Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Improving basic fitness quickly
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

High intensity interval training has been shown to deliver the biggest benefits in the shortest time

It’s also the quickest lost fitness .

Quick gotten gains and also quickly lost. But I agree HIIT specifically circuit classes. Give your whole body a jump start

rob8624
    Free Member

Running 100%

I was fairly fit on the bike but started doing some enduros and quickly found out that is wasn’t anywhere near as fit as the quicker riders. So, I decided to start running just over a year ago and mixed in with some simple core work, it has vastly improved my fitness, strength and overall ability on the bike. Start slowly, don’t worry about speed and just focus on building distance gently, I started by just running a mile a week, then increasing it until i could do 4 miles without any injuries or joint pain. Anyway, a year later, I can run half marathon distance pretty quickly and I am way fitter in every way on the bike.

Poopscoop

Op if you want to ride a bike but don’t want the risk of an off?…

Zwift.

Seriously, it’s a game changer. Get a cheap smart trainer and a subscription and ride your balls off. Its fun (I know,a turbo trainer “fun” but it genuinely is),addictive and social… If you want it to be.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

OP:

I tore my Achilles 5 years ago – never did stretches properly during rehab so reckon running would be a nightmare.

Everyone:

run!

rascal, if possible I’d be getting to see a decent physio re achilles.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but the Achilles was 5 years ago, I’m sure it’ll be okay now ffs! 😂

twonks

You’d think that’s the case @Nobeerinthefridge but I had a complete rupture of my achilles in 2011 and it still gives me trouble. If the whole lower leg isn’t stretched and massaged every couple of days it sets like concrete and has limited range of movement.

I’d certainly not want to run on it, so if Rascals is anything like the same I’d be on the side of caution with regards to running.

Doesn’t lack strength or feel weak as such, just tight and stiff until worked.

I’d second the Zwift as it is great fun. I’m about to start doing 30 minutes every week day before work and harder 60 min sessions on a Tuesday and Thursday evening, with regular mtb ride at the weekend.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never know until you try, Joss Naylor was told he’d never run, as was Fiona Oakes who wins ultras with no kneecap!

ta11pau1

You’ve got me thinking about doing couch to 5k, it’s hard getting a ride in some weeks, getting kitted up and going out in the dark for 2 hours. Going for a 30-40 minute run is a lot more doable!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Jump around, jump around
    Jump up jump up and get down

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And couch to 5k

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Couch to 5k is brilliant, and who doesn’t like Michael Johnson motivating you? 😊

singletrackmind

If I had torn my achilles tendon I would be fearful of repeating the injury and being imobilised for months , putting myself further away from where I wanted to be
    Pretending cycling is achilles friendly, or at least safer , then its got to be a mix up of intervals, hill reps , hill sprints , and some Tabbata style reps
    Needn’t take very long , 20 – 30 mins Tues and Thurs with a longer 2hr effort at the weekend

Anything that gets you really blowing , and uses the same muscles as cycling will have an effect. Although improving basic fitness quickly isn’t easy unless you have unlimited time and resources

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Improving basic fitness quickly’ is closed to new replies.