Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Import Tax/Duty from the USA
  • cheviots
    Free Member

Can my one tell me how much import tax and customs charges I’d have to pay when importing goods from the USA?
    Item is valued at $350 (approx £210) with shipping costs of $170 (approx £100).
    Thanks

spooky_b329

On a $300 item I paid £46 inc fees. However I think duty and vat is chargeable on the shipping fee too and my shipping was much cheaper.

To get an accurate idea, you need to look up the commodity codes (Google) for the duty, then add the vat.

bradley
    Free Member

You’ll pay about £90. I just had a motocross bike exhaust delivered (value £170 inc shipping) and paid £30 duty/tax.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Import duty about 5% on bike stuff then vat at 20% on top plus handling fees.

bikebob

I looked into this a while back. Rates as mike states above. Thus goods including post £300. Import duty 5% gives total £315. VAT on total gives 300 goods, 15 duty, 63 VAT. Total 378 or pretty near. Some will tell you they never got charged, good luck to them. The carrier collects the duty prior to delivery. I took the view the large big name carriers will have a pretty robust system for tax collection. In the end no cheaper than sourcing from the UK. ( if you can).

Drac

Total customs value (CIF): £308.28

This is the amount that customs values your import at
    – Duty: £14.49
    – VAT: £64.55

Total import duty & taxes due: £79.04
    This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
    Total landed cost: £387.32

This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
    at exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.69 USD

popstar
    Free Member

I bought hid projectors and other bits from US, total cost was $360 delivery included. Came click to door in 5 days. Didnt pay any tax/duty malarkey.

Ordered food flask from amazon (japan) worth £50, and forked out £18 of duty/tax/handling fee on top of it. Bastids.

cheviots
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, it’s about what I expected.
    Some you win some you lose!
    I’ll see if there’s a uk source.

jerseychaz

FWIW, I bought a new rear lamp cluster for my Mazda off that auction site! Heaps cheaper than Mazda UK and shipped from the USA – the bill for duty (10%) and VAT – 20% 0n the whole lot arrived about 6 weeks after the package. DHL seem to settle up with HMRC and then bill you. So, just because you haven’t been charged yet, doesn’t mean you won’t be!

Sui
    Free Member

+1 jersey

also, duty rates are set a different levels depending on the commodity code the item falls under. Some are only a couple of % some are 20% or more some are 0%. All are subject to VAT on the product value + the import duty.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also anyone being smug about skipping the tax should pay what they owe or they are as bad as Amazon/Google/Apple in the rest of the tax evading scum 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Import Tax/Duty from the USA’ is closed to new replies.