Import duty when buying from uk website

Home Forum Chat Forum Import duty when buying from uk website

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Import duty when buying from uk website
  • teddy

So, bought an item from a uk website (proper one based in uk) and turns out they import said item from japan and send it directly to me.

As you can imagine, I am now liable for the import duty apparently (according to seller)

isnt there some consumer act or something that this contravenes? Should the import duty be stated in the selling price?

Advice sought and gratefully recieved!

tjagain

Its been imported for you so you have to pay import duty.  did the UK website warn you?  That would be the only comeback if they did not I guess

mattyfez

Sounds like a con to me, you’re only liable for the import charges if you import something, but there’s several grey areas.

It sounds like the company might be UK, but holds no stock, imported it and just passed on the cost to you.

More details needed though, does it still work out cheaper if you cut out the middle man and import the item personally?

teddy

Company is uk based and has told me now that they don’t hold any uk stock. It has a statement buried in the site that the buyer may be liable for duty so not expecting much but it’s misleading at the least as the duty is not stated when you check out.

Not sure where I stand if I just say I don’t want it now…

km79

Was it you or your brother in law who ordered it?

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

Distance selling regs. Send it back to the seller and ask for a refund.

thecaptain

I’d start by refusing the delivery/bill rather than trying to take it and send back.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

I don’t mind paying the import duties… it’s the ridiculous administration fees that the Royal Mail at Mount Pleasance that I find objectionable.  Some sellers abroad are better than others and may be able to dispatch using a duty prepaid service.

teddy

I think the distance selling regs cover it. It states that the price should include all taxes on any online order.

Thanks guys. Top work!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.