• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by alpin.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Import/customs 🛃 charges from USA
  • alpin
    Free Member

Have searched the Web high and low for low profile fork mounts that don’t require you to hover the bike over the mount whilst trying to thread the axle through.

Unaka Gear have a great low profile mount, but they’re in the States.

75$ per mount. At current that’s ~£63.

Ordering two will prob push me over the £135 limit when shipping costs are included.

Is it all a bit hit and miss as to whether you get charged?

Other option is to order each mount individually and hope they don’t get picked up. (I need four of them).

tomhoward

The £135 order value is for the EU. It’s MUCH lower for the US. Allow an extra 25% on any order you make just to be sure. A lot of couriers add all the taxes and applicable duty in their total shipping costs, so if that seems crazy high, that will be why.

alpin
    Free Member

Company will ship to the UK for 43$.

Guess that DHL will add extra fees plus the import duty.

So 300$ for the goods, 43$ shipping is…… 343$

Plus fees for processing and the ~25% customs leaves me at around 280-300 sterling….?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

Whenever I’ve paid very high delivery charges, I’ve not had to pay import duty/VAT. I assume it’s included in the delivery fee. When the delivery is cheap, I’ve had to pay fees on arrival

alpin
    Free Member

How efficient are UK customs currently?

Other option is getting the sent to Canada and a mate brings them over at the end of the month.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Just order the things and put your hand in your pocket and pay some nurses wages if needed.

alpin
    Free Member

Just order the things and put your hand in your pocket and pay some nurses wages if needed.

In principal I agree with you…. However, never having used the services of the NHS, nor having been resident in the UK for the last 15 years and now no longer eligible for treatment by said nurses…. Blah blah blah.

Sandwich

Or order when you get back to Munich and take your chances with Finanzamt?

nicko74

alpin
    Free Member
    How efficient are UK customs currently?

Other option is getting the sent to Canada and a mate brings them over at the end of the month.

If you do this, you’ll still get hit with (Canadian) customs. Do check how they’re sending it – Canada Post is like the sh*ttest form of roulette you’ll ever play in terms of delivery dates, but the couriers pull the usual tricks of customs charges + “handling fee” + other arbitrary fee etc.

alpin
    Free Member

Or order when you get back to Munich and take your chances with Finanzamt?

Most likely the case given the time constraints here and because my mate’s Canadian missus also more or less said….

Canada Post is like the sh*ttest form of roulette you’ll ever play in terms of delivery dates, but the couriers pull the usual tricks of customs charges + “handling fee” + other arbitrary fee

Unfortunately German customs aren’t so shoddy in their approach to work as their Anglo-Saxon cousins.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.