Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Imperial War Museum North
  • white101

Spent yesterday morning in here, very sobering reminder of the recent past. I learnt a lot about the the build up to the start of the WWI & WWII. Some strikingly similar themes and images in the continuous propaganda that fed the fervent imaginations of the public via the media and politicians of the day.

A very moving poem by Tony Walsh played over some very powerful images reduced a number of people to tears.

Well worth the visit in you are down Salford Quays way.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I went there a few years ago now but it really didn’t do it for me . I wanted to see tanks , planes , guns , uniforms and all that sort of stuff not listen to the sounds of combat and read poetry . Obviously my opinion may well differ to other peoples but if you are expecting to see something similar to the Imperial War Museum in London then you are going to be disappointed .

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Agree with Neil, totally underwhelming IMHO.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

It’s not as impressive as the London one (few are), but it’s still really good.

fossy

It’s a shame the viewing platform has been closed – not great if you have issues with heights, as I do, but glad I did it when I had the chance.  You don’t realise how ‘thick’ tanks were until you can ‘feel one’.

white101

I saw tanks, and a harrier jet and plenty guns even one belonging to JRR Tolkein, plenty uniforms and helmets and that kind off equipment. I didn’t go there with any expectations of the place, I just went and read about peoples lives and experiences of war, the build up and the aftermath.

The thing that struck me the most was the similarities to certain movements here and in Europe today and the way some people are making capital out of misinformation and the politics of fear.

scuttler

I think most people’s perceptions of war museums are ‘big stuff’ and no doubt IWM branches have that in spades (HMS Belfast, Duxford, main IWM). Whilst I’m a fan of that, IWM North is arguably the most relevant if not the most appealing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Imperial War Museum North’ is closed to new replies.