.
    I can usually get out weekdays as well as weekends if it suits you.

stevextc
    Free Member

Agree with stumpy …. plus just getting out is habit as is sitting on the couch (or whatever).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, this is turning into a Friday EDL thread. 👍

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve had an up and down year, but the things that helped me are yoga/swimming & easy bike rides and this book

The book is not directed at cycling, although there is a cycling one i think, but i found it very useful. As other people have said don’t worry about recording distances or times when doing all your exercise, just go and try and relax. Bimbles are the future! Good luck next year.

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

Not entirely relevant but this is a nice way to spend 17mins..

Guy has a pretty cool attitude, some humour and positive snippets..

Might be some motivation there or in one of his other videos.

willyboy
    Free Member

Just watched that video. Awesome. Very positive.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

👍🏼 Enjoyed that vid. Reminds me, I know I poo-poo’d motivational books upthread but some kind soul recently (ok in the summer) long-term loaned me this

Procrastination/attention deficit(?) has so far frustrated my getting past the first chapter but I agree with ikigai in principle. In short, it examines the lives and attitudes of a population/culture of Japanese Islanders who seem to live very long (and happy) lives. To grossly simplify – they live simply, keep busy, and never ‘retire’

epicyclo

Born to Run is a great book. I’ve bought it 3 times now because I’ve given my previous copies to friends.

Good tips, leave the watch at home, run for yourself not against someone else, ie walk when you feel like it. Run offroad.

Best one, get a dog. The joy a dog gets from running with you is contagious. It’s hard to be miserable when your hairy friend is so happy.

avdave2

Great video, really enjoyed that, so easy to think I’ve not really got time to do that now but who says it’s not worth starting if you can’t finish there and then.

Cougar

Are you sure about those stats? Should 2019 be 264m?

I’ll not bore you with the rather miserable background details, but when I found myself being reluctant to dig out the bike the strongest motivator I found was my then-partner going “hey, let’s go out!” I’d mumble and grumble quietly and be thinking “I’d far rather play Tomb Raider for 20 hours straight this weekend” but I’d go to keep her happy and wind up having a whale of a time. Rinse and repeat, I always loved riding whilst I was doing it but actually getting out of the door in the first place was a trauma.

These days I’ve got a mate who provides much the same role, he’ll message me saying “doing owt this weekend, fancy coming over?” and I’ll chuck the bike in the boot, go over to his, go out for a scamper on the trails near his house and then spend the evening variously playing board games, watching films and getting heinously drunk.

If it weren’t for Dave I probably wouldn’t have ridden at all for the last couple of years. Find a riding partner, tell them the situation and ask them to order you to come out with them.

kcal

Hardest bit of the ride is the 4 feet out of the door. Bit of a cliche but as Cougar above has said (and I’m agree 100%) it’s the truth – maybe especially with motivation problems at play.

There’s always other things to do – especially if you’re in a bit of a trough.

singletrackmind

What you could try is isolating the things ghat you feel are making you depressed.
    Write them down, plan to cross off the list. Even if it’s stuff like re hanging a door that won’t close without a shoulder barge
    Then you can go for a bike ride
    The ride will be that bit sweeter knowing that blooming door is fixed and it won’t make you angry ever again
    A few little wins anv a few more miles
    should see you right, plus it’s 2 weeks tll she’s on her way back praise the Lord n

Cougar

The ride will be that bit sweeter knowing that blooming door is fixed and it won’t make you angry ever again

That’s a really good point. If you’re anything like me, it’s hard to overestimate how much small wins can make a big difference. I fixed a broken coat hook the other day, now every time I hang up my coat it gives me a little smile knowing that I fixed it.

The big stuff can be daunting, but try ticking off some of the little ones.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a happy one tbh

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘In a rut… help me read my way out..’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts