Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Imported beers…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I often wonder about them. Now although it is possible to brew and bottle beer abroad and then ship or truck it to the UK, the cynic in me thinks that – as with fruit juice – the ‘essence’ of the product is concentrated for transport, with the required water being added prior to bottling in the UK. It would be a far more efficient way of doing things…

Have I stumbled across the beer trade’s greatest secret?

jambourgie
    Free Member

I used to love San Miguel imported lager. Then it changed to ‘Brewed in the UK’ and it was horrible. For a time you could get both, the big thick imported bottles with the screw top and the new little UK bottles with a regular cap, and the difference was obvious.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes, I’m well wise to the ‘brewed in the UK’ scam…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The only San Miguel I drink comes from far away.

Also, I only drink it when far away. Like here, for example;

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used to drink the San Miguel from the Phillipines when I lived in HK. Much better than the other San Miguel’s I’ve had.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Steve, see above! Bonus points if you can name the bar I was at in the second picture…

nealglover
    Free Member

No.

chakaping
    Free Member

How many have you had?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I often wonder about them. Now although it is possible to brew and bottle beer abroad and then ship or truck it to the UK, the cynic in me thinks that – as with fruit juice – the ‘essence’ of the product is concentrated for transport, with the required water being added prior to bottling in the UK. It would be a far more efficient way of doing things…

That’s how beer kits are made. If you’ve ever made a beer kit, and then brewed from scratch, the difference is obvious

CountZero

Stuff you get at the pump is brewed in the UK, mostly lager, and it’s a poor substitute for the real stuff.
    Anything in bottles is likely to have been brewed at home and imported, which will be printed on the label.

cranberry
    Free Member

Steve, see above! Bonus points if you can name the bar I was at in the second picture…

The Paper- and Bulldog-Clip?

bigrich

one of the reasons the colonies are big on hops are the beers were brewed and shipped and it was added as a preservative.

I’m currently well into this.

http://hopworksbeer.com/organic-beer/hopworks-ipa

wallop

The Paper- and Bulldog-Clip?

Or The Pen & Post-It

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Imported beers…’ is closed to new replies.