Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Improve my peaks route?
  • slackboy

Considering a big (for me) day out in the peaks, going from Hadfield to Sheffield. I’ve planned out this route which takes in longdendale trail, cut gate and stanage/blacka moor.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3204266062

Anyone got any suggestions to improve it? I’m not bothered  too much about getting in all the techy bits  but I’m not sure if theres a better way off Stanage and onto Houndskirk.

Cheers.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

After 67 goback up to the top( was it 59?) And then through lady Cannings.

I presume the diversion across the dam at 4,5 is an error?

Stanage bit looks good assuming you’re going up the causeway?

The bit along the a628 doesn’t seem quite right, but I’m happy to be told otherwise. You’ve missed the snow road and a shirt bit of bridleway.also I went south of that last reservoir rather than north. Is north good or is it on the a628?

The a628 is utter death. Completely horrific. Do anything you can to avoid it.

This is the route I did along A628, cut gate etc on Sunday.

https://strava.app.link/4s9Y2n9Ko7

Ps the bit you are doing at the SE end of ladybower is great. If you can clean the initial section up the paving slabs after the rest of that ride then you’re doing well.

riklegge

Are you dead set on doing cut gate? I only ask as I’d be tempted to head south at the beginning (it would involve a few km along roads I guess to Hayfield) and take in Jacobs Ladder, then Jaggers Clough, Hope Cross and down either Potato Alley or Beast, Hagg Farm, Lockerbrook descent to Ladybower then join your existing route.

Also, not certain it’s still the case, but at 55, the track under Burbage used to be permissive to ride. Worth checking as personally I think that section is lovely. You could then do the Blacka bit and loop back to 65 to ride the Houndkirk bit in reverse, via Lady Cannings, and down the road to Whirlow (or if you want to extend drop down Hangram Lane at Ringinglow and then head through the parks all the way into Sheffield).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’d do the first half radically differently – you’ll lose Cutgate, but otherwise – more interesting riding.

From Glossop – come off the A57 and loop round by the golf course south of the town until you come out on the A624. You can then pick up Middle Moor (as a climb) up to the Shooting Cabins, down to Kinder Res, up to Brown Knoll and on to Jacobs Ladder. Edale, Jaggers Clough, Beast or Potato Alley, up to the crossroads at the top of Hagg Farm, Lockerbrook to Fairholmes.

Re the Blacka/Houndkirk end of things – from 55 I’d do the Green Drive down to the A6187, up to 65, then at the Stony Ridge carpark where the green Blacka Moor text is – there’s a fun permissive bridleway that runs parallel to the road, which take you to 62 ish. Down Devils Elbow, then back up 63, 64 onto your original route.

The Lady Cannings trails go from a bit south of 57 to 69 near as dammit

69/70/71 is moderately busy Footpath. I ride up it in the week a fair bit, but I wouldn’t ride down it during the week in daylight hours at MTB pace, or use it at the weekend at all. The “official” way would be Clough Lane/Porter Brook to Forge Dam, up Ivy Cottage Lane, Common Lane, Brocksford Pavilion, then down Colt Lane/Fenney Lane.

BadlyWiredDog

The bit along the a628 doesn’t seem quite right, but I’m happy to be told otherwise. You’ve missed the snow road and a shirt bit of bridleway.also I went south of that last reservoir rather than north. Is north good or is it on the a628?

You can do the Hadfield to Cut Gate bit avoiding the Woodhead Road, which is horrific. Think speeding artics a few feet off your shoulder. Simply follow the Longdendale Trail until it reaches the road then go straight over, down the road to Dunford Bridge, turn right down the disused railway (TPBW) then turn off at the obvious bridleway cutting back across towards Langsett etc You don’t need to ride the A 628 and the Snow Road is basically a pair of very deep grassy ruts.

But yes, I’d probably head across on either the Roych or Jacob’s unless you really want to ride Cut Gate, which on a good day is a great trail.

slackboy

thanks Guys, that’s really useful stuff.

Are you dead set on doing cut gate

Not set on it, but never done it and seemed like a good opportunity.

I’d do the first half radically differently

I’ll take a look at that, thanks.

If you can clean the initial section up the paving slabs after the rest of that ride then you’re doing well.

Not a chance, tried and failed when fresh. 🙂

slackboy

69/70/71 is moderately busy Footpath

I know it well , the inlaws live at Whirlow. I’m always prepared to get off and walk that section

tuboflard

I’d do as other suggest and head in to Edale instead of Cut Gate. Also, 55 is definitely a footpath so be prepared to get some earache, the green drive beneath the edge is a permissive bridleway. If you want some other suggestions in to town from Ringinglow just say too, some nice trails right to Hunters Bar.

Superficial
    Free Member

55 is also going to be really hard work at 50km in! But great. From the South/West end of Stanage it’d be quicker to just zip along the road to the North entrance to Houndkirk. There also a path directly across the moor from Burbage North to OxStones/Lady Canning’s (it’s not on my OS maps but is on OSM) which is probably less contentious than 55 and will be nice if it’s dry.

Whatever you do, it looks like a great day out – enjoy!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

also, in terms of current conditions (18 Jun) Cut Gate will suck. I did it last Sunday and it was as wet as I have seen it (not that I’ve seen it particularly wet TBH, but still)
    After the biblical rain this week it will be even worse.

slackboy

nice trails right to Hunters Bar.

Yes, please. planning to head for whirlow, but could go to eccleshall instead

Cut Gate will suck

Message received and understood 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

The recent rain, whilst irksome, has been absorbed by / washed over the moors and conditions are still… OK. A bit of standing water here and there and the odd bit of mud but I haven’t seen any gloop.

I can’t speak of Cut Gate (haven’t been up there recently) but a lot of the eastern peak is holding up well.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You’ve changed this, haven’t you? I was starting to think I got utterly confused last night!

As Superficial says (as current) – 55-58, as drawn is FP – the permissive B/Way (Green Drive) is to the west of that – have a look on the satellite view and its obvious. Plus if its anything less than absolutely bone dry I wouldn’t take his alternative past Oxstones – its peaty moorland and doesn’t need trashing or spreading any wider than it already is

slackboy

i have, was starting to incorporate some feedback from here

I’ll update it later, maybe make two versions, original and stw approved 🙂

dthom3uk

I did Cut Gate on Monday and it wasn’t too bad apart from the usual bog at the top. Definitely one for a dry spell though to make the most of it.

tuboflard

+1 for what @JonEdwards says about the track to Ox Stones, it’s on pretty sensitive land and unless a prolonged heatwave is a bog fest and is getting worse by the year.

For other tracks in to town, Coit Lane off Ringinglow Road north to south is fun. There’s a nice short permissive trail just after the covered reservoir coming down Ringinglow Road from the pub on the left, over in a minute but nice and flowy. You can then head across the park opposite, turn down Common Lane/Whiteley Wood Road for 100m then right up the track on Trap Lane. Cut through the back road to top of Bents Green Avenue/Road and then you’re on the bridleway in to the Porter Valley. From there a pleasant trundle to Hunters Bar.

slackboy

Mk2 route – thanks for all your advice.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3207221326

tuboflard

Looks great. 36 to 39 though you have a crappy push up and then a footpath down towards the road. Better sticking to the BW and head straight to Cutthroat Bridge.

slackboy

36 to 39 though you have a crappy push up

Ta, changed to follow bridleway.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Improve my peaks route?’ is closed to new replies.