• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by escrs.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Import fees for forks from France, is this correct?
  • escrs
    Free Member

So before i ask please no Brexit comments

Looking to buy some forks from France

The forks cost 730 Euros with 14 euros postage

The tax calculator i used says there is 0 duty to pay but VAT is £128

Now the forks are 730 Euros which works out to be £627 and the postage is £12 according to a online currency convertor so a total of £639

So that’s £639 plus the VAT charged at 20% comes to £766

Is that correct? anything Ive missed? might get stung with upon delivery?

Thanks

matt_outandabout

So before i ask please no Brexit comments

Spoil sport.

kelvin

Are the forks made in France, or elsewhere in the EU?

toby

As I understand it, you may well have to pay a semi random administration / handling fee to the courier.

chiefgrooveguru

If they’re made by any of the major brands they’ll be made outside the EU and thus attract duty as well.

escrs
    Free Member

Spoil sport.

Yep, fed up hearing about people moaning, its happened, deal with it! oh and now we are discussing it Doh!

Are the forks made in France, or elsewhere in the EU?

Forks orignate from Taiwan (Rockshox)

stevextc
    Free Member

Is that correct? anything Ive missed? might get stung with upon delivery?

It’s up to the company as to how much they charge you handling the import.

The zero duty is listed as under UK/EU trade and cooperation agreement. I’d say this may change so timing may be dependent. This assumes forks come under HS87149990)

chiefgrooveguru

“ The zero duty is listed as under UK/EU trade and cooperation agreement.”

Zero duty is only for items that are predominantly made in the UK or EU. Imported parts don’t count.

kelvin

So…

( (original price + postage ) * 1.047 ) * 1.20 + random amount charged for the privilege of collecting the money off you.

Can we mention Brexit now?

bruneep

cost of forks + import fee @ 4.7% + vat @ 20% then handler charge £12-15

assuming Border Force charge the correct commodity code. If not you pay it then reclaim it by good old fashion letter post.

kelvin

[ ignore that trailing “7” there in my post…. it’s a 4% tariff on bike parts now, not 4.7% … old habits die hard ]

tomhoward

Remember the retailer should take french VAT off their selling price, if they haven’t already.

bruneep

it’s a 4% tariff on bike parts now, not 4.7%

Depends ….. what BF think what category they fall into

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8714913039

kelvin

Remember the retailer should take french VAT off their selling price, if they haven’t already

Indeed… a link to the actual product from the actual retailer, and details of the actual shipping method/company chosen would help people give a more specific answer, rather than a whole load of “it depends”.

Depends ….. what BF think what category they fall into

True. I think buying a single suspension fork its 4% whatever. But don’t get me started on rigid forks shipped with the frame as part of a package. And let’s not go near complete bikes… can we talk about Brexit now?

kelvin

Can you buy a single suspension fork? Or is one item a pair of forks?! Now that’s a real question to get stuck into.

bruneep

I think buying a single suspension fork its 4% whatever.

I was charged 4.7%

I’m not looking when my frame/shock comes from Germany next month + accessories. I just know its gonna be a cluster when PF and BF are involved.

kelvin

Oh.

Well, let’s put that in with all the other “it depends” parameters when people ask these questions then.

Can we talk about Brexit now?

zippykona

I have a contact in France who is going to smuggle me some brakes in when they come over.
    Cheap bits and sovreentea ,I’m such a winner.

smokey_jo

France? Amateurs. Find someone in France who can buy things from Luxembourg and then ship them to UK as 2nd hand / used.

Got a nice pair of 29er aurons for 100 euro plus a bottle of gin 😊

kerley
    Free Member

Can we talk about Brexit now?

No, as the OP said it is done now so deal with it although they don’t seem to be able to deal with it as they don’t understand what something is going to cost and have to ask about it before buying. Just buying the forks and paying whatever it costs is “dealing with it”

robbo1234biking

Can you buy a single suspension fork? Or is one item a pair of forks?! Now that’s a real question to get stuck into.

Thats a Leftie isnt it?!

intheborders
    Free Member

What’s the UK price for the fork?

Superficial
    Free Member

Thats a Leftie isnt it?!

This is a Brexut thread, the preferred nomenclature is snowflake.

happybiker
    Free Member

I bought some brakes from Germany last week. It was £190 including postage. Got stung £55 import duty, £12 of that was an admin fee.

Bought some forks a month ago from Germany, no fees…. So it’s a gamble.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Ordered a Sram GX cassette from Alltricks in France last Saturday, arrived yesterday. £165 including deliver + a fiver for currency conversion. No other fees.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies, even the Brexit ones lol

Fork was a Rockshox Pike Ultimate from Alltricks in France

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11918-fourches/P-1495460-rockshox_pike_ultimate_29___39___39__rc2_debonair_fork___boost_15x110mm___offset_51___silver_2021

But all moot now as Ive managed to source one in the UK for cheaper

Hope the no Brexit talk didn’t wind some of you up to much!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Import fees for forks from France, is this correct?’ is closed to new replies.