Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)
  • Imperial measurements – when are they still used
  • paton
    Free Member

10 oz steak

paton
    Free Member

12 inch pizza

paton
    Free Member

21 foot scaffold tube

metalheart
    Free Member

Last time I checked there were still 24 hours in day and 3600 seconds in an hour. Up you jacques! 🤪
    Pipes are weird. Screwed MS (heating) pipe is listed in mm dia but is just the internal diameter in inches converted. As valves, etc, have screwed (BSP) conns are in inches… so, 50mm pipe, 2” valve…

Copper pipe (Table X) is all mm and is the external dia…

Also, my favourite velocity is furlongs per fortnight, that’s a proper measure now…

paton
    Free Member

8′ x 4′ sheet of MDF / Plywwod / OSB

Twodogs

I thought that Marathons in any other part of the world were 40km

theotherjonv

tuppenny rice and treacle. Resolutely imperial.

metalheart
    Free Member

One measure I’ve always **** detested is Btu’s…

Makes my bleeding blood boil so it does.

1973 is when we went metric, grrrrr.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Old BSA barrels were 5.6mm in .22. Modern pellets are indeed 5.56mm, which don’t seal as well so lose power and potentially accuracy. Eley Wasps were available in both so you could choose. Just to confuse matters you can also get Air Arms pellets with different skirt measurements as some match barrels can be pellet fussy.

That’s the one I was thinking of. I have a Diana 52 with a really fussy barrel, slack as a slack thing for some reason. JSB Exacts come in 0.01mm increments as well (though seemingly have as much spread as the next tin depending on the die).

Cougar it could well be Nm depending on if its the force or energy you are measuring.

paton
    Free Member

hot_fiat

Railway track gauges. It’s mainly 4’ 8 1/2”. The Russians, Fins, Indians and Spanish have their own standards though again these are imperial.

Interestingly (no really), 4’ 8 1/2” is also Roman chariot gauge.

perchypanther
    Free Member

When constructing a Death Star

Cougar

One measure I’ve always **** detested is Btu’s…

I was just about to say that. One and a bit kJ innit? That really shouldn’t be hard to move away from.

maccruiskeen

8′ x 4′ sheet of MDF / Plywwod / OSB

Except when its not – especially OSB. OSB varies between an Imperial equivalent 2444mm and and Metric 2400mm depending on what thickness and grade. I imagine in some instances its sized to be paired with plasterboard which is also a dead 2400mm on the same framing.

A handy way to learn his is to have built all your framing before the truck with 50 sheets of OSB turns up and find non of it fits 🙂

Cougar

Railway track gauges. It’s mainly 4’ 8 1/2”. The Russians, Fins, Indians and Spanish have their own standards though again these are imperial.

Interestingly (no really), 4’ 8 1/2” is also Roman chariot gauge.

Is that actually true?

There’s an apocryphal tale about why railway gauges are related to the size of a horses’ arse, culminating in it being a limiting factor in the design of the Space Shuttle’s engines. How true any or all of it is I’ve mo idea.

maccruiskeen

Just thought – is this why IKEA mattresses are a weird size? Cos they’re in metric and our king Size is 5 feet?

Ikea seem to be phasing out their metric mattresses and bedding in favour of olde fashioned UK sizes.

Bought new mattress from there last month – I built my bed to fit an ikea mattress but when replacing it they only had one metric mattress left in stock of the one I wanted and only about 10% of the sheets they sell are metric and they don’t stock their whole range in those sized.

Shame if you’re tall because the metric mattresses are longer.

maccruiskeen

There’s an apocryphal tale about why railway gauges are related to the size of a horses’ arse,

ID or OD?

takisawa2

I always work out thrusts for the disc springs in our actuator ranges in inches & pounds then convert to Newton’s.
    I find there’s less potential for error as the numbers are smaller.

ratherbeintobago

Not forgetting Ireland.

Northwind

Industrial metal bands fronted by Trent Reznor

Games Workshop games

senorj

De la soul album title.

slowoldman

I remember Pfund from holidays in Germany as a lad. I’m surprised they still use it.

At school woodwork and metal work were imperial but physics and chemistry metric. As a civil engineer up until the 90s both were interchangeable even though the bricks, pipes, rebar or whatever were in fact all metric by then. Calculations were metric though – apart from a short period working overseas for an American consultant. Moments in kips feet!

Oh I buy meat at the butchers in pounds, though the scales are metric.

redmex
    Free Member

My Systemdek spins either 33 or 45 rpm but I’m guessing the SI unit is just the same but I thought I’d chuck it in and see

Last time I checked there were still 24 hours in day and 3600 seconds in an hour. Up you jacques! 🤪

Strictly speaking that’s Babylonian, not imperial. Although I believe the pesky French tried to decimalise the calender after their revolution.

paton
    Free Member

psi

paton
    Free Member

bhp

paton
    Free Member

Jet engines / gas turbines are rated in
    lbs thrust.

stevious

Why wouldn’t you call something a ‘Shatments’?

paton
    Free Member

Hair clippers are in increments of 1/16″.

redmex
    Free Member

If you drive an old school Mustang or own a Shelby Cobra you will brag about your inches to the power of 3

paton
    Free Member

4 1/2″ grinder
    6″ grinder
    12″ grinder

paton
    Free Member

Shirt collar size.

metalheart
    Free Member

If you drive an old school Mustang or own a Shelby Cobra you will brag about your inches to the power of 3

See also, Harley Davidson… 😱

paton
    Free Member

6 inch heels

maccruiskeen

UK Shoe sizes are in increments of one Barley Corn

maccruiskeen

12″ grinder

Swipes right

paton
    Free Member

btu

CountZero

I’m pretty cavalier about measurements, I’ll use whatever’s convenient. I was born in 1954, so all my growing up and education was through the 60’s, as a result I automatically think in pints, miles, pounds, feet, inches, etc. However, I spent most of my working life in print and publishing, which was already moving into metric for paper sizes, using international A, B and C sized paper. Except America uses an A-size that’s Imperial, and a completely different size…
    So now everything gets mixed and matches, I use Fahrenheit and centigrade, I have a good idea of how they match – my ideal outdoor temperature is around 70℉, about 20℃,
    8-10℃ is about 48-50℉, and on the cool side. I can easily extrapolate from there,
    30℃ is too sodding hot!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Imperial measurements – when are they still used’ is closed to new replies.