Imperial measurements – when are they still used

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 196 total)
  • Imperial measurements – when are they still used
  • Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

In a metric country of course.

I can only think of inches for depth of snow and penis length and lb/ozs for baby weight. These seem to have weathered the march of the centimetres and kilos.

scotroutes

Lots of bike standards

Miles per gallon

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Pints for beer and milk

Lb. For anything in 454g packs.

Feet and inches for guesstimating because no one sees in metre.

(also feet and inches for at least one but not more than half the dimensions submitted by a trade, obviously no indication is given which dimensions are ” which are cm etc)

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Are London Red buses still classed as Imperial, I can never get enough of knowing how tall a building or statue is without picturing red London buses piled up top to bottom to get an idea of the scale?
    Usually think of this over a pint.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Harry Tuttle
    Subscriber

Aircraft- altitude in feet. Also, an aircraft design is either metric or imperial, never mixed so even today we have aircraft in the UK where everything including test and ground equipment is imperial.

Also: The USA, they still set international standards. For example, in archery, a riser with ‘international standard’ limb fitting has imperial threaded fittings.

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

I think that in the UK road signs are required by law only to display imperial distances.

mogrim

Really?

After >20yrs in Spain the only ones I still use are inches for the TV screen, and pints for beer. (And the latter are usually “pintas”, which are sort of pints but probably closer to half-litres and either way not a legally defined measurement).

I think aircon fitments are commonly Imperial measurements still (this coming from an old workmate who did building services stuff, though I’ve just realised he told me this 20 years ago so it may all have changed !)

nealglover

When I am doing medical questionnaires almost everyone I ever speak to gives their height and weight in imperial
    (with no prompting in either direction and across all age groups)

I worked in Aircraft Engine overhaul for 16 years, it was all imperial, Mainly due to GE, Pratt and Whitney, Boeing etc, can’t speak for Rolls Royce.

brownsauce

UK road signs still give distances in miles…..

scotroutes

When I was in BC, river distance was given in miles but water levels in metres.

Stoner

Just about all bathroom shower hose fittings in the world are 1/2″ BSP

whitestone

I’ll use a mixture of metric and imperial for distance: usually metric up to about 400 metres then it’s 500m, half a mile, one kilometre, a mile, etc. Basically taking the nearest major unit in whichever system. But I’ll say I’m 1.80m tall but have a 42″ chest – no consistency there is there?

Weight is kilos all the way for me. Interestingly I’ve heard older French people use “un poid” for half a kilo rather than the “correct” “un livre”.

Temperature – Celcius all the way.

Drinks: yeah, a pint of beer but apart from that it’s litres.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I think that in the UK road signs are required by law only to display imperial distances.

When I lived in Buckingham the council put up a bunch of lovely cast iron (?) signs around the town for local cycle routes and wAlks with the distances in metres all had to be replaced.
    They also did new road sign for my village and got the name wrong. Took them ages to accept they had to change the signs. Budget was tight and they actually asked if we thought it was all that important.

Subscriber

Really?

Yep, stand up, look directly down and tell me what you see, your feet or your metres? (or gut I suppose given this is stw)

submarined

Tyre sizes for both cars and bikes (for cats they simultaneously use metric, imperial, and percentage to specify size…)

A large amount of pipework fittings (automotive, domestic water and gas, industrial)

Seatbelt bolts (even if the rest of the car is metric…)

Tool drive sizes (i.e sockets drive)

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/105605/jacob-rees-mogg-orders-staff-use-imperial

Mr Rees-Mogg meanwhile advises staff to always use imperial measurements, most of which have been phased out in the UK from the mid-1960s onwards.

I’m metric.

willard

Plumbing? I see a lot of 1/2″BSP and NPT threaded stuff still.

Also shooting. It’s not all 7.62×51, .308Win gets a lot of business

Subscriber

Tyre sizes for both cars and bikes (for cats they simultaneously use metric, imperial, and percentage to specify size…)

Erm, if your cat has tyres I’d suggest it’s defective.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Weight is kilos all the way for me.

Which strictly speaking is incorrect anyway. Kilograms is the unit for mass, not weight. The correct SI unit for weight is Newtons, because it is a force. 🤓

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

A lot of machines/tools I work on use imperial fixings on them
    Some of our sales guys don’t even know what imperial is.😂

Yes ***** that needs a 3/8 bolt
    What’s 3/8 mean?
    Is it like a fraction.

Youth of today ay.😉

I’m off to my workshop to polish my Witworth spanners

Yards for measuring rough distances as I can just about stride a yard. I think you’d have to be a lanky bastard to be able to stride a metre.

koldun

Plumbing is i believe. I got a shock in Germany when i went to buy some piping with a page of metric measurements 😀

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yep, stand up, look directly down and tell me what you see, your feet or your metres? (or gut I suppose given this is stw)

Adidas trainers.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Yep, stand up, look directly down and tell me what you see, your feet or your metres?

My feet, in shoes, are around 12.5 inches, so not a bad estimate, but I have pretty big feet. That wouldn’t work so well for my daughters, who do see in metres not feet.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Pensioners, nationalists and Americans mostly.

ransos

Last time I was in France, I bought a “pinte” of beer and received 500 ml. Odd.

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure camera tripod screw thread is some weird imperial thread.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

On my bike I measure distance and speed in imperial but height in meters.

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

Music (I would walk 800km, 23cm Nails, Moonlight 1.6km…) would just be weird in metric.

Last time I worked in a machine shop was admittedly a lifetime ago but I’d be surprised if thous had been replaced.

whytetrash

Aircraft industry… 1/4, 5/16/3/8….must be confusing for our apprentices 😉

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Youth of today ay.😉

I’m off to my workshop to polish my Witworth spanners

Whitworth. Old folk of today eh? 🙄

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I guess in the UK we still use Imperial where it would be prohibitively expensive to change for relatively little gain. Changing every roadsign in the country, for instance, would be a massive undertaking with little benefit. Most people still think in miles anyway, don’t they (is this still true of younger generations)?

We think we buy stuff like milk in pints, but we don’t, we buy it in multiples of 568ml. I’m actually somewhat surprised that this hasn’t changed yet, it’d be a neat way of stealth shrinkflation.

whitestone

Many years ago we were doing some tidying up on the farm. In one corner of the building was a barrel full of nuts and bolts and “bits”.

Me: “Shall we get rid of this lot?”

Dad: “No, they might come in useful.”

Me, picking a nut and bolt at random: “This is a Two and three thirty second Whitworth threaded nut and bolt. We don’t need it.”

Dad: “Put it back, we might need it.”

Me: “How? ALL the machinery on the farm uses metric bolts.”

Dad: “We might need it.”

After he died we weighed in the barrel. Apparently some lad named Tomkinson melted it all down and made a model icebreaker.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Guitars

Scale length and fretboard radius stated in inches for example (albeit some manufacturers quote metric but it’s rare)

I’d guess other musical instruments may be the same

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

because no one sees in metre.

Apart from people who do, of course.

Plumbing cunningly uses both, see 15mm x 1/2″ BSP male, 22mm x 3/4″ etc etc

Tires do as well 225/50 R17 – 225mm wide but 17″ diameter

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 196 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.